Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 3, '12, 8:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Weaker Pennances

Sometimes I come across historical accounts of pennances people were given that seemed quite strict. On the one hand they may exist in the historical record because they were fantastically strict. On the other hand, maybe pennances used to be much stricter than they are now.

I do not mean this AT ALL as a questioning of the judgement of our faithful priests. I love them and am so thankful they administer the sacrements. Do you ever feel like the age we live in we don't get pennances with much rigor? Are we getting off easy? Are we at a spiritual disadvantage?

"Never forget the difference between good-sounding reasons and good sound reasoning. That was one of the first admonitions I remember hearing from my debate coach in high school." -Alan Keyes
Old Jul 3, '12, 9:33 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Weaker Pennances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiltepin View Post
Sometimes I come across historical accounts of pennances people were given that seemed quite strict. On the one hand they may exist in the historical record because they were fantastically strict. On the other hand, maybe pennances used to be much stricter than they are now.

I do not mean this AT ALL as a questioning of the judgement of our faithful priests. I love them and am so thankful they administer the sacrements. Do you ever feel like the age we live in we don't get pennances with much rigor? Are we getting off easy? Are we at a spiritual disadvantage?
I'm reminded of this quote from the Baltimore Catechism:

Quote:
Q. 864. Why did the Church moderate its severe penances? A. The Church moderated its severe penances, because when Christians—terrified by persecution—grew weaker in their faith, there was danger of some abandoning their religion rather than submit to the penances imposed. The Church, therefore, wishing to save as many as possible, made the sinner's penance as light as possible.
Old Jul 3, '12, 9:35 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I never knew there were stricter or weaker penances. What are some examples of 'stricter' penances.

"Sometimes the only way the Good Lord can get into some hearts is to break them."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Old Jul 3, '12, 9:36 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Personally I like it when I am given a strict penance. I am not sure why but I just do.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jul 3, '12, 10:30 pm

I've noticed that penances are much easier now than when I was a kid. I never confessed anything noteworthy as a kid--mostly I'd say that I lied to my mom twice, cussed once and then tell the priest that I'd just lied about lying and cussing so I'd have something to confess--and I'd get hit with 20 Our Fathers and 10 Hail Marys, or something along those lines. I've talked to people who got things like ten complete Rosaries (all three sets of mysteries) on top of having to pay back/return something they'd stolen, and other penances that were similarly monumental to a kid. I remember wondering back then what sort of penances the adults who committed actual sins were receiving.

Nowadays it's nowhere near the same. A few years ago, at the first real valid, thorough Confession of my adult life, I confessed years and years of very serious, persistent sins. I got one Our Father, one Hail Mary and was told to spend one minute counting my blessings. Honestly, the first thing that went through my head wasn't relief over my absolution but a thought that I'd been ripped off. I was all set for some major penance and what I got was barely a fraction of my nightly prayers. Another time I nearly asked the priest if he couldn't throw in a Rosary or two since I'd confessed something really major that I'd overlooked in an earlier Confession. The biggest penance I've received in the last few years was when the priest told me to say a prayer for each family member who had mistreated or spoken negatively about my wife & I: it took me nearly an hour to get through.

Seriously, though, I'd prefer somewhat stricter penances. I understand the reasoning to the contrary, but if I'm confessing a mortal sin which I committed with the full, adult awareness that it was a mortal sin, then I truly believe that I should be getting a stiff enough penance that it takes more than 1-2 minutes to complete. I'm not saying the priest should be telling people to stand on a busy street corner wearing a burlap shirt and a sandwich board listing their sins, but being given the occasional Rosary or two couldn't hurt.
Old Jul 3, '12, 10:53 pm

Default Re: Weaker Penances

Yeah, I usually get the 1 Our Father and 1 Hail Mary as well. Sometimes I just get the nebulous "pray for [this person]."

One priest I loved used to give me one of the Psalms to pray and meditate on. Another used to give me at least a decade of the Rosary.

But just a few years ago, a young new priest gave me the penance of my lifetime: He told me that I needed to pray an extra 15 minutes a day (unspecified number of days), give a gift of alms from my need (not just my surplus), and fast one day a week (unspecified number of weeks). When I told my friend what my penance was, she laughed and said, "What did you confess????"

That penance took me a long time to complete -- so it was on my mind for days and days. I would think that was a good thing.

He must have gotten some advice from the pastor about his penances, because every time after that day his penances were always one or two prayers. Bummer.

God bless you.

Gertie

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us.

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!
Old Jul 5, '12, 6:41 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

The most harsh penance I have ever been given was one decade of the Rosary.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality