Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 6, '12, 10:06 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Staying pure is tough for my girlfriend, need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut7949 View Post
during the day, at the cafe... Public places,,,, and you can say go back where you came from to the evil tempters
Yes. I absolutely believe this.

Obviously temptation would still creep up, but also does the thought of being arrested too.. that's a pretty good way to aid in avoiding the tempations!

Old Jul 7, '12, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by williegarvin View Post
Thank you for all the helpful replies so far! I'm kind of thinking over the gradual withdrawal thing, and I agree. I have to replace it with other displays of affection.

I hear what you are saying about avoiding temptations but for now that's not an option. We are spending time alone with each other and even sleeping together from time to time. If I would withdraw from that, at this moment in time, she would just break down. I'm positive of this. I will have to be the best man in the world to practice self control. It will serve me well in the future. God will help me with this, I am sure.

The reason we are not engaged? She is not ready for marriage yet, she is in her early 20's and I'm about four years older than her. She is not raised with the notion about early marriage and is a little bit scarred from an earlier relationship where she got her heart broken, I think. She says she wants to marry me and give birth to my children, but that she's not ready yet. Even my parish priest thinks that it's unwise at this moment to bring up marriage in the conversation too often. She needs her time and I'm ready to make that sacrifice for her.

Do you guys have any tips for making her understand rationally how chastity is morally right? She likes to get a personal connection to rational arguments. Like, someone explaining something and also adding personal experiences to the mix. I think it would help her a lot. Anyone of the books from chastity.com maybe? Did you read any of it?

Thank you again for all support!
First off, good job at taking another step at getting out of sin and asking Jesus for the help he is offering you.

Second, a marriage is made up of two individuals... no matter how much the cliche passes around about two becoming one, that is true in a spiritual way... and that can be holy or NOT... so you choose that. The real thing happening is your goal would be two individuals NOT TWO DEPENDENTS or one.. AIM HIGH AND YOU WILL GET CLOSER TO YOUR GOAL.
Anyway, You are still winning some of the battles you have been fighting. But live as if you have 5 days only to live in a battle against unfair evil. FIVE DAYS. and You by yourself face judgement. How will you love her as God loves her??? How is God trying to love her now, whether she is accepting His grace or not.

Personally, there IS a person in family who fits the girl... and she is close to me but so hurt and her boyfriend doesn't understand what she ACTUALLY NEEDS...space, time for healing, a proper role model (not the stuff she BELIEVES SHE HAS TO ASK FOR like sleeping together) !! It's sad because she doesn't have a friend that is a good role model !! If you take out all the oxytocin of your relationship and ask "Before I even knew her, What does she need for her most hurt wounds?" Well... what does she need? Put her needs before yours... and she might have your needs confused btw. You are obviously trying to find out the truth.. and stumbling for a way to make room for God's will in your life. Poor girl, I do hope she is receptive ever more than she has been for God's will!

AND ThIRD, for your need for sources to share, much gratitude!! http://www.womenmadenew.com/ Second video good selling points about her believing she's not good enough: http://youtu.be/BHL-ruz4ApM even goes into the way fear drives compared to meaning of life love driving... "Love as I have loved you." -Jesus

Okay, so guys are less intuitive than girls and need to be the ones to talk about what problems are going on, so ask her ... "I feel like a part of the problem.. how can I be a part of the solution?" You will see her bring forth her thoughts. Ask yourself whether it is from Jesus or the Evil one. Depending on which one, move forward to the truth. What is the truth?

Protect your heart !! You want her to protect hers too!! AND make sure that you do not give it to a girl until you are married!! This is the best for your family and for your marriage.
Also, girls manipulate a guy by saying no, yes, no, yes to sexual intimacy... Just say NO! Even to sleeping together. Sleep on the floor. Satan whines. Jesus is RIGHT, TRUE, ALL LOVING. FIRST clarify YOUR RELATIONSHIP with GOD. As you do, you will be clarifying hers... DON't RUSH and never go backwards. God bless and God willing Jesus will help you!!!

Last edited by Peanut7949; Jul 7, '12 at 8:34 am.
Old Jul 9, '12, 5:44 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williegarvin View Post
Does anyone of you have first hand experience of this? One part finding out on his/her own about the true meaning of chastity but the other part finding a hard time coping with it? If so, how did you make it through it and how did it end up for you? I really think she needs someone to speak to that has been or is in her position. Her best friend is atheist and she is about the only other person she can talk about this with. Her friend is never hostile to me, which I'm really grateful of, but I don't think she's supportive either in the way to help her see the morally right in my decision. I'm kind of sure too that she won't accept anyone to talk to that I find for her, she needs to want it herself. Any tips on this? Maybe a self-biography or something?
Suffice to say you need to be adamant about not having sex, not having fore-play, not doing any other sexual things (in the reasonable sense of sexual). Tiny concessions will help neither her nor you (and from experience I can tell you that an illusion of being able to save a relationship in this way is not worth it, that it's better to lose than relationship if such is the price to pay; I regret concessions made, I don't regret relationships lost for not conceding). If you doubt your judgement and think you might be too strict, consult with a wise, orthodox, non-lax priest (but not one with an aversion to women or marriage).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life