Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 4, '12, 2:09 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Philly student's Romney T-shirt likened to KKK sheet

Philadelphia Inquirer:
A uniform-free “dress-down” day at Charles Carroll High School in Port Richmond turned into a public dressing down for a student who chose to wear a pink T-shirt supporting Mitt Romney for president.

Samantha Pawlucy, a sophomore at Carroll High, said her geometry teacher publicly humiliated her by asking why she was wearing a Romney/Ryan T-shirt and going into the hallway to urge other teachers and students to mock her.

“I was really embarassed and shocked. I didn’t think she’d go in the hallway and scream to everyone,” Pawlucy said. “It wasn’t scary, but it felt weird.”

(snip)

Samantha Pawlucy The teacher then allegedly called a non-teaching assistant into the room who tried to write on the t-shirt with a marker. She allegedly told to remove her shirt and she would be given another one.

During the incident, Samantha Pawlucy said the teacher told her that Carroll High is a “Democratic school” and wearing a Republican shirt is akin to the teacher, who is black, wearing a KKK shirt.
Typical behavior from a left-wing teacher. I can't really see why Samantha would be surprised by this in any way, shape, or form.

(As a side note, one of the vice principals at my daughter's Catholic high school, had a life size Obama cutout in her office. She wasn't so bold as the teacher in this story, but the message was still there)
Old Oct 4, '12, 4:23 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Philly student's Romney T-shirt likened to KKK sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by markomalley View Post
Typical behavior from a left-wing teacher. I can't really see why Samantha would be surprised by this in any way, shape, or form.
No, if it were typical it wouldn't even make the news. The fact is, the incident is shocking. If the student's allegations are true, then the teacher needs to be reprimanded hard.

While the investigation continues, the teacher and student should be separated. It is unfortunate she was initially kept in the same class with the teacher. All the more so, since the teacher made an oblique reference to the incident which cast her in a bad light with her classmates.

If I were her parents, I would move her to a different school.
Old Oct 4, '12, 4:35 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
Oh no. We wouldn't run without a fight. We would get a lawyer and get a case going against the school, the teacher and the assistant.
"Lord Jesus, in times of trial and temptation, be my strength and consolation. Teach me not to fear the darkness, but rather draw me to your light. For it can only be in darkness that you will become my light and in your light that I may bring the light of healing to all I meet." - George Maloney
Old Oct 4, '12, 4:43 am

This is the problem with too much inbred thinking in one location. They begin to feel justified in these actions because they believe the majority feel as they do. There's no justice when it's funded by taxpayers who vote the other way. It becomes propaganda. It needs to change.
Old Oct 4, '12, 4:57 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female

Unreal
Old Oct 4, '12, 4:57 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmom2 View Post
Oh no. We wouldn't run without a fight. We would get a lawyer and get a case going against the school, the teacher and the assistant.
Oh, I agree that the case should continue. I am just thinking the girl might fare better in a less poisonous environment.
Old Oct 4, '12, 5:03 am
Banned

The t-shirt was pink, in fact, it sounds like it could be a "pro-life" t-shirt also.

http://www.hh76.org/details.aspx?prod_id=20097 (reading "women for Romney Ryan"

I saw one of these at one of the Pro-Life websites. This could be "the rest of the story."
Old Oct 4, '12, 5:18 am

Religion: Struggling Catholic

Quote:
I agree. Sue the school and also the teacher as an individual. Destroy her both financially and professional.
Old Oct 4, '12, 5:20 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroomWagon View Post
The t-shirt was pink, in fact, it sounds like it could be a "pro-life" t-shirt also.

http://www.hh76.org/details.aspx?prod_id=20097 (reading "women for Romney Ryan"

I saw one of these at one of the Pro-Life websites. This could be "the rest of the story."
Thatthis could be "the rest of the story" doesn't change anything for me. What they did to that girl was just wrong and unprofessional.
"Lord Jesus, in times of trial and temptation, be my strength and consolation. Teach me not to fear the darkness, but rather draw me to your light. For it can only be in darkness that you will become my light and in your light that I may bring the light of healing to all I meet." - George Maloney
Old Oct 4, '12, 5:27 am
Banned

Quote:
Thatthis could be "the rest of the story" doesn't change anything for me. What they did to that girl was just wrong and unprofessional.
?? Just saying what I've seen. Could be additional details, the story is up at the Blaze too.
Old Oct 4, '12, 5:31 am
Forum Elder

I don't know what is worse for America, politically active liberal teachers or the idea that suing is the first thing people thing of. She could just keep wearing the shirt and work within the system. Like the student said, it felt weird. It is the teacher that looks like a nut case in this story. I have yet to meet a teenager that couldn't push buttons if she wanted to.
Old Oct 4, '12, 5:36 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroomWagon View Post
That would have been an important detail, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

On a news video, the t-shirt in question is held up for display. It says

Quote:
Romney
Ryan

America's Comeback Team

MittRomney.com
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/natio...172627871.html

You can see the t-shirt clearly at the 30 second mark of the video.
Old Oct 4, '12, 5:36 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewton View Post
I don't know what is worse for America, politically active liberal teachers or the idea that suing is the first thing people thing of. She could just keep wearing the shirt and work within the system. Like the student said, it felt weird. It is the teacher that looks like a nut case in this story. I have yet to meet a teenager that couldn't push buttons if she wanted to.
This quote from the story:

Quote:
During the incident, Samantha Pawlucy said the teacher told her that Carroll High is a “Democratic school” and wearing a Republican shirt is akin to the teacher, who is black, wearing a KKK shirt.
Actually, I think in this case, a lawsuit might be the thing to do for such backwards ignominious thinking by this teacher.
Old Oct 4, '12, 5:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
No, if it were typical it wouldn't even make the news. The fact is, the incident is shocking. If the student's allegations are true, then the teacher needs to be reprimanded hard.

While the investigation continues, the teacher and student should be separated. It is unfortunate she was initially kept in the same class with the teacher. All the more so, since the teacher made an oblique reference to the incident which cast her in a bad light with her classmates.

Sadly, it its all too common. Perhaps this case is more egregious (and that might be why it is newsworthy), but teachers imposing their political pov on students and deriding derision on dissenters is very, very common.
Old Oct 4, '12, 5:57 am

Religion: Catholic- Home at Last!

I am confused- a pink T shirt which states Women for Romney and Ryan is somehow subversive- unbelievable. I have a pink Phillies shirt, does that have some hidden pro life message too- not that I would mind that Really unbelievable, and at a Catholic high shool yet. Even if it is pro life, correct me if I am wrong as a convert but aren't we supposed to be pro life?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News