Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 8, '12, 12:26 pm

Religion: Deist, former Catholic
Default Re: Religion, marriage and the GOP's demographic challenge brought to the fore by 2012 election

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroomWagon View Post
Will Rogers is one of the great all time commentators.

Rush is in that mode, Chris Matthews is not but nice tactic to try to make us all think they kind of see things the same way.
They think the same way in opposite directions, and Will Rogers never vilified the people he disagreed with. The current batch are a bunch of despicable profiteers IMHO.

John
With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan..
Abraham Lincoln
Old Nov 8, '12, 12:47 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female
Default Re: Religion, marriage and the GOP's demographic challenge brought to the fore by 2012 election

No doubt republicans need to make major gains with Blacks and Hispanics but 7 million fewer White people voted in this election, if they would of voted they could of potentially changed the result. What happened to these voters? Perhaps that is a bigger question than not enough Hispanics not voting for Romney

Quote:
In other words, if our underlying assumption -- that there are 7 million votes outstanding -- is correct, then the African-American vote only increased by about 300,000 votes, or 0.2 percent, from 2008 to 2012. The Latino vote increased by a healthier 1.7 million votes, while the “other” category increased by about 470,000 votes
Old Nov 8, '12, 1:01 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Tex senator - elect Ted Cruz: harbinger of a viable gop

Was endorsed by Sarah Palin among others, won overwelming Hispanic support and opposed to DREAM act and amnesty

Quote:
On Fox News on Wednesday, Cruz said Republicans need to do a "better job communicating our values to the Hispanic community" but emphatically noted Hispanics are a "conservative" community
Why Hispanics Don’t Vote for Republicans
Quote:
If Republicans want to change their stance on immigration, they should do so on the merits, not out of a belief that only immigration policy stands between them and a Republican Hispanic majority. It is not immigration policy that creates the strong bond between Hispanics and the Democratic party, but the core Democratic principles of a more generous safety net, strong government intervention in the economy, and progressive taxation. Hispanics will prove to be even more decisive in the victory of Governor Jerry Brown’s Proposition 30, which raised upper-income taxes and the sales tax, than in the Obama election
Immigration & Delusion
Quote:
There is no single-issue quick-fix to the challenge of ushering them into the Republican coalition. Rather, there is a choice to be made: either convince them that they are wrong, meaning make the unapologetic case for liberty and limited government; or fundamentally change who you are, meaning accommodate their statism.

The fact that this choice is easy to identify does not mean the right alternative is easy to implement. Convincing skeptics of the long-neglected case for freedom is going to take a long time — you can’t cede your leading institutions to statists for decades and expect to turn things around over night. But the second alternative, the one that is so easy — and obviously for some, so tempting — is surrender and steep decline. Accommodation only works in a normal political order where both sides have the same core values but differ on how to validate them. It does not work when one side is looking to vanquish the other.
Old Nov 8, '12, 1:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcelt View Post
It is because the majority of voters rejected the return to trickle-down economics, IMHO. I know that's why I voted as I did.

John
The majority of voters can't spell trickle-down economics. I applaud you for being informed, but let's not act like we had the Brookings Institute going to polls here.
Old Nov 8, '12, 1:24 pm

Religion: Deist, former Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Man View Post
The majority of voters can't spell trickle-down economics. I applaud you for being informed, but let's not act like we had the Brookings Institute going to polls here.
Clinton, the MVP of the Obama team, explained it very well. Top down, doesn't add up, arithmetic, same thing that got us in this mess, etc. Words that everyone can understand.

John
With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan..
Abraham Lincoln
Old Nov 8, '12, 1:52 pm
Banned

Religion: A Christianity that doesn't exclude nor drives liberals away

Quote:
Clinton, the MVP of the Obama team, explained it very well. Top down, doesn't add up, arithmetic, same thing that got us in this mess, etc. Words that everyone can understand.

John
I'm not sure everyone is listening in order to understand but well he is The Secretary of Explaining Stuff.
Old Nov 8, '12, 1:56 pm
Banned

Religion: A Christianity that doesn't exclude nor drives liberals away

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Abyssinia View Post
No doubt republicans need to make major gains with Blacks and Hispanics but 7 million fewer White people voted in this election, if they would of voted they could of potentially changed the result. What happened to these voters? Perhaps that is a bigger question than not enough Hispanics not voting for Romney
Maybe the face of America is changing Abyssinia. And the white portion of the electorate will continue to drop as others rise in their percentages of the electorate.
Old Nov 8, '12, 2:07 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMatt25 View Post
Maybe the face of America is changing Abyssinia. And the white portion of the electorate will continue to drop as others rise in their percentages of the electorate.
7 million white voters did not die, they did not vote which means there must be a reason for that. People can speculate, nobody knows for sure
Old Nov 8, '12, 2:19 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMatt25 View Post
Hi again Mary, due to CAF's time allowed, I couldn't edit my earlier reply to you. But I had recalled reading West's statement on his website earlier in the yr about his decision not to run in our district. And I found part of it for you here.

West announced earlier in the yr that he was running to the north of our district which is an area thought to have been more Republican leaning and where Tom Rooney (R-Fla.) was leaving to run on the opposite coast of Florida.

"After much prayer, reflection and discussion with my close friends and family, I am announcing today my decision to seek re-election in Florida's proposed 18th Congressional District," said West in a statement. "I have always believed the state of Florida would be best served by having both Congressman Tom Rooney and myself in the House of Representatives working to solve our nation’s most pressing problems."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1245613.html

I actually hadn't known until I watched their debate that West's opponent Patrick Murphy had been a Republican but then switched to the Democratic at least in part due to the Tea Party.
Thanks much for the info.
Old Nov 8, '12, 2:27 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Silver Lining: Major Gains in the Jewish Vote

Republicans gained 50% more of the Jewish vote
Old Nov 8, '12, 2:28 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian in the Holy Catholic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider View Post
Kansas is not traditionally a Southern state.
It's not traditionally a northern state either.

*I converted to Catholicism on the Easter Vigil on 3/30/13. Some posts may contain information that I believe is incorrect or was poorly understood from a Catholic viewpoint.
Old Nov 8, '12, 2:38 pm

Quote:
It is because the majority of voters rejected the return to trickle-down economics, IMHO. I know that's why I voted as I did.

John
I hope you didn't vote for the Abortionist in Chief, John.
Old Nov 8, '12, 2:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Guy View Post
It's not traditionally a northern state either.
They were in the North in the Civil War though. Heck they caused the civil war in a sense
Old Nov 8, '12, 2:40 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Abyssinia View Post
7 million white voters did not die, they did not vote which means there must be a reason for that. People can speculate, nobody knows for sure
Interestingly, Obama's votes had a bigger drop off, Obama's votes dropped by 10 million. I wonder if this reflects changing demographics as well. Obama lost over 3 times the votes the Republicans did.

See the logic we all have to be wary of and it's a real trap. Oh, there aren't as many white people as before. Do we make the same assumptions about Obama's loss in votes? Does it mean fewer African Americans?
Old Nov 8, '12, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroomWagon View Post
Interestingly, Obama's votes had a bigger drop off, Obama's votes dropped by 10 million. I wonder if this reflects changing demographics as well. Obama lost over 3 times the votes the Republicans did.

See the logic we all have to be wary of and it's a real trap. Oh, there aren't as many white people as before. Do we make the same assumptions about Obama's loss in votes? Does it mean fewer African Americans?
That is an interesting question.

But no doubt, it will be ignored by the liberal media.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News