Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 23, '12, 6:42 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Un- fulfilling Confession?

Today, I went to a different parish than I normally attend. They have confession before mass, and my usual parish does not. I also thought it would be less embarrassing confessing to a priest I did not know. I was also nervous because it was only the second time I'd gone in years.

However, the priest seemed to be going through the motions, talking fast, etc. It wasn't just during confession, but during mass, too.

I know my sins have been absolved, but I still feel...like something was missing. I do feel better, but nothing like the first time I went after being away for a while, which was such a relief and I was on a high for a few hours afterwords.

Anyone else have this problem? If so... how'd you get around it?

EDIT: I'd like to add that other than a way to fix something I'd asked about and ensuring another thing wouldn't happen again, he didn't give me any specific penance.

Last edited by veggirl21; Jun 23, '12 at 7:02 pm.
Old Jun 23, '12, 7:33 pm

Default Re: Un- fulfilling Confession?

When I get that feeling, I think they Lord is calling me to trust in him further.

We know the sacraments are not dependent upon how we feel. You confessed in entirety; you were absolved.

TRUST in the Lord's design, and pray about this.
Old Jun 23, '12, 8:49 pm

Religion: Christian

We have a parish about 35 miles away who has a priest that is FAST, in talking, in walking and in most everything he does, even Mass and confession.
I went to him and thought I'd gone to a "speed" confession! But it's just the way Father is, he certainly means nothing horrible by it, and it is NOT a reflection on me and he is a very good priest. I bet the one you went to is the same way, they just seem to be wired to "fast" instead of medium.
And you know, some confessions bring that GREAT feeling afterwards, and sometimes it's just nice to have it over with and there's no super feeling afterward.
Old Jun 24, '12, 3:59 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK

Some people like me talk fast so no doubt some priests talk fast too. Might just be his pattern.

Perhaps you place too much emphasis on confession on what you want from it? So when you don't get it you unhappy. Expectations are greater than what actually is. Many a Catholic on here seem to think Confession is about gaining absolution and not worried about speed etc so long as they are absolved. You have got what you need and you question it further to people who can't answer your question or not properly anyway. The only person who can answer your question truelly is the priest himself. You never met him so you don't know if its just his style or not. Give him bit of forgiveness you have been given and accept it may just be his style. You have received the absolution which like I say seems to be the important thing here to Catholics. Un fulfilling means you probably just put too much emphasis on expectation compared to first time. If regular enough, you will learn to feel calm about it afterwards. Yeh the dentist feeling is always there before hand for me 25 years down the line. But calm afterwards and off course it depends on what sins one is confessing and how that priest has earned his trust with you. Hence you be better going to a priest that does know you a little and you will feel more fulfilled if that is what you also want from a confession. You know then he will guide you in confession to what is relevent for what he knows about you. Not just a general thing to be got through. Some are very good at hearing where we want the guidence and others will find that harder. But I suspect you will feel better about being fulfilled if you go to a priest in your parish and don't be embarrassed that he knows you. For me that is a big bonus though when there on a Sunday etc naturally nothing to say what he's heard from me and feel comfortable nothing will be given away at all. HOpe you find peace soon
Old Jun 24, '12, 5:25 am

. Sometimes, I do get that wonderful, clean feeling from confession and the temptation to repeat it. God gives us wonderful graces and sometimes works in our emotions. But of course we go to confession for absolution not the rest. This happens in my prayer time too. Sometimes at Adoration I KNOW Jesus is right there with me it is sweet and wonderful and the time speeds by. Then, the next week is is a chore to stay. Of course I stay because I go for Him
Old Jun 24, '12, 6:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggirl21 View Post
Today, I went to a different parish than I normally attend. They have confession before mass, and my usual parish does not. I also thought it would be less embarrassing confessing to a priest I did not know. I was also nervous because it was only the second time I'd gone in years.

However, the priest seemed to be going through the motions, talking fast, etc. It wasn't just during confession, but during mass, too.

I know my sins have been absolved, but I still feel...like something was missing. I do feel better, but nothing like the first time I went after being away for a while, which was such a relief and I was on a high for a few hours afterwords.

EDIT: I'd like to add that other than a way to fix something I'd asked about and ensuring another thing wouldn't happen again, he didn't give me any specific penance.
I would not refer to this as a "problem". The "problem" is expecting to feel a "high" when you go to confession, not the fact that you did not.
You confessed, you were absolved. That is all there is to it. This is a matter of faith, not feelings. You will probably find that most of your confessions are more or less routine. The style of the priest has nothing to do with it. Some people are fast, some are slow. Not all priests give out a specific penance, and if you wish, you may do one on your own.
Old Jun 24, '12, 11:24 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggirl21 View Post
Today, I went to a different parish than I normally attend. They have confession before mass, and my usual parish does not. I was also nervous because it was only the second time I'd gone in years.

However, the priest seemed to be going through the motions, talking fast, etc.

Two things. First, you won't always get the after-confession high, even if the priest does his part reverently. Consolations are a special grace of God, and at some points during our lives, he retracts them for a time.

Second, I would try to find a priest who I feel comfortable with.

God bless you, and welcome back to the sacrament!

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments