Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 15, '12, 8:41 am

Religion: Orthodox (ACROD)
Default Re: Can Liberal Christianity Be Saved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
This is a comment posted in the comment section of the article:

Says it all really.
Exactly. Liberal Christianity is doomed to fail. It can inspire no martyrs, saints, and missionaries to die for, live out, and spread the faith, if its adherents fail to show any conviction in their tenets (apart from arguing zealously that truth in the moral domain is all relative and those who disagree are in need of conversion only from intolerance).

Let us experience a Coptic Orthodox Gospel proclamation.

Pray for the world's persecuted Christians.

Last edited by Trebor135; Jul 15, '12 at 8:54 am.
Old Jul 15, '12, 8:47 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Son1 View Post
Ok, I can agree. Where I find disagreement is keeping people separated without trying to love correct them into His truth. We are to love all people according to His commandment, even our enemies.

Didn't these particular liberal Christians seperate themselves from the Truth?
Old Jul 15, '12, 8:50 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Quote:
My family came from a long line of liberal Christians, Mr. Douthat. My great-grandparents were Catholics who became Congregationalists, my grandparents were Congregationalists who became Unitarian Universalists, my father was a Unitarian Universalist who became an atheist, my mother a Christian who became an agnostic, my sister and I are atheists who've adopted moral utilitarianism as the framework of our morality.
Since all of us were all raised in liberal households that encouraged open and individual thought, we came up with our own ideas, and now our younger members have come to the honest conclusion that God does not exist. We don't believe you need religion to be a good person. You don''t need someone to tell you to a moral obligation to other people.
That's why liberal Christianity will die- liberals don't need it. It's problem is simple: no matter how accepting you are of homosexuals or women or other faiths, you won't win over the growing number of people who don't believe in a higher power. Conservatives, people who indoctrinate their children from a young age, will pass Christianity on to their children. That's the great divide, between the religious and the non-religious.

Says it all really.
WOW - an excellent summary....
Thanks for sharing that...

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Jul 15, '12, 8:58 am

When you believe in nothing, and teach your children to believe in nothing, then there is nothing to believe in. And no need for a church.
Old Jul 15, '12, 9:42 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Arrow Liberal Christianity, The Blind Leading the Blind

Blind men Leading Blind men leads to a horrible demise and an inevitable collapse. Pray that the masters sheep return to his pen.
Old Jul 15, '12, 10:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Son1 View Post
Why would we want any individuals to be excluded from His truth? Christ placed importance on the single sheep being returned. It's seems to me that there is an importance of having a 'flock' come back. In all things, love....
That's being done, in every way possible. Christ also didn't go and fetch back the prodigal but waited until he had "dined with the pigs" and recognized his need for salvation.
Old Jul 15, '12, 10:19 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
That's being done, in every way possible. Christ also didn't go and fetch back the prodigal but waited until he had "dined with the pigs" and recognized his need for salvation.

Yes - He recognized his need for repentance as well....

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Jul 15, '12, 10:25 am

Religion: Orthodox

Asking whether liberal Christianity can be saved is a bit like asking a cancer patient whether his cancer can be saved.

The answer is no, and no one will miss it.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams
Old Jul 15, '12, 10:35 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:

Says it all really.
I would tend to agee, liberalism produces unbelief.
Old Jul 15, '12, 11:20 am
Banned

Religion: A Christianity that doesn't exclude nor drives liberals away

I'm not sure whether the membership numbers of any church matters all that much or not since Christ did speak of "few". But since numbers of mainline - liberal Christians and specifically matters of the Episcopal Church it seems, draw so much attention to people on CAF, I'll share this.

The priest of a small Episcopal church near me said she has been tracking attendance of her English language service for sometime now on a spread sheet. They also have a Spanish service which is already the most heavily attended. And she told me recently the trend appears to be growing for the English service as well. I actually might add to its numbers as it is one I am considering attending after being told I am not a Catholic despite Sacraments which I apparently misunderstood made me one. And just generally being made to feel unwelcomed. Not by all certainly for which I am grateful but by too many for my taste. And I am told this church welcomes all as they are and wherever one is on their faith journey. That it is made up of many different people with different gifts, experiences and POV whose underlying purpose is to care for each other.

Believing it is only through the love and grace of Jesus that any of us are where we are.

The priest there is also willing to be of service to all, members as well as non members. I personally just see a lot of Christ in her and in this particular church. I remember reading in Jn 6 where Christ said He would turn no one away. And they also operate one of the best outreach programs I've known. I've donated to it because I like that it is not a thrift type store as some churches I know have. At this one the needy are actually given food and clothing free of charge.

In any case, wherever any of us are along our faith journeys, may God bless liberals, conservatives and all who walk in faith. Peace.
Old Jul 15, '12, 11:30 am

Religion: Protestant

No it can't and that seems to be a good thing based on where it has ended up. But liberal Christianity has been tremendously successful. Its main message is that Christianity is completely unnecessary. It says Sunday worship attendance, the church, prayer, fasting, abstinence and any sort of sacrifice is unnecessary. It defines sin as not accepting and valuing other people's sin. It has been successful because people have heard the message, believed it and lived it. But there is no need for the church in liberal Christianity. The state can do the same work and better since it can compel people. So the church must wither under liberal Christianity. Of course such a view seems to me not to be Christian because the church is a real thing and instituted by Christ. Any groups that says the church is not real and important is not really Christian.
Old Jul 15, '12, 11:37 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
One has to go through lies to get to the Truth whether we wish it so or not. I had to go through a whole lot of lies to get to the Truth! (and I started out Catholic to begin with!)
Yes, I put that badly. I should have said, Can we attract people to Truth by setting out lies on their path?

"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P

Old Jul 15, '12, 11:51 am
Banned

Religion: No Elephant In The Living Room Catholic

A good read.

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Greg16/g16mirar.htm
Old Jul 15, '12, 12:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnihilo View Post
No it can't and that seems to be a good thing based on where it has ended up. But liberal Christianity has been tremendously successful. Its main message is that Christianity is completely unnecessary. It says Sunday worship attendance, the church, prayer, fasting, abstinence and any sort of sacrifice is unnecessary. It defines sin as not accepting and valuing other people's sin. It has been successful because people have heard the message, believed it and lived it. But there is no need for the church in liberal Christianity. The state can do the same work and better since it can compel people. So the church must wither under liberal Christianity. Of course such a view seems to me not to be Christian because the church is a real thing and instituted by Christ. Any groups that says the church is not real and important is not really Christian.

Excellent post!
Old Jul 15, '12, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Francis View Post
Yes, I put that badly. I should have said, Can we attract people to Truth by setting out lies on their path?
We wouldn't be putting lies in their path. The lies are already there. Unless you are contending that we are somehow responsible for the existance of liberal Churches? Or are you referring to those who attempt to spread liberal ideas amongst Catholics.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions