Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 23, '12, 5:56 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Is any place safe from the Devil?

Hello,

There's a thread here in Moral Theology in which a poster comments that they were having impure thoughts while within the Eucharistic Chapel. That thread prompted me to think about how far Satan can reach. Since (I believe) the question is a thread for itself, I decided not to reply to that post.

So my question is: Is there any place on this side of Heaven that is impossible for the Devil to infect? When I say "place," I mean everything from physical to mental space. Even while in prayer when receiving the Most Precious Body, or Eucharistic Adoration within a Eucharistic Chapel, he can still reach us. While praying, he can still reach us.

One of the replies in that thread (by TimothyH) said that you should treat Satan like "a dog barking on the side of the road. It runs out to scare you with its bark, but never leaves the curb." With this analogy in mind, I feel like that dog will continue to follow you on your journey, no matter where you go. Is there a place or state of mind that you can, so to speak, silence the barking?

Thank you!

Old Jun 23, '12, 6:55 pm

Default Re: Is any place safe from the Devil?

Good question, waiting for responses.
Old Jun 23, '12, 7:04 pm

Religion: Catholic

When the pope makes a statement of infallibility wouldn't the pope (at that particular point in time) be free from the influence of the devil?
Old Jun 23, '12, 7:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scott View Post
Hello,

There's a thread here in Moral Theology in which a poster comments that they were having impure thoughts while within the Eucharistic Chapel. That thread prompted me to think about how far Satan can reach. Since (I believe) the question is a thread for itself, I decided not to reply to that post.

So my question is: Is there any place on this side of Heaven that is impossible for the Devil to infect? When I say "place," I mean everything from physical to mental space. Even while in prayer when receiving the Most Precious Body, or Eucharistic Adoration within a Eucharistic Chapel, he can still reach us. While praying, he can still reach us.

One of the replies in that thread (by TimothyH) said that you should treat Satan like "a dog barking on the side of the road. It runs out to scare you with its bark, but never leaves the curb." With this analogy in mind, I feel like that dog will continue to follow you on your journey, no matter where you go. Is there a place or state of mind that you can, so to speak, silence the barking?

Thank you!
I'm not sure if this is correct, and I could be completely off, but if there is a possibility of a place where satin can't touch is in the minister of the sacraments. Being in persona christi may keep the evil one way. But because I can't speak from personal experience, my word is as good as a kid in a catechism class trying to answer a question a teacher asked.

Let me recognize You as Your disciples did so that the Eucharistic Communion be the light which disperses the darkness, the force which sustains me, the unique joy of my heart. Padre Pio

Seminarian Studying for the Priesthood of Jesus Christ
Old Jun 23, '12, 8:12 pm

People seem to be asking two different questions. One is about not sinning, and the other is about the influence or presence of the Devil.

1. Demons are pure spirit. They don't have physical barriers, per se. OTOH, since they are evil, all kinds of things can make them flee.

2. Human free will can always be exercised for good or evil, whenever we are able to exercise our free will. (Whenever we're not unconscious or asleep or sick or under the influence of drugs, that sort of thing.) For example, Eden was a pretty darned good place, but humans managed to sin there.

So yeah, there's always the possibility that demons will be bugging you, unless some kind of prayer of exorcism is going on (someone being Baptized or the like). But there's a 100% chance that we can convince ourselves to sin or not sin; whereas demons can't make us sin, they can only try to convince us to.

So don't worry too much about demons, in general. If you're having problems with temptation or other issues, talk to your priest, go to Confession, spend time at Adoration, keep yourself occupied with better things, etc.
Old Jun 24, '12, 1:09 pm

St. John Bosco said that Satan has no power over a soul who frequently visits the Blessed Sacrament.

Important in effect, the faith you have in the words of St. John Bosco is what will help you, and not the presumption of your own good works. For this is a matter of the heart. Furthermore faith is tested. "That the trial of your faith (much more precious than gold which is tried by fire) may be found to the praise and glory and honor at the appearing of Jesus Christ." (1 Pet 1:7) Or at the soul's apperance in the Adoration Chapel, for that matter.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics