Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 19, '13, 11:18 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Guardian Angels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleas View Post
Thanks everyone.
I just think that when things can happen to people ,say as a child for example who has no idea what is happeneing to them is wrong, why would a guardian angel allow such a thing to happen to the child if it is their "job" to protect. I see people believe they have been protected from accidents, but thats why I wondered if they protect just our own thoughts rather than things that can and have happened to people....
Sometimes the angels are known to take children/adults out of harms way, as well as inspire us with good thoughts. When a tragedy occurs I wouldn't question God.

The guardian angels job is to obey God, who has our eternal salvation in mind. We don't see the bigger picture, but from all that we know about the birth, life, death, and Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, we can trust!
Old Jul 19, '13, 1:15 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I don't believe angels can read our thoughts. However, because of their higher nature in relation to us, they are able to deduce and have fairly high accuracy when it comes to knowing what we're thinking. The same would go for demons obviously.

Angels are not supremely intelligent; however, they due have the ability to see outcomes of events and know things without seeing the complete picture. At least that's what Joan Carol Cruz's book mentioned. It's very interesting how a pure spirit can obtain knowledge. How they do specifically is unclear though. However, it does differ from our methods.
Old Jul 19, '13, 1:59 pm

Religion: Catholic - Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryZ View Post
They DO exist, I firmly believe that I am still alive today because of their intervention.
I thank God for having given me this precious gift.
Therefore I always end my daily prayers with the guardian Angel's prayer.

Peace
Same here!
Old Jul 19, '13, 7:24 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Do we all have a Guardian Angel or is it just a myth?
If we have one each, how do they guard us in our daily life? Do they shield us from danger or are they there to influence our thoughts. Since many people I think have had some form of taurma in their life, i fail to believe in them.
As a Catholic you must accept they exist because it is a Church teaching.
However, what we don't know is if a guardian angel is assigned only to one person or to several or many.

CCC 336 From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. "Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life." Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.
Old Jul 20, '13, 12:59 pm

I believe there are angels, just trying to believe we have a personal guardian angel.
Old Jul 20, '13, 5:45 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I believe there are angels, just trying to believe we have a personal guardian angel.
As I said in my post the Church teaches that we each have a guardian angel but it does not teach if that angel is only for one or more persons.
Old Jul 21, '13, 4:36 am

I suppose they are part of many things which can not be explained, when they protect some people and not others, maybe there is a reason for this, but we can never know until the end.
Thanks for all your opinion's.
Old Jul 21, '13, 6:20 am

Some saints could see not only their own Guardian Angel but those of others. One good account of a Guardian Angel and his actions is the biography of St. Gemma Galgani, which you can find online.

One might think that only saints have Guardian Angels, but the sight of the Guardian Angels of other people shows otherwise.

As per your OP, it's an old question: If there is a God (or Guardian Angel) why does he allow suffering? Don't fail to believe in either because of suffering and evil in the world.

Brian
Old Jul 21, '13, 6:33 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Everyone has a Guardian Angel. From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catechism of the Catholic Church
352 The Church venerates the angels who help her on her earthly pilgrimage and protect every human being.
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/352.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catechism of the Catholic Church
336 From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. "Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life." Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/336.htm
Old Jul 21, '13, 8:44 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Everyone has a Guardian Angel. From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/352.htm

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/336.htm
That's correct. We all have a guardian angel but we don't know if one angel is assigned only to one person or if an angel is assigned to more than one person.
Old Jul 21, '13, 3:10 pm
Trial Membership

Just read anything published from the writings or speeches of mystic saints. Most of them have has some kind of contact with their guardian angel. It is a very formal relationship rather than friendly it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruciferi View Post
I don't believe angels can read our thoughts. However, because of their higher nature in relation to us, they are able to deduce and have fairly high accuracy when it comes to knowing what we're thinking. The same would go for demons obviously.

Angels are not supremely intelligent; however, they due have the ability to see outcomes of events and know things without seeing the complete picture. At least that's what Joan Carol Cruz's book mentioned. It's very interesting how a pure spirit can obtain knowledge. How they do specifically is unclear though. However, it does differ from our methods.
Couldn't disagree more.

http://youtu.be/OW7Ti9bkqi8

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality