Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 12, '12, 12:54 pm
Veteran Member

Default Re: New Trad convert -- pray for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExorcist View Post
I know this thread may not 100% belong on the Trad Cath forum but I've spent quite a bit of time here and have lots of people I like that frequent this forum.

I was baptized, confirmed and received my first communion on the Feast of Corpus Christi last week. Now lingering doubts are creeping in. I am coming out of Mormonism and my leaving the church has caused my divorce. My wife blames me for ruining my marriage and is calling me a betrayer and a liar.

Please whatever prayers you can send my way would be appreciated.

Thanks

Charles
Don't fight. Not one single angry word. Not one single harsh word. No meanness at all, ever.

As one who has been divorced four years, I will tell you that biting your tounge it is one of the hardest things you will ever do. Christ could have ended all of creation as he hung on the cross but he held back, forgiving man for crucifying God. As a Catholic, Christ on the Cross forgiving mankind is your example.

Allow peace to reign and eventually, it may take a long time, but eventually peace will reign between your wife and yourself. And God can operate in that peace. And your wife will be converted when she sees your example. But this will only happen in an environment of peace.

This is your chance. You have been called to the Holy Catholic Church so that you may become more like Christ. This is your chance to be Christ.

The Catholic faith is not easy. If you ask me, I would say being Catholic is the hardest thing to do in the world. But to this you have been called.

Charles, I will pray.

-Tim-
Old Jun 12, '12, 1:08 pm

Religion: Catholic

I am so sorry for what you are going through. The fact that you have a child together further complicates things I am sure. Although there were certainly other issues in my marraige, it was at the time of my conversion to the Catholic Church that my marraige began to really crumble. By this time I had made up my mind that no one or no thing was going to stop me from entering what I believe to be the one true Church of Christ. A year after my conversion, after having our marraige convalidated, my wife left. But Jesus says that whoever doesn't take up his cross and follow Him is not worthy of Him. He also says that once we put our hand to the plow we are not to look back. I say all of this to say that there are others who understand what you are going through, and that we are praying for you.
Old Jun 12, '12, 4:08 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExorcist View Post
Not everything is as set in stone as you would present it.

Our assistant pastor is a very knowledgable very orthodox FSSP priest. If anyone can guide me through this period it will be him.

Also I think you need to be reminded that the FSSP is in full communion with Rome as well. The only complaining about VII that I hear in our parish is mainly about the abuses revolving around the OF, and we don't get a great deal of that. We tend to focus on Jesus, the Mass, our Blessed Lady and our personal prayer lives.

With Best Thoughts,

Charles
Charles, for the sake if your unraised children, I will tryto get through to you one more time, and then I'm out if here!

First, I just completed the Sacrament of Marriage after waiting 23 years. You haven't waited a month yet. And then, I did it in a "normal" Catholic church. The reason for the long wait was because it would have been a betrayal for me to marry my wife under one religion, have children, and the claim that I found Jesus in another religion.
Old Jun 12, '12, 4:17 pm

Religion: Syro-Maronite (trisat shoubho)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe100 View Post
And then, I did it in a "normal" Catholic church.
I'm not getting involved in this discussion, but I have to ask something: the OP mentioned the FSSP which makes me curious as to what "a normal Catholic church" is supposed to mean?
Old Jun 12, '12, 4:40 pm

Religion: catholic--embracing all universality, diversity,traditions

Charles,

Former Mormon here. Definitely praying for you.

A suggestion when those moments happen (and they will, especially since you are coming out of Mormonism, and I fully understand how that twists the mind).

Make sure you pray about this. Now that you have been baptized and confirmed, Divine Grace is at your disposal.

When I was having moments like you mentioned (and I did), I would go and lay out those doubts and fears, and concerned before the Lord. And then I would tell Him, that with those doubts in one hand, I was keeping an open mind. *That* is helpful.

The Lord can handle those doubts. He can handle it all. Just turn it all over to Him.

I still find (and I can into full communion in '07) that from time to time that "Mormon mind-think or prism" can still flare.

The more time goes by, the more you will be able to recognize when it happens.

Again, you have Divine Grace now. Use it.
God Bless and praying for you.
Old Jun 12, '12, 7:03 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by malphono View Post
I'm not getting involved in this discussion, but I have to ask something: the OP mentioned the FSSP which makes me curious as to what "a normal Catholic church" is supposed to mean?
Well, start another thread, so at age 71 I can clearly explain a normal Catholic during the time of the 1962 Roman Missal, and now during the 2012 Roman Missal.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism