Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 19, '12, 4:53 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I think I need to take a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick457 View Post
Recently I've been coming to question my presence here in CAF. It seems to me now that for the six years I've been here, I've never really said anything of real value - on the contrary I may probably be just a burden to other folks here. I was getting kind of dissatisfied with what I am posting and saying: hey, I'm just a nineteen year-old going on twenty. I'm no authority after all.

So yeah, I'm very depressed. I am now seriously considering taking a break from posting or perhaps even quitting the forums, although I'm still somewhat hesitant to actually quit. I'll probably refrain from activity. Just how long it would take - days or weeks - I can't say yet. Perhaps I could even just scrap the idea.

But still, since I might not be able to say it if somehow I'm gone away for good: you guys were great. I can't put into words how CAF really helped me a lot. And I know I stepped on a lot of people's toes, but if I have ever offended anyone, I sincerely ask their forgiveness and prayers. In fact I'd ask everyone who reads this to pray for me.

Once again, thank you very much. Peace.
I don't come on often.but.I always appreciate your posts.

you're thoughtful and kind...please know I'll pray for you
Old Jun 19, '12, 5:14 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I decided to stay (which is not a total guarantee that I will stay), if only because I think I still have some 'unfinished business' to do. What that 'unfinished business' is I myself am not certain.
glad that you decided to stay. like i said, some threads i avoid because like you said, they become very tedious. maybe God just doesn't want you to devote so much time on CAF, but in learning and reading about some aspect of Catholicism that you can then share on CAF. sometimes i will only see what threads are on the Worldnews forum and avoid the religious threads all together. yes, i get tired of the "shouting" matches also.
i do miss the Politics forum that CAF had before the election of 2008. doubt if it will be back before this election. but it is good to come here and know that there are certain posters who think like i do or we just give each other moral support in this tough economy.
i think the reason the same threads keep popping up is that new people convert or have questions about Catholicism and then there are those who want to egg on an argument between protestants and Catholics. i have learned a lot here though and for that reason alone i will probably continue to return to CAF. i wish i could donate money more often for CAF to operate, but my budget this past year has shrunk to practically nothing.
you are young and have a lot to learn about life and your faith journey is just beginning so i can see why you could get discouraged here.
DO NOT BE OVERCOME BY EVIL, BUT OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD. ~~~ Romans 12:21
Old Sep 14, '12, 9:02 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Sorrows View Post
glad that you decided to stay. like i said, some threads i avoid because like you said, they become very tedious. maybe God just doesn't want you to devote so much time on CAF, but in learning and reading about some aspect of Catholicism that you can then share on CAF. sometimes i will only see what threads are on the Worldnews forum and avoid the religious threads all together. yes, i get tired of the "shouting" matches also.
i do miss the Politics forum that CAF had before the election of 2008. doubt if it will be back before this election. but it is good to come here and know that there are certain posters who think like i do or we just give each other moral support in this tough economy.
i think the reason the same threads keep popping up is that new people convert or have questions about Catholicism and then there are those who want to egg on an argument between protestants and Catholics. i have learned a lot here though and for that reason alone i will probably continue to return to CAF. i wish i could donate money more often for CAF to operate, but my budget this past year has shrunk to practically nothing.
you are young and have a lot to learn about life and your faith journey is just beginning so i can see why you could get discouraged here.
A belated thanks for the comment.

The reason why I felt like leaving or at least lessening my presence here (something which I again feel nowadays) is mainly because I feel that CAF is becoming a heavy burden for me; one could say that it's very much like an addiction, something which distracts me from what I really should be doing IRL. I'm caught in a dilemma: I really loathe to leave for good since the forums has at least helped me for the five to six years I've been here, but at the same time, I also think that it might be the only way to solve the problem. In short, I really don't know what to do right now.

As for shouting matches: they weary me and I don't really want to engage in them, but recently I am finding my patience meter to be very low and could not help but sound very snappish; in other words, I am becoming what I hate. I know it's detrimental for me and for others and would really like to do something about that too.
Old Sep 15, '12, 3:30 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (Baptized Easter Sunday 2013)

You are unbelievably knowledgeable for a 20 year old. I thought that you had a theology degree.
Old Sep 15, '12, 3:41 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJesusItrust View Post
You are unbelievably knowledgeable for a 20 year old. I thought that you had a theology degree.
I don't; any 'knowledge' I may potentially display on these forums are strictly unofficial and are the fruit of personal interest.
Old Sep 15, '12, 4:43 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:

The reason why I felt like leaving or at least lessening my presence here (something which I again feel nowadays) is mainly because I feel that CAF is becoming a heavy burden for me; one could say that it's very much like an addiction, something which distracts me from what I really should be doing IRL. I'm caught in a dilemma: I really loathe to leave for good since the forums has at least helped me for the five to six years I've been here, but at the same time, I also think that it might be the only way to solve the problem. In short, I really don't know what to do right now.

As for shouting matches: they weary me and I don't really want to engage in them, but recently I am finding my patience meter to be very low and could not help but sound very snappish; in other words, I am becoming what I hate. I know it's detrimental for me and for others and would really like to do something about that too.

i understand what you mean about it almost being like an addiction. i think for me, for awhile, it was. especially when i was a new Catholic and i joined right before the election of 2008 so i really enjoyed the political forum, but i also enjoyed the religious threads like non-Catholic religions. i did learn a lot from some of them though and i think it did help strengthen my faith and helped me to understand Catholicism better when i first became Catholic. i had a lot of support and felt comfortable asking questions. yes, there are certain posters who post who i know i will not agree with, and sometimes i get frustrated, but we are all still a work in progress and are meeting one another at our point in our journey. most people here are mature enough to apologize if they have hurt someone's feelings and those usually are the people who are still around. i don't like the snappy ones either. but that doesn't mean that what YOU have to say is not important. i try to snap back sometimes in a charitable way and sometimes it is not easy to be charitable.
i guess it teaches you compassion, patience and understanding.
DO NOT BE OVERCOME BY EVIL, BUT OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD. ~~~ Romans 12:21
Old Sep 15, '12, 9:02 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Sorrows View Post
i understand what you mean about it almost being like an addiction. i think for me, for awhile, it was. especially when i was a new Catholic and i joined right before the election of 2008 so i really enjoyed the political forum, but i also enjoyed the religious threads like non-Catholic religions. i did learn a lot from some of them though and i think it did help strengthen my faith and helped me to understand Catholicism better when i first became Catholic. i had a lot of support and felt comfortable asking questions. yes, there are certain posters who post who i know i will not agree with, and sometimes i get frustrated, but we are all still a work in progress and are meeting one another at our point in our journey. most people here are mature enough to apologize if they have hurt someone's feelings and those usually are the people who are still around. i don't like the snappy ones either. but that doesn't mean that what YOU have to say is not important. i try to snap back sometimes in a charitable way and sometimes it is not easy to be charitable.
i guess it teaches you compassion, patience and understanding.
Hmmm...you might be right. Thanks for the comment again.
Old Sep 16, '12, 5:12 pm

Send a message via MSN to farpinho

Hello, patrick. I am not under your skin, of course, but I think I sort of understand in part the reasons why you might want to leave the forums. I haven't been here for a very long time myself (I'm fairly new here), and only very recently I started to study religion in a deepr way. As someone new in this forum, I recognize some of the stuff I post or ask here are rather silly or obvious, and sometimes after some deeper thought, I frequently find myself regretting from posting something, since I realized how silly or obvious it was. I wanted to deeply apologize for some of the stuff I had said in this forum, but I also wanted you to know that nobody can stop you from leaving here, of course, you are totally free to your choices, but you will definitely be a big big loss to our forum!
Your replies to my questions helped me see the Scriptures in a different way from what I was used to seeing them, and you are the user in this forum who strenghtened my faith the most, honestly. I learned really a lot from you, you have been a really big help. I really like your in-depth explanations, and the dedication you have to develop the explanations so that someone with not so much knowledge in History like myself for example, can understand. If anything, I'd like to sincerely thank you for all you have done.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Last edited by farpinho; Sep 16, '12 at 5:30 pm.
Old Sep 16, '12, 5:50 pm

Send a message via MSN to farpinho

And, yes, I'm also most grateful for every time you correct a wrong idea I have. I feel I'm learning a lot in this forum.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Old Sep 16, '12, 6:20 pm

Religion: post-modern tribal Catholic

Quote:

Hi Patrick,

The Forums can be addictive but at the same time at least your addiction is a good one. I know right now I'm supposed to be doing my laundry, but instead I've spent most of my day here -not being able to set my IPhone down for more than 15 or 20 minutes at a time... I'm just waiting for someone, anyone to respond to my posts and I don't seem to have any clear reason as to why... I've recently considered giving my phone up for a basic flip phone w/ no Internet access just to force myself to limit my exposure here... But then again, Im forced to question whether that would benefit me personally in the end or not.

I just don't know.

(I don't know that we've ever debated before, which is probably a good thing considering that that means we would probably have been on the same side of a given issue...)
religion is the highest school of thought. It isnt a security blanket -it is a platform that allows us to reach beyond the restrictiveness of science, politics and philosophy. There is no other framework of logic that can reach farther.
Old Sep 16, '12, 6:23 pm

You know, there are days on here where discussions can get heated and I find myself questioning if coming on here leads me to the sin of being uncharitable. However, I know I learn so much on here. None of us are experts, but by having discussions, we help each other learn and grow. We are all of value on here.
Old Sep 16, '12, 6:31 pm

Religion: post-modern tribal Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfEagles View Post
You know, there are days on here where discussions can get heated and I find myself questioning if coming on here leads me to the sin of being uncharitable. However, I know I learn so much on here. None of us are experts, but by having discussions, we help each other learn and grow. We are all of value on here.
That's a good point.

Most of the time on these forums, I have no idea where the topic is going to lead, and I have no plan or "agenda" for it, so sometimes it amazes me to see where things end up -and often times I learn something new or piece different things together and they make more sense than they did before.
religion is the highest school of thought. It isnt a security blanket -it is a platform that allows us to reach beyond the restrictiveness of science, politics and philosophy. There is no other framework of logic that can reach farther.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence