Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 26, '12, 11:35 am

Religion: Convert (Confirmed at Easter Vigil - April 19, 2014)
Default My predicament

*Sigh*

I find myself in a tough spot, going back and forth between interest in Catholicism and a desire to fulfill the ministry I was involved with at my Protestant church.

Considering motivations, I have to say that the interest in Catholicism seems to be divinely motivated, because I have had no familial and very little social influence wanting to become a Catholic. For some inexplicable reason, I love the Church. The desire to become re-associated with my Protestant church, however, seems to be humanly motivated. I love, and perhaps have become attached, to the people. I want to honor them by serving them in their church. I don't want to come across saying, "I've found the truth and you haven't."

That said, some of my greatest prayer times are when I lift my brothers and sisters up--all of whom, I would wager, are more godly than I am--and ask the Lord that they would want to come into the fullness of the faith, too. The Church would be so much better with them. And once they saw its splendor, I am sure that they would want to come in too.
Old Jun 26, '12, 11:44 am

Religion: Anglo-Catholic
Default Re: My predicament

I'm in the same situation. I love the Church even though my parents and grandparents did their damnedest to make me hate it. Right now I attend an Anglican church and I've made many friends there, and while I feel drawn the the RCC, I don't want to leave those people behind - after all, how can I know that the Catholics at my local parish would accept me anyway? It's hard.
Old Jun 26, '12, 11:50 am

Religion: Catholic

You should read the book, "No Price Too High" by Alex Jones. He was a Protestant pastor who converted to Catholicism and brought about 3-4 dozen members of his church with him. Also Marcus Grodi has a website, The Coming Home Network that is specificially designed to assist Protestant pastors who want to convert to the Catholic Church. Marcus is a former pastor and he created the website to help pastors avoid the problems he encountered and give them support and encourgement.
Old Jun 26, '12, 12:15 pm

I have never been in your specific circumstance, so take this only for what it's worth, but all that runs through my head when I read your post is Matthew 6:33: "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you."

Seek where God's truth is, and follow that. All else will fall how it will.

Old Jun 26, '12, 12:47 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

We will be praying for you. I came to Christ in a baptist church, and it was many years till I found the fullness of faith. I'd discuss this with a priest, and possibly with your friends as well. Perhaps they're feeling the same yearning that you are. However, don't be discouraged. There is no reason you can't still be friends with protestants.

"Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur"
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” - C.S. Lewis
Old Jun 26, '12, 1:02 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert
Smile Re: My predicament

I can understand, yet perhaps finally one has to say with the apostles, "We ought to obey God, rather than men." (Acts 5:29)

Ultimately, isn't our action in response to the leading of the Holy Spirit and our hunger for the truth, itself a strong witness to all these people?

You might want to download and listen to/share the following free MP3 from John Martignoni's
Bible Christian Society.

Baptist Minister Becomes Priest

This is the conversion story of Fr. Gray Bean.

Old Jun 26, '12, 1:40 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsully View Post
*Sigh*

I find myself in a tough spot, going back and forth between interest in Catholicism and a desire to fulfill the ministry I was involved with at my Protestant church.

Considering motivations, I have to say that the interest in Catholicism seems to be divinely motivated, because I have had no familial and very little social influence wanting to become a Catholic. For some inexplicable reason, I love the Church. The desire to become re-associated with my Protestant church, however, seems to be humanly motivated. I love, and perhaps have become attached, to the people. I want to honor them by serving them in their church. I don't want to come across saying, "I've found the truth and you haven't."

That said, some of my greatest prayer times are when I lift my brothers and sisters up--all of whom, I would wager, are more godly than I am--and ask the Lord that they would want to come into the fullness of the faith, too. The Church would be so much better with them. And once they saw its splendor, I am sure that they would want to come in too.
Doesn't it seem logical that your "call to serve" those in your protestant community is by becoming Catholic and becoming the best Catholic you can be - So that, through you, they can see the splendor of the Church and wish to come home too?

Something to consider...

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Jun 26, '12, 1:46 pm

Quote:
*Sigh*

Although I don't live in the same area anymore I still love and have good relationship with those of my former non-denominational church. Some are relatives. You serve those you love best by doing the will of God. I will pray for you and your congregation. I second Catholic1954's suggestion you read the book by Alex Jones. The following link is a line on simple reasons some have come into the Church.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=684511
Tiber swim team 73. Jn14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. (Christ) Lk1:48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: (Mary) for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. The Ultimate truth is CHRIST who is TRUTH.
Old Jun 26, '12, 2:23 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic1954 View Post
You should read the book, "No Price Too High" by Alex Jones. He was a Protestant pastor who converted to Catholicism and brought about 3-4 dozen members of his church with him. Also Marcus Grodi has a website, The Coming Home Network that is specificially designed to assist Protestant pastors who want to convert to the Catholic Church. Marcus is a former pastor and he created the website to help pastors avoid the problems he encountered and give them support and encourgement.
The coming home network......http://chnetwork.org/

Aside from Alex Jones, there is also Scott Hahn, who decided against accepting another higher teaching position at a protestant school....because of what he had discovered.
Old Jun 26, '12, 2:30 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
*Sigh*

I think I gave you this quote before......1 Samuel 15:22-23
22 But Samuel replied:
“Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
as much as in obeying the Lord?
To obey is better than sacrifice,
and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

23 For rebellion is like the sin of divination,
and arrogance like the evil of idolatry.
Because you have rejected the word of the Lord,
he has rejected you as king.”

Keep in mind also the story of Abraham...who was willing to sacrifice his son because God commanded him.

Quote:
I want to honor them by serving them in their church.

Submit your will to God....He will lead you a way to fulfill your desire...not as you want....but as He wants and wills it.

Quote:

That said, some of my greatest prayer times are when I lift my brothers and sisters up--all of whom, I would wager, are more godly than I am--and ask the Lord that they would want to come into the fullness of the faith, too.

Remember the passage in James...the prayer of a righteous person availeth much....when you have followed and obeyed the will of God...surrendered to His will and divine providence....don't you think your prayer then will be more powerful?

And besides...you will also have the communion of saints on your side....
Old Jun 26, '12, 3:26 pm

Sure, talking with a Priest is never a bad idea, but just so you realize. They are also human beings, some are more knowledgeable then others. Some have known more people in your situation, some may not. So just don't go to the Priest thinking they will have all the answers and then be disappointed and then lose hope. - that's my only point.

As a person in an inter-faith marriage which has felt a certain pressure, as is normal, to convert to my wife's faith (Baptist) I will say this...

If you are TRUE to your convictions and stand firm, a weird thing happens... people take it more seriously, take a step back, and honor your choice. Sometimes, they even respect you and consider your faith VERY deep to have made such a change.
I wouldn't be surprised that if you make a more or less clean break from it..that they honor that and leave you to it.
More so then if you try to keep 1 leg on each side of the fence.

Now obviously I hope you decide to come over onto OUR side of the fence.. I'm not gonna lie.
And I'll admit it is easier for me to SAY it then do it.

But just thought I'd throw that out there that if you are convicted enough that you switch 100% and don't try to keep everyone happy, I'm willing to bet people will respect and remain your friend more so, then if you try to go to both churches.

Again.. there are many ways to handle this..just throwing out an idea based on my experience.
My wife's family dropped any discussion of me joining their church once I stopped going there on again off again and just wen to the Catholic church.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics