Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 15, '10, 10:03 pm

Default Re: sick feeling in the pit of my stomach regarding our homily this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO View Post
There may be many other reasons not to discuss this in public but, NO seal was broken, the priest has not Excommunicated himself, nor is this something to write the Bishop about.
Thank you Brother
Old Mar 16, '10, 7:39 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: sick feeling in the pit of my stomach regarding our homily this morning

Another thought on this... it's possible the priest made it all up and it's just a fabrication.
Old Mar 19, '10, 3:58 am

Quote:
This is something that most people are misinformed about. The "Seal of Confession" does not apply to information learned outside of the celebration of the Sacrament.

I picture it this way:

This person comes up to the priest 3 years later and says;
A: Father do you remember me?
P: No.
A: I confessed to you XYZ three years ago, Do you remember?
P: No.
A. I confessed that I did XYZ and wanted you to know the circumatances, that I could not supply then..... I hope that helps. If you remember that you suggested that I do this.....
P: No, I don't remember. I hear so many confessions, I don't remember any of them.
A: I just wanted you to now that what you said really helped.
P: I'm happy it did.

If the priest repeats any of this conversation, he does NOT violate any seal of Confession.
I'm not arguing this fact. As I said in my post, technically, he did not violate the seal of confession, that I agree with. He danced around it. Still wrong. Unless the person speaking with the priest is in agreement for info to be shared from the pulpit, this is really wrong. If the priest shares this information, given enough details, you mean to tell me that people cannot figure out what the sin is? C'mon. And then you want people to go to confession to this priest? Or to be counseled by this priest? ...........ain't gonna happen. Just more trust errosion with the laity. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I don't think this is the direction we want relationships between priests and laity to be going in. This may be nothing to go to the Bishop about, but unless he was given permission to share, it was a violation of trust.
Old Mar 19, '10, 4:13 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowcalico View Post
Another thought on this... it's possible the priest made it all up and it's just a fabrication.
I was thinking the same thing. I once was at a mass with a priest told a confession story and a few years later, at another mass, at another church, with another priest, heard almost the EXACT same story. Many priests get stories from homily helps on the internet or books of homily starters. I know some of our foreign visiting priests rely on these all the time.
Old Mar 19, '10, 5:15 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannm View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I once was at a mass with a priest told a confession story and a few years later, at another mass, at another church, with another priest, heard almost the EXACT same story. Many priests get stories from homily helps on the internet or books of homily starters. I know some of our foreign visiting priests rely on these all the time.
I've had the same experience, at weddings that I've been in the background for as sacristan.. On one occasion, the priest said an incident had happened to him (nothing to do with confession), and at another wedding a few months later, he told the story as happening to someone else.

I don't know whether I'm being a bit nitpicky, but I feel uneasy at this tendency to untruth. I don't see how they can't say 'I heard/read something the other day'. It seems a bit self-centred to make themselves part of the anecdote.
Old Mar 19, '10, 5:26 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwight View Post
I've had the same experience, at weddings that I've been in the background for as sacristan.. On one occasion, the priest said an incident had happened to him (nothing to do with confession), and at another wedding a few months later, he told the story as happening to someone else.

I don't know whether I'm being a bit nitpicky, but I feel uneasy at this tendency to untruth. I don't see how they can't say 'I heard/read something the other day'. It seems a bit self-centred to make themselves part of the anecdote.
I also use stories that have happened to me, events in RCIA, and over the years things get forgotten, "facts" get mixed up, the stories are the same but slightly different, the point is it's a story, not a deposition of facts. Simply getting the point across is the important thing.
Old Mar 20, '10, 11:15 am

Religion: roman catholic

Quote:
It should be a lesson. Don't talk about the details of your confession outside of the confessional where there is no seal of Confession, even if it is years later.
This is the answer!!! Do Not Talk about the details of your confession OUTSIDE of the confessional where there is no seal of confession.
You were speaking to the priest in his humanity, that is why in confession it is called a "sacred seal" of confession.
A tough lesson I agree. God Bless

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments