Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jun 16, '12, 6:22 am
Crescentinus's Avatar
Crescentinus Crescentinus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 5, 2012
Posts: 4,272
Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic
Default Gamer question

I know this is odd, but the typical depiction of a paladin in role-playing games is that of a priest.-type character. My question is, would it be a smart idea if the paladin is depicted as a deacon-type character that could wield swords as well as maces?

/runs
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jun 16, '12, 6:26 am
JharekCarnelian's Avatar
JharekCarnelian JharekCarnelian is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: April 14, 2008
Posts: 22,785
Religion: Latin rite Catholic
Default Re: Gamer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescentinus View Post
I know this is odd, but the typical depiction of a paladin in role-playing games is that of a priest.-type character. My question is, would it be a smart idea if the paladin is depicted as a deacon-type character that could wield swords as well as maces?

/runs
Paladins in D and D and similar games generally do wield swords. You are thinking of Clerics who often have that whole 'mace or blunt' weapons ethos derived from medieval codes about not spilling blood.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jun 16, '12, 6:30 am
Crescentinus's Avatar
Crescentinus Crescentinus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 5, 2012
Posts: 4,272
Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic
Default Re: Gamer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
Paladins in D and D and similar games generally do wield swords. You are thinking of Clerics who often have that whole 'mace or blunt' weapons ethos derived from medieval codes about not spilling blood.
Asides from the ethos and equipment, what are the other differences?It's not just in D and D but also in other games. o:
For instance, the Diablo II series, Paladins do carry maces, clubs and scepters. However, they do wield other weapons such as swords and spears.

So, if Cleric-class characters are based from Catholic priests, how about Paladin-class characters?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jun 16, '12, 6:33 am
JharekCarnelian's Avatar
JharekCarnelian JharekCarnelian is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: April 14, 2008
Posts: 22,785
Religion: Latin rite Catholic
Default Re: Gamer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescentinus View Post
Asides from the ethos and equipment, what are the other differences?It's not just in D and D but also in other games. o:
For instance, the Diablo II series, Paladins do carry maces, clubs and scepters. However, they do wield other weapons such as swords and spears.

So, if Cleric-class characters are based from Catholic priests, how about Paladin-class characters?
The original Paladins were the foremost warriors of Charlemagne's court. But they have become something of a chivalrous stereotype in RPGs.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jun 16, '12, 6:34 am
Crescentinus's Avatar
Crescentinus Crescentinus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 5, 2012
Posts: 4,272
Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic
Default Re: Gamer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
The original Paladins were the foremost warriors of Charlemagne's court. But they have become something of a chivalrous stereotype in RPGs.
So, in theory, would it be a smart idea to have a Paladin-class character as a deacon or should the Paladin-class character be a layman? o:
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jul 16, '12, 5:04 pm
PaladinSword's Avatar
PaladinSword PaladinSword is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 29, 2011
Posts: 134
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to PaladinSword
Default Re: Gamer question

As you might be able to tell, I always play Paladin. Also Final Fantasy IV is fantastic!
__________________
4th degree Sir Knight
Knights of Columbus
council 3148
James Francis Cardinal McIntyre Assembly
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jul 16, '12, 5:45 pm
Interhawk Interhawk is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: March 17, 2008
Posts: 18
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gamer question

Just had to reply in support of "Final Fantasy IV is fantastic" :-)
Cecil used a sword, so yeah, sword.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jul 16, '12, 7:16 pm
Crescentinus's Avatar
Crescentinus Crescentinus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 5, 2012
Posts: 4,272
Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic
Default Re: Gamer question

So, can a deacon be a paladin and vice-versa?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jul 17, '12, 12:17 am
PaladinSword's Avatar
PaladinSword PaladinSword is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 29, 2011
Posts: 134
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to PaladinSword
Default Re: Gamer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescentinus View Post
So, can a deacon be a paladin and vice-versa?
Deacons are Clergy and I don't believe they can wield weapons.

Paladins are more like the Knights Templar. They are like a combination between clergy and knighthood. They are usually depicted as sword wielding warriors who have holy powers through the participation of a relationship with a deity. They usually have strong religious convictions or are sent on a mission by their deity. One of the abilities of paladins in D&D is lay on hands which heals a party members hp. Ability wise they are like the combination of a cleric and a warrior but in appearance they are more like Knights. As someone previously stated they are based on legendary figures in the court of Charlemagne, The song of Roland, or the Knights of the Round Table.
__________________
4th degree Sir Knight
Knights of Columbus
council 3148
James Francis Cardinal McIntyre Assembly
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jul 17, '12, 12:23 am
PaladinSword's Avatar
PaladinSword PaladinSword is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 29, 2011
Posts: 134
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to PaladinSword
Default Re: Gamer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interhawk View Post
Just had to reply in support of "Final Fantasy IV is fantastic" :-)
Cecil used a sword, so yeah, sword.
Playing it for the first time coincided with my reversion to the Church and my own eventual knighthood so it has a very special place in my heart.

Also to the OP I believe you should try this game as it will give you a better idea of a classic paladin.
__________________
4th degree Sir Knight
Knights of Columbus
council 3148
James Francis Cardinal McIntyre Assembly
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jul 17, '12, 12:25 am
Crescentinus's Avatar
Crescentinus Crescentinus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 5, 2012
Posts: 4,272
Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic
Default Re: Gamer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinSword View Post
Playing it for the first time coincided with my reversion to the Church and my own eventual knighthood so it has a very special place in my heart.

Also to the OP I believe you should try this game as it will give you a better idea of a classic paladin.
I've finished playing FFIV and even Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on a GBA emulator months ago.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jul 17, '12, 12:38 am
PaladinSword's Avatar
PaladinSword PaladinSword is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 29, 2011
Posts: 134
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to PaladinSword
Default Re: Gamer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescentinus View Post
I've finished playing FFIV and even Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on a GBA emulator months ago.
Excellence!
__________________
4th degree Sir Knight
Knights of Columbus
council 3148
James Francis Cardinal McIntyre Assembly
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jul 17, '12, 4:42 am
Crescentinus's Avatar
Crescentinus Crescentinus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 5, 2012
Posts: 4,272
Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic
Default Re: Gamer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinSword View Post
Excellence!
Cecil Harvey uses a sword while FFTA paladins use a special type of one-handed sword known as a knightsword.
It's funny how Cecil used to be a Dark Knight.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8479Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Weejee
5153CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4429Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3864SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3762Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: daughterstm
3332Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3288Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3225Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3116For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Weejee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 2:52 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.