Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 2, '12, 11:30 am
CAF News Bot

Post Obama Invited by Dolan to Speak at Annual Al Smith Dinner

Although controversy dogged his first appearance at the charityís annual fundraiser in 2008 alongside Sen. John McCain, Catholic Charities has again extended an invitation to President Obama to speak at this yearís event.

More...

Discussion welcomed and encouraged.
Old Aug 5, '12, 6:45 pm
Observing Member

Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Re: Obama Invited by Dolan to Speak at Annual Al Smith Dinner

I am writing to express concern that Cardinal Dolan would invite President Obama to the Al Smith dinner. It seems that the devil, who is the father of confusion, continues his assault on the Catholic Church. What I mean is that this action will cause confusion among voters. Itís hard enough with the media making Catholics to look foolish, but this continued catering to the President and his platform are unbelievable. It goes back to his lying to the faces of Catholics about HHS after we gave him recognition at Notre Dame. It goes back to his covering the crucifix at Georgetown University, a slap to our Lordís faceÖjust how much more are Catholics supposed to take before the Church wakes up?

Ultimately we will all answer to God, either in this life or the next. I will pray for President Obama, because that is what we are called to do. However, I donít believe we are called to stand by and allow evil to progress. If St. Paul were alive today, I hardly think he would be silent, or inviting these people to dinner. Even our Lord expressed passion when he overturned the tables in the temple. I believe that Cardinal Dolan was called to be a leader. I have seen his strength, but not in this case. But he is a leader, and like St. Paul, the leaders of the Catholic church today need to cut through the confusion. There is a right and wrong, and God made it very clear. I cannot believe that the Catholic Church will stand by while this all transpires.

I believe that this is a pivotal point in the Catholic Churchís history, and there have certainly been many crises in the past as well. I pray for Cardinal Dolan and other leaders of the Church to receive Godís grace to know what to do. God will prevail, because He always does.
Old Aug 5, '12, 7:00 pm

Religion: Catholic

This could be interesting. This event raises big $ for diff. charities & many may have to shut down because of Obama's HHS mandate. The pres. would certainly be on the defense. I am not sure Pres. Obama would show. Does he have the courage to defend his policy? He may be booed, huh??
Old Aug 6, '12, 12:20 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female

LifeSiteNews are wrong. This is speculation, it has not been confirmed. On EWTN's World Over Live, New York archdiocese spokesman Joseph Swilling denies the Life Site News report and the speaker or speakers for the dinner will be announced when they are confirmed which means they can not be confirmed

If Obama is invited, it is a joke, oh the Archdiocese of New York is suing your administration, but come anyway. I recognise this event typically has both nominees, even if 1 is pro abortion or pro gay marriage, but this is a very different person in Obama, who is somebody who supports forcing those of faith to go against their beliefs, and for him to be rewarded of sorts with a welcome to Al Smith dinner is bizarre

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News