Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 4, '12, 5:07 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default St. Hildegarde to be a Doctor of the Church

I am astonished and pleased that the Pope is to declare St. Hildegarde as a Doctor of the Church. Although she lived around a thousand years ago, she was never officially canonized until May of this year. The saint made some very dramatic prophecies and I take this event as a hint that the Pope believes in them and believes that they relate to our time. I know that some cardinals and bishops will be mystified/horrified at this 'promotion' (which is probably a good thing!).
She prophesied that a comet would strike the earth with horrific results - is the Pope hinting at some event in the near future?

Miraculous Crucifix of Limpias

Jesus Christ said, " This is my Body. " You say, " No. It is not His Body!" Who am I to believe? I prefer to believe Jesus Christ.-- Bl. Dominic Barberi
Old Oct 4, '12, 6:15 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: St. Hildegarde to be a Doctor of the Church

I am a great fan of Saint Hildegard – a polymath nun from the 12th century and, while she is very well known for her incredible contributions to classical music and literature, she is not so well known for her prophesies (of which there were many).

She also predicted the coming of a Great European Monarch figure, "The White Lily", who would bring peace to the world. And a very cryptic prophecy about a country that sounds awfully like the USA, in the same prophecy about the comet ( ):

Quote:
Before the Comet comes, many nations, the good excepted, will be scoured with want and famine. The great nation in the ocean that is inhabited by people of different tribes and descent by an earthquake, storm and tidal waves will be devastated. It will be divided, and in great part submerged. That nation will also have many misfortunes at sea, and lose its colonies in the east through a Tiger and a Lion. The Comet by its tremendous pressure, will force much out of the ocean and flood many countries, causing much want and many plagues. [After the] great Comet, the great nation will be devastated by earthquakes, storms, and great waves of water, causing much want and plagues. The ocean will also flood many other countries, so that all coastal cities will live in fear, with many destroyed. All sea coast cities will be fearful and many of them will be destroyed by tidal waves, and most living creatures will be killed and even those who escape will die from a horrible disease.”

I know, its about as apocalyptic as it gets.

She also predicted that peace would return to Earth when the French throne is restored by the Great Monarch 'dude'

I sincerely hope that she is wrong about the comet and flooding. Oddly enough Nostradamus (not that I believe him) also had predictions about a comet and flooding and a Great Monarch. Very common themes throughout the medieval and early modern period.

Her writings are so vast everything from mysticism to poetry to hymns to herbal medicine to prophecies to chronicles...I mean this lady did it all
"...Everyone who has joined the ranks of Christ must be a glowing point of light in the world, a nucleus of love, a leaven of the whole mass. He will be so in proportion to his degree of spiritual union with God..."

- Saint Pope John XXIII, Pacem in Terris (1963)
Old Oct 4, '12, 7:28 pm

Thanks be to God! Her visions are very interesting, especially those supporting the tradtional teaching of the Church on geocentrism.
Old Oct 4, '12, 7:40 pm

I'm fairly fascinated by St. Hildegard and would love to read more about her but the only affordable books I've found are of the New Age variety which present her as some neo-pagan, mystic lesbian. Does anyone know of any good books about her?
Old Oct 5, '12, 6:48 am

I found this on Father Z's blog some time ago and might be relevant (if frightening).

On Easter Sunday, April 13th of 2029 the asteroid Apophis (“Apophis” is the Egyptian God of destruction) will pass through an orbital “keyhole” which will determine whether or not it will impact earth 7 years later on Easter Sunday, April 13th 2036. It should be noted that Easter Sunday 2029 is a good candidate for the 2000th anniversary of the Resurrection.
The “keyhole” of 2029 will determine the trajectory of Apophis and thus the fate of many people, and will probably be a significantly fearful warning for all. It is possible that this moment of warning will turn many away from sins, but will also cause many to “double down” so to speak. “There will no longer be pardon for them” is possibly a reference to the reality after the “keyhole” moment when the Earth has 7 years to contemplate the obliteration of many and STILL people are unrepentant, though God has given every opportunity. Revelation 8:8 “The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood”
The impact of Apophis is estimated at 800 megatons. The largest tactical nuclear weapon in the world is about 50 megatons. Hiroshima was 50 kilotons.

Jesus Christ said, " This is my Body. " You say, " No. It is not His Body!" Who am I to believe? I prefer to believe Jesus Christ.-- Bl. Dominic Barberi
Old Oct 5, '12, 8:31 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vouthon View Post
I am a great fan of Saint Hildegard – a polymath nun from the 12th century and, while she is very well known for her incredible contributions to classical music and literature, she is not so well known for her prophesies (of which there were many).

She also predicted the coming of a Great European Monarch figure, "The White Lily", who would bring peace to the world. And a very cryptic prophecy about a country that sounds awfully like the USA, in the same prophecy about the comet ( ):

I know, its about as apocalyptic as it gets.

She also predicted that peace would return to Earth when the French throne is restored by the Great Monarch 'dude'

I sincerely hope that she is wrong about the comet and flooding. Oddly enough Nostradamus (not that I believe him) also had predictions about a comet and flooding and a Great Monarch. Very common themes throughout the medieval and early modern period.

Her writings are so vast everything from mysticism to poetry to hymns to herbal medicine to prophecies to chronicles...I mean this lady did it all
When I think of Saint Hildegarde's prophecy I automatically think about The Apocalypse Of Saint John (Revelation) Chapter 8. http://www.drbo.org/chapter/73008.htm

Quote:
The seventh seal is opened. The angels with the seven trumpets.

[1] And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven, as it were for half an hour. [2] And I saw seven angels standing in the presence of God; and there were given to them seven trumpets. [3] And another angel came, and stood before the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given to him much incense, that he should offer of the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar, which is before the throne of God. [4] And the smoke of the incense of the prayers of the saints ascended up before God from the hand of the angel. [5] And the angel took the censer, and filled it with the fire of the altar, and cast it on the earth, and there were thunders and voices and lightnings, and a great earthquake.

[6] And the seven angels, who had the seven trumpets, prepared themselves to sound the trumpet. [7] And the first angel sounded the trumpet, and there followed hail and fire, mingled with blood, and it was cast on the earth, and the third part of the earth was burnt up, and the third part of the trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up. [8] And the second angel sounded the trumpet: and as it were a great mountain, burning with fire, was cast into the sea, and the third part of the sea became blood: [9] And the third part of those creatures died, which had life in the sea, and the third part of the ships was destroyed. [10] And the third angel sounded the trumpet, and a great star fell from heaven, burning as it were a torch, and it fell on the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters:

[11] And the name of the star is called Wormwood. And the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter. [12] And the fourth angel sounded the trumpet, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars, so that the third part of them was darkened, and the day did not shine for a third part of it, and the night in like manner.
[13] And I beheld, and heard the voice of one eagle flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice: Woe, woe, woe to the inhabitants of the earth: by reason of the rest of the voices of the three angels, who are yet to sound the trumpet.
If a big enough comet or asteroid hit the ocean it would closely parallel similarity with the Saint's prophecy. Scripture does say the Earth will one day be destroyed by God through fire. However' whether it be the Saint's prophecy or that of the depiction in the Apocalypse, both are up to discerning interpretation.
Old Oct 7, '12, 10:54 pm

Certainly St. Hildegarde is a wonderful, wonderful person, and was right on a lot of things, but I am always skeptical of prophetic claims by anyone other than the prophets of the Old Testament, Christ, and the Apostles. Sainthood does not mean one can't be wrong about something.
Old Oct 8, '12, 3:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by presidentjlh View Post
Certainly St. Hildegarde is a wonderful, wonderful person, and was right on a lot of things, but I am always skeptical of prophetic claims by anyone other than the prophets of the Old Testament, Christ, and the Apostles. Sainthood does not mean one can't be wrong about something.
Very true

We must be especially careful with prophecy. I mean, didn't Saint Vincent believe that the end of the world was coming his lifetime? I remember hearing that.

Nevertheless, God can grant the gift of prophecy to a person (anyone in fact, whether good or evil, Christian or non-Christian) so we must also not "close" the window so to speak on private revelation.
"...Everyone who has joined the ranks of Christ must be a glowing point of light in the world, a nucleus of love, a leaven of the whole mass. He will be so in proportion to his degree of spiritual union with God..."

Old Oct 8, '12, 5:30 am

Quote:
Very true

We must be especially careful with prophecy. I mean, didn't Saint Vincent believe that the end of the world was coming his lifetime? I remember hearing that.

Nevertheless, God can grant the gift of prophecy to a person (anyone in fact, whether good or evil, Christian or non-Christian) so we must also not "close" the window so to speak on private revelation.
I recommend the book 'Trial, Tribulation and Triumph' for a very interesting analysis of prophecy from Church authorised sources only. It does seem that St. Hildegarde's prophecies and those of many other saints, blesseds and venerables match closely. It appears that we are on the threshold of civil strife and civil wars in Europe that will cause a Russian invasion that will end only by a clear intervention from God (like a minor judgement).

Old Oct 8, '12, 5:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post
I recommend the book 'Trial, Tribulation and Triumph' for a very interesting analysis of prophecy from Church authorised sources only. It does seem that St. Hildegarde's prophecies and those of many other saints, blesseds and venerables match closely. It appears that we are on the threshold of civil strife and civil wars in Europe that will cause a Russian invasion that will end only by a clear intervention from God (like a minor judgement).

Is that the one by Desmond Birch? I have never read it but it is said to the best compendium of Catholic prophecy from authentic sources. Another great book is, "Prophecy for Today" by Edward Connor.

I think that there is a possibility that prophecies - either partially or wholly - could become fulfilled in this century.

Many prophecies seem to imply a conjuction of specific dates and the latest possible Easter that last occurred in 1943 and will happen again in 2038.

They concur that a war will end on this year, although also that this year will be more "woeful" than any other. There is an expectation that by 2038, this might come to pass:

Quote:
Venerable Bartholomew Holzhauser (17th century)

"...A great change will come to pass, such as no mortal man will have expected...the Hand of Almighty God will work a marvellous change, something apparently impossible according to human understanding. There will rise a valiant monarch anointed by God. He will be a Catholic, a descendant of Louis IX, yet a descendant of an ancient imperial German family, born in exile...a new mankind will come into existence. God possesses the key to everything. Blessed is he who will then be able to praise him, having obeyed all his commandments. And the great monarch of the world will create new laws for the new mankind and will cause a new age to begin, in which there will be only one flock and one shepherd, and peace will be of long, long duration, for the glory of God in heaven and on earth...The Sixth Age of the Spirit commences with the powerful Monarch and the Holy Pontiff...This will be an age of consolation in which God will console His Spirit of the affliction and the great tribulation of the preceding age. All the nations will be united in the Catholic faith. The sacerdocy will flower more than ever, and men will seek the kingdom of God in all solicitude... Many saints and doctors will flourish in the earth. Men will love reason and justice. Peace will reign in all the universe, because the divine power will bind Satan for many years, until the son of perdition will rave anew...It is in that age that the relation of the sixth Spirit of the Lord will be known, that is to say the Spirit of Wisdom that God diffuses over all the surfaces of the globes in those times. For men will fear the Lord their God, they will observe the law and serve it with all their heart. The sciences will be multiplied and complete on the earth. The Holy Scriptures will be unanimously understood, without controversy and without the errors of heresies. Men will be enlightened, so much as in the natural sciences and in the celestial sciences. Finally, the Sixth Church, the Church of Philadelphia, is the type of this sixth age, for Philadelphia signifies friendship of brothers, and again guarding the heritage in union with the Lord. Now all these characters convene perfectly in the sixth age, in which they will have love, concord and perfect peace and in which the powerful Monarch will have to consider almost the entire world as his heritage. He will deliver up the earth, with the aid of the Lord his God from all his enemies, of ruin and of all evil...For likewise, in this epoch, the people of Israel will be consoled to a very high degree by the Lord, our God, who will deliver them from the captivity of Babylon. The kingdoms, the nations, and the people will submit to the Roman Empire [new global structure], furiously vanquished by the very powerful and very illustrious monarch who will govern during fifty-six years, rendering the peace of the universe...Thus, in the Sixth Age, God will delight his Church with the greatest prosperity...this monarch will reign in the orient and in the occident. All the nations will come and adore the Lord their God...for all nations will be brought to the unity of the True catholic faith......"
Since the War didn't end in 1943 but 1945, many are wondering either whether 2038 is the date or if the prophecies are fallible and the concurrence between them sheer coincidence.

Apparently according to prophecy, a pope will go over the sea with the sign of the cross, and world peace will be restored in this year, 2038 (or some distant future day when the concurrence between dates happens again, or never!).

The year when Easter Sunday falls on St. Mark's Feast (April 25) and Pentecost falls on St. Anthony feast (June 13) and Corpus Christi falls on St. John the Baptist (June 24) is only one year in the 21st century, which is the year 2038.

The odd thing is that you don't tend to get prophecies that are so specific with a certain date.

So either it will be that year, or we have two conclusions:

1) It ain't gonna happen this century

2) Those particular prophecies, while from holy people, are fallible

However it might not happpen and people might be totally wrong. Only God knows

Last edited by Vouthon; Oct 8, '12 at 5:51 am.
Old Oct 8, '12, 8:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Sims View Post
Does anyone know of any good books about her?
This cookbook is good...I read it and passed it on as a gift to a good friend.
Old Oct 8, '12, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful View Post
This cookbook is good...I read it and passed it on as a gift to a good friend.
That might be something my wife would really enjoy. Do you know of any biographies of her that are worth reading? I saw the movie, Vision, which wasn't too bad but overlooked a lot of what I find to be most interesting about her.
Old Oct 9, '12, 12:29 am

Religion: am Catholic and floddering
Send a message via Yahoo to aragonjohn1
Cool Re: St. Hildegarde to be a Doctor of the Church

Quote:
I am a great fan of Saint Hildegard

yeh i found out about her beautiful story and writings when i was in a co-op class about classical music and how it came to be.

sigh:

Shalom
God Bless
- St. Pacian
"You are now aware that you are breathing"
- MarcusAndreas
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) "This is Bunny. Copy Bunny" - Bunny
Old Oct 9, '12, 7:10 am
Radio Club Member

Hildegarde also gave Henry II a good talking-to which he apparently ignored:
Hildegard’s Admonition to Do Justice.

Quote:
From Hildegard Abess at Rupertsberg to Henry, King of England, greetings:
When a certain man holds a high office over other men, the Lord commands him:
“Yours are the gifts of giving, it is by ruling and defending, protecting and providing, that you may reach Heaven.”
But then a bird, black as pitch, will come to you from the North, and it will say:
“You can do whatever you want; so do this and do that; make this excuse and that excuse, for it does not profit you to have regard to Justice; for if you always consult Justice, you are not the master, rather you are reduced to mere slavery.”
. . .

Quote:
If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for...but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong.
Old Oct 9, '12, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Sims View Post
Do you know of any biographies of her that are worth reading? I saw the movie, Vision, which wasn't too bad but overlooked a lot of what I find to be most interesting about her.

The movie, Vision, was less spiritual. It was OK. Over the years, I found bits and pieces of or about St. Hildegarde. My main attraction to her is the music. Her recipes are good but don't appeal to me. ...even her Cookies of Joy didn't do much for me
Sorry, I don’t know of any great books about her.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News