Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Sep 25, '12, 5:09 pm
RosalieM's Avatar
RosalieM RosalieM is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 26, 2007
Posts: 940
Religion: Catholic
Default St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

I won't be able to bring my pet kitty, Aslan Max, to the St. Francis blessing of the animals this year. I brought him last year and the year before that.
Is it enough to have your pet blessed once or twice? (He really doesn't like going anyway. He howls, to the delight of all the kids.)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Sep 25, '12, 6:17 pm
TheRealJuliane TheRealJuliane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2010
Posts: 19,026
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

I don't think you need to do this every year. I don't think a blessing wears off.

Give your kitty a break!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Sep 25, '12, 6:22 pm
Sacredheart1208 Sacredheart1208 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 24, 2012
Posts: 169
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

I am sure that a blessing doesn't wear off!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Sep 25, '12, 6:40 pm
roveau's Avatar
roveau roveau is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: June 17, 2009
Posts: 1,754
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

I'd go for the yearly blessing. Boats and fleets get blessed every year, why not animals. Us humans get blessed every time we go to Mass.
__________________
May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you,
Rove, OFS
Our Lady of the Rosary Pray for usSt Francis of Assisi Pray for us
---God may be calling you to the Third Order of St Francis - Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis---
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Sep 25, '12, 7:12 pm
odile53's Avatar
odile53 odile53 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 16, 2010
Posts: 2,327
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

A blessing doesn't wear off, but maybe next year you can train your guy in advance to behave nicely in large groups of people and animals! I'm not sure about cats, but I do know the following applies to dogs: Getting him out to socialize more with people and pets helps a lot, as does growing up a little, if he's still an adolescent pooch. If he was really young (less than two years old last year,) he might behave himself better this year.

Cats might be similar. He may be more intrigued this year. Last year, a cat who is usually notorious for yowling happened to be in the vicinity of a cage of pet mice. He was quiet for a change.

Anyways, the blessing is usually held on the church grounds, so it isn't as if he's howling away in church!

A dog I used to have, a jet black Border Collie/shepherd/labrador mix with a small white spot on his throat, was taken to the St. Francis Day blessing for animals the first year we had him. He stood on his hind legs and barked, yapped, howled, and generally behaved like a real diva. In a nod to his small white spot, which looked for all the world like a doggie Roman collar, Father interrupted the prayers and said, "It seems I have some competition." The people in attendance roared with laughter, thus encouraging the dog to continue acting like a nut. I ended up taking him back to the car, and after the group blessing, took him up for an individual blessing, still on his hind legs and yapping away. When he got sprinkled with holy water, some got right in his face. He immediately got back on all fours, with an expression on his face of shock, and shut up. The next year, he went to the blessing and acted like a perfect little gentleman.
__________________
Odile53

"Lord, spare us from sour-faced saints!"---St. Teresa of Avila
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Sep 25, '12, 7:56 pm
maltmom maltmom is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 6, 2012
Posts: 2,368
Religion: Catholic Convert
Default Re: St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by odile53 View Post
A dog I used to have, a jet black Border Collie/shepherd/labrador mix with a small white spot on his throat, was taken to the St. Francis Day blessing for animals the first year we had him. He stood on his hind legs and barked, yapped, howled, and generally behaved like a real diva. In a nod to his small white spot, which looked for all the world like a doggie Roman collar, Father interrupted the prayers and said, "It seems I have some competition." The people in attendance roared with laughter, thus encouraging the dog to continue acting like a nut. I ended up taking him back to the car, and after the group blessing, took him up for an individual blessing, still on his hind legs and yapping away. When he got sprinkled with holy water, some got right in his face. He immediately got back on all fours, with an expression on his face of shock, and shut up. The next year, he went to the blessing and acted like a perfect little gentleman.
That's a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Sep 25, '12, 8:40 pm
BluesPicker's Avatar
BluesPicker BluesPicker is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 1, 2007
Posts: 1,184
Religion: Catholic, Loyal to the Pope
Default Re: St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

You know we should have the priest come and bless our homes yearly. And yes blessings wear off otherwise we would only be blessed once. But how can a blessing wear off on a poor animal? I don't know.

But I know this if you have your home blessed yearly the priest will be happy to bless your animals. Traditionally, there were blessings for orchards, for dairy animals, cars, ships, and nearly everything involved with human life that is worthy.

I am attaching part of Fr. Weller's translation of the Roman Missal which is available in full at the EWTN website on Blessings.

There is also the Oath against Modernism on the last part of 2nd document. I could not upload it all because it was too big.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Blessings29.doc (691.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: doc BlessingsREST.doc (512.0 KB, 52 views)
__________________
"Sacrifice for sinners and repeat many times, especially when you make a sacrifice: O my Jesus, this is out of love for you, for the conversion of sinners and in reparation for the sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary!"


BluesPicker

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Sep 25, '12, 8:42 pm
Seira Seira is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2, 2012
Posts: 478
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

What if the cat isn't well enough to attend a blessing & has never recieved one?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Sep 26, '12, 5:55 am
Liturgy_Geek's Avatar
Liturgy_Geek Liturgy_Geek is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: July 26, 2012
Posts: 71
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

I try and take my pets every year in the hopes that the blessing will help them behave. I have 11 cats (you did read that correctly) and, to add to the mix a 6 month old American Pit Bull Terrier puppy.

Yeah, this year will be real festive.
__________________
"Have confidence in the Providence that so far has never failed us. The way is not yet clear. Grope along slowly." Saint Mother Theodore Guerin 1798-1856

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Sep 26, '12, 10:27 am
RosalieM's Avatar
RosalieM RosalieM is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 26, 2007
Posts: 940
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seira View Post
What if the cat isn't well enough to attend a blessing & has never recieved one?
You could ask a priest to come to your home and bless your home and your cat. If that's not possible, you could sprinkle some holy water on the cat and pray the St. Francis animal blessing prayer. It may not carry the weight of a priestly blessing, but it's better than nothing.

"Blessed are you Lord God,
Maker of all living creatures.
You inspired St. Francis to call all animals his brothers and sisters.
We ask you to bless this animal,
By the power of your love,
Enable it live according to your plan."

I'm sure there are some variations on the prayer but this is the one I say daily for my beloved pet. I say "him" instead of "it".
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Sep 26, '12, 7:46 pm
NeedsMercy's Avatar
NeedsMercy NeedsMercy is offline
Senior Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: December 19, 2011
Posts: 10,031
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liturgy_Geek View Post
I try and take my pets every year in the hopes that the blessing will help them behave. I have 11 cats (you did read that correctly) and, to add to the mix a 6 month old American Pit Bull Terrier puppy.

Yeah, this year will be real festive.
Seven kitties, here! What's the secret to wrangling them all up???
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Sep 27, '12, 10:59 am
TheRealJuliane TheRealJuliane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2010
Posts: 19,026
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosalieM View Post
I won't be able to bring my pet kitty, Aslan Max, to the St. Francis blessing of the animals this year. I brought him last year and the year before that.
Is it enough to have your pet blessed once or twice? (He really doesn't like going anyway. He howls, to the delight of all the kids.)
I was thinking about this yesterday - I wonder if you could just take Aslan Max's collar and have IT blessed, instead of forcing your kitty to travel to the church? It's a thought. I hate to take cats in the car. The best tip I ever got was from a vet - to sack the cat in a pillowcase and rubber-band it shut. Cat cannot see out; cat does not get so distressed/carsick. Works brilliantly! Also, you can hold the cat in your lap to comfort it instead of having it in a carrier.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Sep 27, '12, 11:34 am
RosalieM's Avatar
RosalieM RosalieM is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 26, 2007
Posts: 940
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St. Francis Blessing of Animals - is once or twice enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
I was thinking about this yesterday - I wonder if you could just take Aslan Max's collar and have IT blessed, instead of forcing your kitty to travel to the church? It's a thought. I hate to take cats in the car. The best tip I ever got was from a vet - to sack the cat in a pillowcase and rubber-band it shut. Cat cannot see out; cat does not get so distressed/carsick. Works brilliantly! Also, you can hold the cat in your lap to comfort it instead of having it in a carrier.
I will be singing at our new archbishop's installation on St. Francis' feast day during the blessing of the animals. So I can't bring him this year to be blessed.
Also, little Aslan Max won't tolerate wearing a collar or I'd ask someone to bring it for the blessing. I don't have a car, so it's always me carrying him in his carrier when I do bring him to be blessed.
Maybe next time I could cover the carrier so he can't see out. Good suggestion. But I wouldn't rubber band him in a sack. I couldn't hold him in my lap either, he'd wriggle away and take off. He's a very fiesty little guy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8257Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5018CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4345Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3834SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3569Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3230Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3203Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3128Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3048For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:00 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.