Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 15, '12, 11:08 am

Default Watching a movie with excessive blasphemy.

So.. I purchased a movie / series with excessive blasphemy.. Am i stll allowed to watch or not watch it?

I am thinking maybe just say the Golden arrow prayer to make up

thoughts
Old Jun 15, '12, 12:12 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Watching a movie with excessive blasphemy.

What is the movie, if you don't mind saying? Because it depends upon whether there is a "good message" behind the movie and an end where good triumphs over evil, or whether evil is triumphant and the purpose of the movie is to blaspheme God. Also, if you are inclined to swear or you used to swear but stopped, then the movie could be an occasion of sin for you. It really just all depends.
Old Jun 15, '12, 12:33 pm
Forum Elder

Consult your Confessor.

It's tough to make some sort of universally applicable mandate in this regard. If it were that cut-and-dry, we'd probably have a statement from the Holy See outlining what we are to watch.

Discernment is required. TV can depict immoral acts without glorifying those immoral acts. But then, there are a lot of TV shows and movies that depict immoral acts grattuitously and are more morally problematic.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jun 15, '12, 12:43 pm

Religion: Catholic Christian

Would you be willing to have the Blessed Virgin watch the movie/series with you?
In my case if I would be uncomfortable having Jesus or Mary watch something with me I try to avoid if possible. That's right, I don't watch many movies or television programs.

I agree with the second poster about your personal sin tendancy having some bearing on this.
Old Jun 15, '12, 12:59 pm
Forum Master

We watched "Wanted" and couldn't believe the amount of gratuitous crass language it contained--that's besides the gratuitous sex. I felt like I had to bathe my brains after that experience, so we are very careful now when we rent and view an R rated film to see what the rating is for.

Crass language is like seasoning--if over used it spoils the story, even if it otherwise promotes good ethics/morals in some other area, such as justice or love. Any film/book/whatever that abuses language like this should be avoided so we're not supporting, and we aren't tainted by it.

Tiber Swim Team, Class of '87.

Inklings!

"Sanctum erit, facere bonum" Della's blog: http://dellakmg.blogspot.com/
Old Jun 15, '12, 2:40 pm

There are no prohibitions on ANYTHING that we may hear or see. To utter blasphemy is sinful. To hear it is not. If you find that watching such a movie leads you into sin, then avoid the movie... Otherwise, no worries.

See all; close a charitable eye to most of it; make corrections little by little.

JohnXXIII
Old Jun 15, '12, 2:57 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myqyl View Post
There are no prohibitions on ANYTHING that we may hear or see. To utter blasphemy is sinful. To hear it is not. If you find that watching such a movie leads you into sin, then avoid the movie... Otherwise, no worries.
This. More recently, I'm starting to avoid movies with excessive violence or sex. Not that I will go and kill someone, but I do notice that I get a little more "aggressive" and prone to anger and also towards lustful thoughts after watching these movies. I still watch movies that have the occasional fight sequence or three - e.g. Avengers - but I also realize something my friend told me years ago: "Garbage in...stays in!"

God bless,
Bryan

I believe one of God's most under-appreciated gifts to us is the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
Old Jun 15, '12, 7:30 pm

its a military movie.. and the words G*dd*mn / H*ly **** and H*ly sh*t frequently come up

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality