Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 25, '12, 11:42 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Abortion & Holy Spirit

I had an abortion years ago, & regret it immensely, even though it was for medical reasons. I have confessed and repented to a priest. I'm still worried about eternal punishment, however. I have a few questions.

The Bible states we are a temple of the Holy Spirit. The unforgivable sin also includes "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit". To me, it seems that getting an abortion ruined a temple of the Holy Spirit, so did I commit the unpardonable sin?

I understand murder was forgiven in the Bible, but is abortion considered worse in God's eyes because it involves the "shedding of innocent blood"?
Old Jun 26, '12, 12:38 am
Banned

Default Re: Abortion & Holy Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxieMama View Post

I had an abortion years ago, & regret it immensely, even though it was for medical reasons. I have confessed and repented to a priest. I'm still worried about eternal punishment, however. I have a few questions.

The Bible states we are a temple of the Holy Spirit. The unforgivable sin also includes "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit". To me, it seems that getting an abortion ruined a temple of the Holy Spirit, so did I commit the unpardonable sin?

I understand murder was forgiven in the Bible, but is abortion considered worse in God's eyes because it involves the "shedding of innocent blood"?

Forget about all those thougts.
I advise to tell all of them to a priest and ........... once for all.
Forgiven, forgiven. Period.
The quote "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" does not apply to you. But ask to the priest and ... once and for all.
You have to live with the pain of abortion, everybody does. Now, do something for others: pray for pregnant teens, help, if possible, in advise to candidates to have an abortion, pray for them, pray to your angel in Heaven.
If God forgives it is to forgive, OK? Otherwise, it would not be forgive.
But, above and all, you should tell to a priest everythings that goes in your soul, for there is the place to forgive. Here, it is only to advise.
Old Jun 26, '12, 5:10 am

Religion: catholic

I quote from the Divine Mercy

Jesus said "i disire the confidence of my people. Let not even the weak and the very sinful fear to approach me even if their sins are as numerous as all the sands of the earth all will be forgiven in the fathonless pit of My Mercy"

Say the Divine Mercy Chaplet and help others obtain The Mercy of Jesus.
He also said "The soul that will go to confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment"
This refers to doing the novena to the Divine Mercy from Good Fridnay until the Sunday after Easter. but the chaplet can be said every day...
and again He said, "Who ever will recite it will receive great mercy at the hour of death.. priests will recommend it to sinners as a last hope of salvation. Even the most hardened sinner, if he recites this chaplet even once will recieve grace from My infinite Mercy. Oh what graces i will grant souls who will recite this chaplet, by means of it you can ask and obtain anything, if what you asK for will be compatible with My will..""

TRUST HIS MERCY!!
Old Jun 26, '12, 5:48 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

That is why there is a stepping stone to heaven we believe in called Purgatory. The sins that we commit and have been forgiven of through reconciliation on earth are still with us when we die. In Purgatory, we have the ability to make amends for them all. Think of Purgatory as a dishwasher. Cleaning all the gunk and grime from our souls to be spotless in the presence of God.
Old Jun 26, '12, 5:51 am
Forum Elder

I encourage you to seek out healing through a post abortion retreat such as Project Rachel or Rachel's Vineyard. Please look for one of these in your area. Guilt will continue to eat at you until you make peace with your past.

God loves you, and wants to help you heal.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jun 26, '12, 6:22 am

Ditto 1ke. God loves you more than you can imagine.
Old Jun 26, '12, 7:24 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

The "unpardonable sin" is frequently misunderstood. Objectively, there really is no such thing. Where it appears in the bible, it is essentially a hyperbole meant to emphasize not so much that the sin itself is unpardonable, but that the sinner in question is so far gone that he identifies evil and good and good as evil. I can't recall the passage reference, but find it and reread it again. The context is one in which someone has encountered Jesus himself face to face to the point where any reasonable person could recognize the perfection of his nature. But instead of being overcome by love and relief in the presence of the Lord, these particular people were filled with hatred and rage.

The very fact that you are repentant is conclusive proof that you have NOT committed the 'unpardonable sin.' All of us are sinners and deserve eternal punishment. What you have done is terribly wrong, but not particularly different from the sins of millions of other humans who have been quite joyfully saved and now live eternally in heaven. The key is Grace. Grace can restore you to a purity and perfection you never had before. Any part of your mind that says otherwise is just listening to the whispers of the devil. Repent, confess and be healed and forgiven. It's still a beautiful world and God has plenty more in store for you. Both Peter and Judas betrayed Jesus. The biggest difference between them is what they did about it when their guilt caught up to them. Peter repented and became the 'rock' upon which the church was built. Judas despaired and killed himself and his name became synonymous with treason. Be like Peter.
Old Jun 26, '12, 4:46 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:

NO that is not the unpardonable sin. If you are Catholic simply go to Confession where you will be reconciled to Christ and the Church.
Old Jun 27, '12, 8:12 am

Religion: Cynical Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiguel View Post
The quote "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" does not apply to you.
I do not want to hijack the OP's thread and get off on a lengthy tangent, but what exactly is "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" and how does one know if they are guilty of it?
Old Jun 27, '12, 11:58 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Sheep View Post
I do not want to hijack the OP's thread and get off on a lengthy tangent, but what exactly is "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" and how does one know if they are guilty of it?
At risk of being frivolous, the simplest test is to see if you are worried that you may have committed it. If you ARE worried, you haven't. Those who SHOULD be worried, don't concern themselves with such "trivialities."

What it is, in short, is to experience God's divine presence and conclude that what you have experienced is evil. (This is NOT the same as people who have only ever experienced the version of Jesus that we flawed christians have proclaimed via the witness of our still imperfect lives. Rule of thumb: you aren't Jesus, so when people reject your witness to Christ they haven't necessarily rejected Christ himself.)
Old Jun 27, '12, 1:34 pm

Religion: Baptized and confirmed Easter Vigil, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Sheep View Post
Final impenitence, i.e., refusal to repent of one's sins, even unto death. The only reason it is "unforgivable" is because it literally cannot be forgiven: the sinner would have to open his soul to sanctifying grace, and his refusal to repent means he won't. God can't change this without taking away free will and making the sinner not a human, meaning he can no longer be an object of forgiveness. So it's not "unforgivable" in the sense that God refuses to forgive it even though He could, but in the sense that it's an ontological impossibility akin to a five-sided triangle. There are no limits to what God is willing to forgive, only to what He can forgive, and those limits are set not by Him but by ourselves.

To the OP, your sins are forgiven. You have repented, sought confession, and been absolved. If you die having committed no more mortal sins, you will go to Heaven (either immediately or, at least, after a spell in Purgatory). This is de fide: your sin is gone. You are free of it. Have faith in that.

I echo 1ke's suggestion and amend to it that you might consider getting involved in pro-life activism yourself, as a way of "paying forward" the great gift of forgiveness that has been given to you (completely unmerited, but then, that's what forgiveness is), and to warn others off the same course. One of our fellow posters here (JReducation) is superior general of the Franciscans for Life. You may want to get in contact with him and see what suggestions he might have for getting involved. By the way, by "pro-life activism," I don't just mean political agitation. I mean get involved in counseling, support groups, help out at hospitals, etc. I think you will find it tremendously freeing.

-- Pope Benedict XVI --
Old Jun 27, '12, 1:57 pm

Thanks for the replies! Appreciate it!
Old Jun 27, '12, 2:40 pm

Religion: catholic

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit means that we think God can't do something that He can. Bieving that any sin is greater than His ability to forgive it falls into that category. God has forgiven you, the church has too. Now go and learn to forgive yourself. I join with others in prayer for you.--may The peace of Jesus fill your heart mind and soul.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology