Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 8, '12, 6:38 am

Default Creator of 'Catholicism' documentary named rector at Mundelein university

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2835424.story

Good for him! I can't think of any better to train our future priests.
Old Jun 8, '12, 7:14 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Creator of 'Catholicism' documentary named rector at Mundelein university

I've seen many of his You Tube posting. He's a good priest.
Old Jun 8, '12, 7:28 am

Default Re: Creator of 'Catholicism' documentary named rector at Mundelein university

Is that what a rector does, he trains priests?

I've enjoyed his documentary and his website, and I love hearing him talk about pop culture, especially Bob Dylan.
Old Jun 8, '12, 10:17 am

Good for Father Barron!
Old Jun 8, '12, 3:45 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

They got the right man for the job. It's probably unlikely, but I would actually like to see him become the Pope one day
All you gotta do is turn around

-Matt Maher's "Turn Around"
Old Jun 8, '12, 3:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift from God View Post
They got the right man for the job. It's probably unlikely, but I would actually like to see him become the Pope one day
Whatever the future holds for Fr. Barron's ministry, I hope and expect it will include a lot more evangelism!
Old Jun 8, '12, 4:00 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoice Always View Post
Is that what a rector does, he trains priests?
Fr. Barron has been teaching at Mundelein Seminary since 1992, so I guess he has already been helping train priests. He has now been named Rector/President, which I gather means he will be responsible for all operations there, and be the public face of the seminary.

However, this doesn't mean he is backing away from his Word on Fire ministry:

Quote:
“The mission of evangelization will continue to be a priority for me and 'Word on Fire' is essential to this mission,” said Father Barron. “I will continue to set the ethos for the 'Word on Fire' apostolate and provide new media content to enhance the Church’s outreach to the culture. I remain focused in my commitment to help promote the 'Catholicism' series and study programs as indispensable tools for the new evangelization.”
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/5/prweb9492081.htm
Old Jun 8, '12, 4:08 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift from God View Post
I wonder if selecting him for this position, given its administrative and managerial responsibilities, might be a means of evaluating him as a potential bishop?
Old Jun 8, '12, 4:17 pm
Forum Elder

Fr. Barron was interviewed by the National Catholic Register. Here are some of his thoughts regarding priestly education:

Quote:
What is it that seminarians today most need?

I think that they need a keen sense of the New Evangelization. If I have a focus for my work as rector, that’s it. That is the heroic call of our time. Priests will continue to do the classic work of a parish priest, but they are now doing it in a new setting that’s become indifferent to the faith, at best, and hostile at worst. How do you evangelize that culture? I’d like to make Mundelein a powerhouse of the New Evangelization — a place where the New Evangelization is thought about, where it’s practiced and implemented, and where that ethos is placed in the heart of the students.
Quote:
How do we prepare future priests to lead in a culture dominated by increasing secularity and hostility to the Church?

This is the work I’ve been involved in these past eight years. One reason I think the cardinal wanted me in this role was to pass on that leadership education. We need a deep soul doctoring language, from the tradition of the Church — the language of Ignatius and Aquinas and Newman and others — to address human beings at the deepest level. That is what theology is about.

I want people who are well-trained soul doctors and who also understand the culture. We cannot hunker down behind a wall. We need men who can identify the dark and the light, who can find the seeds of the Word in the culture and engage that creatively. They need to be able to look out on the culture, see what’s problematic and what’s good, and draw that out.
http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news...elein-seminary
Old Jun 8, '12, 4:25 pm

His video last week was similarly about Seminaries and formation:

http://www.wordonfire.org/WOF-TV/Com...aries-and.aspx
Old Jun 9, '12, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicanne View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2835424.story

Good for him! I can't think of any better to train our future priests.
I agree with you. AND at such a beautiful place! The little town of Mundelein was named for George Mundelein, the first Catholic bishop of Chicago. St. Mary of the Lake is a pristine and breathtakingly beautiful campus on a wooded lake hidden at the edge of town.

If you are a Catholic visitor to Northern Illinois and suburban Chicago it is nice to stop in. Right next door to the Seminary grounds (in LIBERTYVILLE, Illinois!) is Marytown - the beautiful former Benedictine Convent (now a museum and Catholic Center) with its
marble pillared and stain glass studded Church.

A nice couple of miles on Route 176 where the Lord is worshipped and honored constantly.

I love Father Barron. With our Orange County California Bishop (Tod Brown) having passed retirement age and no successor named yet (that I know of) - I wish a man like him would be next to lead our Diocese.

If the Holy Father were to promote a priest to the office I hope to see Fr. Robert J. Spitzer President of Gonzaga U, or Father Frank Pavone shepherd a major Diocese soon.

Bishop Daniel Janky of Peoria, Illinois also impressed me with his courage, zeal, and inspirational gifts.

May our Lord bless all of our Church leaders, and call new shepherds and vocations forth. And bless us, the faithful Lord, to aid them and pray for them always.

Which American Diocese ordains the most priests per capita I wonder?

Whoever they are - I hope some of their seminarians will now go to St. Mary of the Lake and Fr. Barron's tutelage.
Old Mar 13, '13, 2:51 am
Trial Membership

hello,
I also agree with you..... it is really beautiful place and Mundelein was named for George Mundelein, the first Catholic bishop of Chicago.... and i just want to tell you..... last time i visited mundelein with my wife...we felt very happy to visit there. Mundelein Locksmith

Last edited by amisemrock; Mar 13, '13 at 3:01 am.
Old Mar 13, '13, 12:57 pm

Mundelien has had some problems - I hope Fr Barron will help to make it a holier place to study.

A left-wing group which hides its political affiliations & activity, The Gamaliel Foundation, had its clergy training there a few yrs ago.

God bless our Holy Father, Pope Francis!

Mimi

“It is not a unity of religion we seek but a union of religious people. We may not be able to meet in the same pew, but we can meet together on our knees (as Christians)"
~ Archbishop Fulton J Sheen

Last edited by Mimi; Mar 13, '13 at 1:12 pm. Reason: added more information

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News