Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 1, '12, 1:20 pm
CAF News Bot

Default LCWR denounces Vatican intervention, says critique 'unsubstantiated' [CWN]

The Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR) has a Vatican call for reform of their group, saying that it has "caused scandal and pain throughout the church community, and caused ...

More...

Discussion welcomed and encouraged.
Old Jun 1, '12, 3:17 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female
Default Re: LCWR denounces Vatican intervention, says critique 'unsubstantiated' [CWN]

How is it 'unsubstantiated?'

Cokie Roberts, who was a keynote speaker LCWR assembly, 'described Pope Benedict XVI as “really lacking in the theological virtue of charity,” and who has called pro-lifers “extremists”-- is a critic of Catholic teaching on embryonic stem-cell research. Appearing on ABC-TV in 2007, Mrs. Roberts said that she found the federal law against partial-birth abortion “offensive as a woman.”

The keynote speaker for the 2012 LCWR assembly is trying to spread new age transhumanism which is heretical:

Read about some of the radical people within the LCWR; supporting ordination of women to the priesthood, gay 'marriage,' abortion, sterilization of women etc:

How the LCWR has gone off the rails:

Quote:
Superiors therefore are asked in the visitation questionnaire to report on how often the Eucharist is celebrated in the order’s facilities, if sisters are encouraged to attend daily Mass, whether liturgical norms are followed, if rituals replace the Church’s liturgical practices, whether sisters give “reflections” in place of the priest’s homily, whether priests at community gatherings are encouraged to concelebrate, whether sisters pray the official Liturgy of the Hours, and if the sacraments are made available to the sick and elderly.

These are not idle questions dreamed up by some Vatican bureaucrat. Each is based on real-life experiences of sisters known to this writer. For example, a sister whose motherhouse is in New York reports that the elderly in her order are dispersed in secular nursing homes where access to the sacraments is limited. Many sisters say that it is common in their religious orders for sisters chosen by leadership to give a“reflection” in place of the homily. And they say that strange rituals often replace observances of the Church’s liturgical practices.

Sister Elizabeth McDonough, OP wrote in Review for Religious in 1992 what sisters in dozens of communities have told her: “They are repulsed by rituals that center on shells and stones, streams and twigs, windmills and waterfalls, and at which so fundamental a Christian symbol as the cross of Jesus Christ is often noticeable only by its absence.” And it is obvious this trend continues today, as anyone can see by looking at photos on the web pages of a variety of women’s orders, as well as photos from LCWR assemblies that are posted on www.lcwr.org.

Even the doxology prayed in many of the women’s orders has been debased and neutered, with “Father” being replaced with “Source of all being,” and “Son” replaced with “Eternal word.” Liturgical books also have been corrupted, with many women’s orders replacing the Church’s Liturgy of the Hours with an inclusive-language, feminist version of the daily office. And routinely it is made quite clear to priests that they are not welcome to concelebrate at convent liturgies because the sight of multiple priests is upsetting or offensive to sisters who support the ordination of women.
Old Jun 1, '12, 4:11 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Vatican vs. U.S. nuns group

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...228n&tag=strip

A couple points that jumped out at me:

1. They started talking about "radical feminism". However, no one defined what that means. Then the sister began talking about all good Catholics should be feminist. Well, as far as I know, the Vatican has not talked about feminism, just radical feminism. There is a difference.

2. The church should be more like a democracy. That just sounds odd. I think I remember Jesus telling someone that He (Jesus) is giving him (Peter) the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven. And that isn't like today where someone gets the key to a city, just a nice gesture. Also, something about binding on earth is bound in heaven....

Does anyone know if there is an official Church document that defines "radical feminism"?
Old Jun 1, '12, 4:28 pm

Default Re: LCWR denounces Vatican intervention, says critique 'unsubstantiated' [CWN]

I can voich for the replacement of the Liturgy of the Hours with "The Liturgy of the Hours with Inclusive Language." I happen to have a copy of The New Companion to the Breviary.

The Doxology reads "Glory to you, source of All Being, Eternal Word, and Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever."

On the other hand, they aren't truely going for gender neutrality. Consider their version of the Magnificat (Canticle of Mary):

My Soul proclaims your greatness, O my God,
and my spirit has rejoiced in you, my Savior,

For your regard has blessed me,
poor, and a serving woman.

From this day all generations
will call me blessed,

For you who are mighty, have made me great.
Most Holy is your Name.

Your mercy is on those who fear you
throughout all generations.

You have showed strength with your arm,
You have scattered the proud in their hearts' fantasy.

You have put down the mighty from their seats,
and have lifted up the powerless.

You have filled the hungry with good things,
and have sent the rich away empty.

You, remembering your mercy,
have helped your people Israel-

As you promised to Abraham and Sarah.
Mercy to their children, forever. Glory...
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Jun 1, '12, 6:06 pm

Default Re: Vatican vs. U.S. nuns group

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...228n&tag=strip

A couple points that jumped out at me:

1. They started talking about "radical feminism". However, no one defined what that means. Then the sister began talking about all good Catholics should be feminist. Well, as far as I know, the Vatican has not talked about feminism, just radical feminism. There is a difference.

2. The church should be more like a democracy. That just sounds odd. I think I remember Jesus telling someone that He (Jesus) is giving him (Peter) the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven. And that isn't like today where someone gets the key to a city, just a nice gesture. Also, something about binding on earth is bound in heaven....

Does anyone know if there is an official Church document that defines "radical feminism"?

Opps, I thought I was starting a new thread. Sorry!!!!
Old Jun 1, '12, 6:10 pm

*vouch
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Jun 1, '12, 6:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post
Opps, I thought I was starting a new thread. Sorry!!!!
It's ok. Looks like your thread was merged with this one as they discuss the same story/issue.
Old Jun 1, '12, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmclark View Post
It's ok. Looks like your thread was merged with this one as they discuss the same story/issue.
Then opps again. I created another thread! Sorry moderators.....
Old Jun 1, '12, 6:54 pm

I find the LCWR Leadership's claim that the concerns of heterorthodoxy quite amusing. Anyone who have read the report from the Holy See would know that there were many instances listed by the Holy See! These sisters are just being plain dishonest and ought to be called to task by the prophetic laity!

Of course, they might be engaging in doublespeak too. What they could mean is that they don't judge themselves to be espousing heterorthodox ideas and practices. There was an article in America by a professor Christine in support of the LCWR that goes close to this line of thinking. Disingenuously, she tried to label the papal teaching in Ordinatio Sacerdotalis as "non-infallible" teachings concerned about "sex, authority and power". But as the Church sees it, the teaching is infallible and about the dignity of masculinity and femininity,

So it boils down to whether the LCWR will follow the example of Christ and submit to legitimate authority, or insist on their own claims to authority. They are trying to play the victim now, and as prophetic laity, we must not allow them to do so.
Old Jun 1, '12, 8:21 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Abyssinia View Post
Cokie Roberts, who was a keynote speaker LCWR assembly, 'described Pope Benedict XVI as “really lacking in the theological virtue of charity,” and who has called pro-lifers “extremists”-- is a critic of Catholic teaching on embryonic stem-cell research. Appearing on ABC-TV in 2007, Mrs. Roberts said that she found the federal law against partial-birth abortion “offensive as a woman.”
Someone please explain to me why the LCWR would choose the married laywoman Cokie Roberts, ex-journalist and retired political commentator, to be their keynote speaker?

On what authority and to what relevance would she be to consecrated religious?
Old Jun 6, '12, 6:28 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth502 View Post
...On what authority and to what relevance would she be to consecrated religious?
She is famous; therefore, she is an expert on such matters.
Old Jun 6, '12, 6:40 am

It's funny when the rebuttal confirms the Vatican's premise!

How would I react if I caught my kids doing something wrong, consulted my wife, imposed punishment, and then the kids complained about the "transparency of the process"? Transparency doesn't matter - I caught you! Is that the best defense you have?

So, the LCWR seems to be flirting with "obstinate" refusal.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News