Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 5, '12, 11:11 pm

Religion: Maronite Catholic
Default Re: Need refutations for attacks on the Deity of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerB View Post
Dear community,

Here I go again about the Jehovah's Witnesses. I have their book "Reasoning from the Scriptures" in German, and they address some arguments for the Deity of Christ in them, especially those concerning Titles of God applied to Christ. I need some refutations on these, as they are getting me quite confused and also as they will come up in discussions with a friend of mine (JW).

For any of you who have the book in digital or print, I'll be translating the German version, so the wording may be different in the original English.

I know this is a lot of text, but maybe the points can be grouped. I hope somebody can show either their error or explain the Trinitarian position. Thank you in advance.
Catholics and Jehovah witnesses alike both believe God is a God of justice therefore Jesus died for our sake for the sins of humanity.

There’s a flaw in their theology...If Jesus were St Michael the archangel that would mean he would be a created finite being. The finite sacrifice he offered up would have been sufficient because God the infinite being requires infinite reparation for our sins. The sacrifice of St Michael would not be sufficient. only an infinite reparation would suffice the justice demanded by God for our sins. Only God is infinite, therefore Jesus is God.

God bless,
Old Jul 5, '12, 11:16 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo ergo sum View Post
Compare

with

I wonder how they're going to wiggle their way out of this one.
...the problem is that they made up their own theocracy... where not God but their leaders determine Who God Is and How His Revelations and Salvific Plan take effect... buttom line: Christ is not God and there's no Holy Trinity--their whole theology then must reflect their obstinate belief!

I'm not a scholar, but when I come across a passage that states that Christ is God or that demonstrates that Christ is God I, dumb as I am, accept the Inspiration of the Holy Spirit:

Quote:
26 Eight days later the disciples were in the house again and Thomas was with them. The doors were closed, but Jesus came in and stood among them. 'Peace be with you,' he said. 27 Then he spoke to Thomas, 'Put your finger here; look, here are my hands. Give me your hand; put it into my side. Do not be unbelieving any more but believe.' 28 Thomas replied, 'My Lord and my God!' 29 Jesus said to him: You believe because you can see me. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe. (St. John 20:26-29)

16 Meanwhile the eleven disciples set out for Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had arranged to meet them. 17 When they saw him they fell down before him, though some hesitated. (St. Matthew 28:16-17)
...the Apostles acknowledged that Jesus is God and freely confessed with their mouths and with their actions: "My Lord, and my God!"

Maran atha!

Angel
Old Jul 6, '12, 7:20 am

Religion: Maronite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustine3 View Post
If Jesus were St Michael the archangel that would mean he would be a created finite being. The finite sacrifice he offered up would have been sufficient because God the infinite being requires infinite reparation for our sins.
Sorry I meant to write "insufficent" in that sentence not sufficent.
Old Jul 7, '12, 7:46 pm

Religion: Catholic

I have a very good friend who is a JW, and it is fruitless to argue any theological translation. Why not? Because anyone can come up with any translation of any Bible. The real question is always authority, and that is what must addressed before anything else.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture