Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 21, '12, 9:32 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)
Default Re: Do you think Protestants should not leave their denomination and rather change it from within?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
True, it does get thrown around a lot.

If memory serves, back before the ELCA and TEC-USA had a "full communion" agreement, they had a "eucharistic sharing" agreement, right? I don't recall the year.
As I recall, Peter, (and I was ELCA at the time), this is correct.

"Call to Common Mission" is more than eucharistic hospitality, getting to Edwin's thought.
It is called, as I remember, full altar and pulpit fellowship - sharing of clergy, etc. Perhaps that's as close to a definition of "full communion" as one can get.
Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Jun 21, '12, 5:46 pm

Religion: Anglo-Catholic
Default Re: Do you think Protestants should not leave their denomination and rather change it from within?

I am silently encouraging by example the acceptance of Anglo-Catholicism in my church; or rather, the awareness of Anglo-Catholicism. I'm not encouraging merging with any other church.
Old Jun 22, '12, 8:38 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to Tazchurch

I converted myself a couple of years ago, Mum had just died ,those who cared were the local Catholic Priest and the congregation. The Anglican church knew what have happened but have not contacted me to this day and that includes the clergy!

I also cared for her for several years but may as well have dropped off the face of the earth as far as the Anglican church was concerned, again it was the local Catholic Priest and the congregation who cared and kept me sane.
Old Jun 25, '12, 6:59 am

Religion: Catholic
Wink Re: Do you think Protestants should not leave their denomination and rather change it from within?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjohnson View Post
The term "Evangelical Catholic" is old, and is correctly used by JonNC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangel...al_Catholicity
I said the use was misleading not the term.
Old Jun 25, '12, 9:39 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAsia View Post
I said the use was misleading not the term.
If the term is not misleading, and I am using it correctly, how am I misleading?

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Jun 25, '12, 10:39 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic(convert)

I was a Baptist( not that attending a denom makes one anything) when I was brought into the Church. I could not have changed them and I wasn't going to try. My first obligation is to my own soul and leading the way by example and commitment. I am where I needed and need to be. I prefer non Catholic denom to the archaic and inaccurate term "protestant". They are generally not protesting..they are just not Catholic.
Old Jun 25, '12, 10:59 am
Veteran Member

Religion: non- Non-Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismopal View Post
I prefer non Catholic denom to the archaic and inaccurate term "protestant". They are generally not protesting..they are just not Catholic.
What about non-Catholic religion?

"Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other"
- the Balamand Statement

Inklings group
Old Jun 25, '12, 12:35 pm

Religion: Anglocatholic

When it comes to changing the minds of non-catholics about the Blessed Virgin Mary it seems to be an uphill battle. Mary is the one name that if you mention it in a group of non-catholics, you can almost feel the ice in the room. How that must break our Lord's heart.

I live in Calgary which is a huge city with a long winter. I'm a widow and I'm not comfortable driving long distances. It takes me 1 1/2 hours by bus to attend an Anglo Catholic Church. So I attend our neighbourhood Anglican Church which is close enough to walk to and one of our three Priests is Anglo Catholic. I have never made any secret of the fact that I am an Anglo Catholic and I love Mary but I don't expect to ever change anyone's thinking...although I do keep praying. Every once in awhile I come across someone else in our Parish who is also an Anglo Catholic which I feel is a gift to me from the Lord...so I don't feel so all alone.

My advice to anyone who loves and respects Mary, if the circumstances permit, is to seriously consider changing to the Catholic Church or the Anglo Catholic Church.
Old Jun 29, '12, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinnie View Post
I disagree. The CC is perfect and perfect in all truth.
I meant perfect as a matter of sinless members. I agree that the CC has the fullness of Truth.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions