Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 17, '12, 10:59 am

Religion: Anglo-Catholic
Default Celibate on the Shot

I've been on the shot since I was 18 due to irascible periods. After struggling through Midol, heating pads, fetal positions, etc. I just couldn't take it anymore. I went on the shot because periods stop altogether on it - even my "light" periods made me a monster to be around, people would hate me because I was so uncomfortable and lashing out.

I don't see any marriage in my future. I've always been of a solitary bent, I've even considered becoming a nun in a cloistered order. I am not a romantic or "family person", to me I feel perfectly happy with just God and me.
Old Jun 17, '12, 1:15 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Celibate on the Shot

I don't see anything wrong with this morally, but how healthy is that shot your'e taking? Are there any bad side effects assosiated with this medicine?

Also, just so you know, not having your period could lead to vaginal polyps.

"The Eucharist is the supreme proof of the Love of Jesus. After this, there is nothing more but Heaven."--St. Peter Julian Eymard
Old Jun 17, '12, 1:27 pm

Well like anything else it's not absolutely perfect, but I take supplements to counter the side effects and they work really well. Haven't heard about polyps but if I'm not sexually active I don't see how that could be an issue.
Old Jun 17, '12, 2:17 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Is it Lupron? There's nothing wrong with that. And I've never heard of it causing polyps. Nevertheless, I am sure you're under a physicians care and they will not have you on it forever. If you're single and living chastely, it just causes a chemical menopause and wouldn't be a moral consideration. Were you to marry you would need another plan to manage the symptoms without causing sterility.
Old Jun 17, '12, 2:32 pm

I've never heard of it either. Obviously there's no reason for anyone to remain on birth control forever - eventually our bodies just give up (around 50 or so)....

If something healthier comes along that still prevents periods I'll look into it, but with the shot/supplement combo I'm doing really well. There aren't any bad long-term effects if I don't marry (marriage is highly unlikely - think of your own personal chances of walking on the moon).
Old Jun 17, '12, 4:37 pm

Now, if this is not immoral in these circumstances, can I join the church without fear of retribution for doing so while on a contraceptive? I don't want the communion wafer to burn my tongue.
Old Jun 17, '12, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabooru View Post
Now, if this is not immoral in these circumstances, can I join the church without fear of retribution for doing so while on a contraceptive? I don't want the communion wafer to burn my tongue.
Come on home
Old Jun 18, '12, 8:19 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Well like anything else it's not absolutely perfect, but I take supplements to counter the side effects and they work really well. Haven't heard about polyps but if I'm not sexually active I don't see how that could be an issue.
I was told by a friend who takes vitex so she can get her period that if she doesn't get her period, she was told by her doctor that she could get vaginal polyps. She is not sexually active (or so I assume because she is a devout Catholic whose husband left her.)

"The Eucharist is the supreme proof of the Love of Jesus. After this, there is nothing more but Heaven."--St. Peter Julian Eymard
Old Jun 18, '12, 4:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiViolet View Post
I was told by a friend who takes vitex so she can get her period that if she doesn't get her period, she was told by her doctor that she could get vaginal polyps. She is not sexually active (or so I assume because she is a devout Catholic whose husband left her.)
There are multiple drugs out there, and multiple ways to get the appropriate chemical cocktail, which of course must be balanced with the individual's reactions and overall health. The key is just having a doctor who pays attention and really cares about giving her the best care, which it sounds like she has.
Old Jun 18, '12, 5:55 pm
Forum Elder

Can someone explain to me what "on the shot" means?
Old Jun 18, '12, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Can someone explain to me what "on the shot" means?
It's a progestin only contraceptive administered via injection (thus "shot") every few months. It works much the same as the mini pill, but is considered more effective. As with the mini pill, though, some women may continue to ovulate, and thus a secondary mechanism comes into play, where the uterine lining is inhospitable to a fertilised egg.

Anyway, the OP has nothing to worry about, as she's using it to treat a legitimate medical condition. Where she married, we could debate the issue regarding the use of abortifacient hormonal treatments for sexually active spouses, but she's not so it's moot here.
Old Jun 18, '12, 8:01 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
The retribution is going to surely be severe. You will have to wear a hair shirt for seven years, fast on bread and water for forty days and vow to never again eat chocloate, for starters.
Old Jun 22, '12, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfather View Post
The retribution is going to surely be severe. You will have to wear a hair shirt for seven years, fast on bread and water for forty days and vow to never again eat chocloate, for starters.

"For starters" indeed!
Old Jun 29, '12, 12:14 pm

No chocolate?

Welp, looks like I'm an Anglican.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology