Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 13, '12, 10:17 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Radio Blessing?

I apologize in advance if this question is in the wrong section or if it has already been asked. I promise, I searched for info on this before I decided to post this!
So here's my question/issue. I like to download all sorts of Catholic shows and blogs. I listen to them all day on my little MP3 player while I am working. I find that this really strengthens my faith and brings me closer to God. Plus, my day seems to go by so fast when I am engaged in listening to talk about my Catholic faith.
So, one day not too long ago I was listening to a show that had a Catholic priest on as a guest. As they often do during shows where priests are on with them, the host asked the priest if he would bless the listeners. Of course the priest obliged the host and gave a blessing to all the listeners. Without thinking, I found myself blessing myself along with the priest-"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" while making the sign of the cross. But then I realized that I was listening to a recording that was a week old! The priest had not just given the blessing "live" as I was listening, but had done so 7 days ago when the show actually aired. Once I realized this fact my overactive brain began to ask all sorts of questions, such as-
1. Had I actually been blessed, even though the true actual blessing from the priest had occurred over a week ago?
2. If I had not been blessed, when did the priest's blessing on the recording expire? Why isn't the recorded blessing valid?
3. If a recorded blessing is NOT valid, then what effect do time delays for broadcasting purposes have on a blessing? Does the fact that a blessing is delayed 5 seconds for the sake of radio protocol render it null and void even though the radio show (or TV show for that matter) is, for all intents, being aired live? What about pre-recorded shows? Are the blessings contained therein of any spiritual value?
4. And what about archival shows? What happens if an old show has a guest on it that has gone to his eternal reward and has passed from this life? Can I receive a blessing from a dead person by listening to them on a recording? (I warned you that my brain is a bit over active!)
I'm totally and absolutely serious about this. And I absolutely do not mean any disrespect to anyone. I would just really like to know what the church believes about these things in the electronic age in which we live.
Thank you in advance to anyone who might be able to shed some light on this for me.
Peace,
Jim
Old May 14, '12, 9:25 am
Engineer - Radio Dept.

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Radio Blessing?

I like your question

If you want to call in and ask it on the show tomorrow, Tim Staples or Jim Blackburn would love to answer. If you don't know we are on from 3-5 Pacific time, if you call in a couple minutes before three you are sure to get on.
Old May 14, '12, 11:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw Jim View Post
I I like to download all sorts of Catholic shows and blogs. I listen to them all day on my little MP3 player...the priest obliged the host and gave a blessing to all the listeners. Without thinking, I found myself blessing myself along with the priest...
Heh heh....been there, done that. I hope you do call the show because I would love to know the answer!
Old May 14, '12, 11:47 am

Quote:
I like to download all sorts of Catholic shows and blogs. I listen to them all day on my little MP3 player while I am working. I find that this really strengthens my faith and brings me closer to God. Plus, my day seems to go by so fast when I am engaged in listening to talk about my Catholic faith.
HI Hacksaw.......wow......so there is someone else out there doing this...lol. I suspect there are more of us than we know huh. I am now at the point of talking about my faith to co-workers. Makes it a heckuva lot easier when I somewhat know what I'm talking about. Catholic multimedia is growing and there are so many great shows out there. It really is amazing. But CAL will always have a special place because I happened to listen to it first.

Quote:
So, one day not too long ago I was listening to a show that had a Catholic priest on as a guest. As they often do during shows where priests are on with them, the host asked the priest if he would bless the listeners. Of course the priest obliged the host and gave a blessing to all the listeners. Without thinking, I found myself blessing myself along with the priest-"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" while making the sign of the cross. But then I realized that I was listening to a recording that was a week old! The priest had not just given the blessing "live" as I was listening, but had done so 7 days ago when the show actually aired.
Lol...I always do this too and have thought about some of the things you bring up. But then I figure making the sign of the cross in public can only be a good thing, right?
[/quote]
Old May 14, '12, 11:59 am

You know, I find myself thinking the same thing as well.
Old May 14, '12, 6:07 pm
Forum Elder

This has been discussed elsewhere. It appears to me that, with one exception, no blessing can be given over electronic media - radio, TV, web, telephone etc.

The one exception is the Pope's Urbis et Orbis blessing. That may be received if you are listening to the live broadcast. It is no conveyed in reruns, tapes, etc.
Old May 15, '12, 9:15 am

First thing-Whew! What a relief that I actually got some replies to my topic! This was my first post ever here on CA and I was sort of self-conscious about it and worried that folks might think it was silly. So.....Thank you all for responding! Thank you for sharing your experiences, too. You have made me feel quite welcome here and I appreciate it more than you could ever know.
Secondly, I believe that I WILL try to muster up the courage to call into the live show this afternoon as Engineer Matt has so kindly suggested. Hope I don't mess up the time zone thing.....
All the best to all of you,
Jim
Old May 15, '12, 11:10 am

Religion: now Catholic 2012

A great question.

Just my thought. and I feel similar to the one who posts about the live broadcast from the pope.....

A blessing on tape,(I include live broadcasts of others not the pope as well) though unlikely a true and direct blessing, it does remind me that there are others who do pray for me even at this very moment. It reminds me that Jesus himself is blessing me with every breath I take and with every beat of my heart. I cross myself and accept that blessing with that thought in mind praising God with all my soul.
sinners.
Old May 15, '12, 3:41 pm

Wow! How excellent is this? I just got off of the phone with Matt Swain and Tim Staples on Catholic Answers Live and they most graciously answered my questions for me on the air. I've put their answer at the end of this reply because I think it would be awesome if you went to the show archives and listened to the answer for yourselves instead of reading it here. (I was on the May 15, 2012 show and I was the first caller put on the air, just so you know.) Cool, huh? I was a bit nervous, BTW, so cut me a bit of slack if I should sound funny to you, OK?
And again, thank you very much to anyone and everyone who responded to this thread.
Wishing every good thing to every reader of this,
Jim
P.S. BTW, the answer is Yes, a radio blessing is "all good", even if it is weeks, months, or even years old! Awesome, huh? There's no expiration date on a podcast blessing, which I think is very, very cool. It has to do with the difference between a sacrament and a sacramental. I will not say anything further, for fear of butchering Tim's answer and giving out bad info. Go listen to "my" episode to get the full explanation, won't you?
Old May 15, '12, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Go listen to "my" episode to get the full explanation, won't you?

Forever to be known as the Hacksaw show. Cool!
Old May 15, '12, 4:44 pm

Religion: now Catholic 2012

I listened via tune in radio.Head you!
You sounded great.
I'm glad I found the show.

I remember when we got one of the first cassette tape recorders.
I couldent believe it was my voice.

I appreciated the further information on a picture of an adoration monstrance ...interesting.
sinners.
Old May 15, '12, 7:24 pm

Religion: Catholic by way of Luther and the Cof E

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc176 View Post
Forever to be known as the Hacksaw show. Cool!

I make the sign of the cross too. I always figured that since the Lord is outside of our time because He IS and the blessing is coming from the Lord through the priest it is valid . Even so I always thought that perhaps by that simple sign of the cross another driver might be touched by the outward sign of faith....you just never know.
Old May 15, '12, 10:24 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Great question - I hope you call in!

pray the Rosary now - http://www.comepraytherosary.org/
Old May 17, '12, 6:46 am

Hey Jim, I caught the "Hacksaw Show" yesterday on, what else, podcast. You didn't sound a bit nervous on the phone. Anyway, thanks for asking the question, I liked Tim Staples' answer.
Old May 18, '12, 9:13 am
Engineer - Radio Dept.

In case anyone missed it Hacksaw Jim called in on Tuesday and asked Tim Staples his question: http://www.catholic.com/radio/shows/qa-open-forum-7115

It's the first question of the hour. Well done Jim

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)