Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 4, '12, 3:55 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian
Default Source for Catholic Sheet Music?

Hey guys! I like to play hymns in the privacy of my home whenever I get the chance but the hymnals we have at our parish are BORING. I was wondering if there's any place where one could find more interesting arrangements of Catholic hymns?

I've searched my usual sources but they only have good old Protestant music which is fun but I'm already fully loaded on that end. There are some songs in the Mass, however, that I just LOVE and would love to be able to play at home without falling asleep (don't ask me titles. I'm just learning this stuff!).

So... any suggestions? Any chance of finding these hymns arranged for solo piano? Not a must but it would be a bonus!
Old Jul 4, '12, 4:08 pm

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW
Default Re: Source for Catholic Sheet Music?

It's really hard to answer your question if you don't have titles.

Are you referring to old hymns or some of the more modern songs?

As a general principle, I would say that arrangements that are for (or mimic) something other than your basic keyboard (organ or piano) will be more interesting. Keep in mind that anything from recent years is probably under copyright so you likely won't find it for free.
Old Jul 4, '12, 4:28 pm

Do you at least know the title of your hymnal so that we have some idea of what songs you might be familiar with?
Old Jul 4, '12, 9:47 pm
Forum Supporter

Actually I have some titles.

There's this lovely hymn called You Are Mine by David Haas. In the Breaking of the Bread by Bob Hurd. In Remembrance of Me by Cheri Keaggy... those are just a few to give an example of the type of hymns I enjoy at home.

I fully expect to have to pay and don't have a problem with that. The hymnal we use is called Today's Missal Music Issue. It seems like more a magazine type thing. Anyway, some of the hymns in it are great, some not so great.

Why is it so hard to find Catholic hymns arranged nicely? Haha.
Old Jul 5, '12, 11:52 am

Religion: Catholic

It sounds like you may like hymnals from OCP and GIA, two of the largest Catholic hymnal publishers out there. Most hymnals are a mixed bag of great and not-so-great hymns.

Hurd's music is generally published with OCP. Haas is with GIA. Not familiar with Keaggy.

I'd check your local second-hand bookstore. Many parishes had to dump old hymnals due to the new translation, and I've seen Catholic hymnals popping up.
(1 Thess 5:16)
Old Jul 6, '12, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybr38 View Post
Actually I have some titles.

There's this lovely hymn called You Are Mine by David Haas. In the Breaking of the Bread by Bob Hurd. In Remembrance of Me by Cheri Keaggy... those are just a few to give an example of the type of hymns I enjoy at home.

I fully expect to have to pay and don't have a problem with that. The hymnal we use is called Today's Missal Music Issue. It seems like more a magazine type thing. Anyway, some of the hymns in it are great, some not so great.

Why is it so hard to find Catholic hymns arranged nicely? Haha.
Ahhh! OK. You have been given information about the publishers that handle Bob Hurd's and David Haas' music. I was not familiar with Cheri Keaggy either. A quick trip to Wikipedia suggests she is a Christian composer/artist but probably not Catholic. She has a website so maybe you can get arrangements from there. The arrangements in the music issue accompaniment books (if you have those) tend to be pretty boring.

As for OCP and GIA....

I have a number of Bob's Hurd's tapes and CDs and I happen to know someone who helped him arrange some of the vocal and keyboard accompaniments. (This was before OCP even existed.) II also know that a lot of musicians prefer to play the chords from the guitar accompaniments of Bob Hurd's work because they find the keyboard arrangements boring. (And that includes the keyboard arrangers.)

This friend of mine also knows David Haas. And he tends to treat his music the same way. I know our parish has GIA's standard octavo of You Are Mine.

I would say that in general that David Haas does not write music that is best played on the organ. It is better suited for piano, guitar, and wind instruments. Bob Hurd's earlier compositions are the same way. His later ones are all over the place.

You might consider downloading mp3s of some of these songs from the publishers to get an idea of how they CAN sound.
Old Jul 6, '12, 1:15 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHW View Post
Ahhh! OK. You have been given information about the publishers that handle Bob Hurd's and David Haas' music. I was not familiar with Cheri Keaggy either. A quick trip to Wikipedia suggests she is a Christian composer/artist but probably not Catholic. She has a website so maybe you can get arrangements from there. The arrangements in the music issue accompaniment books (if you have those) tend to be pretty boring.

As for OCP and GIA....

I have a number of Bob's Hurd's tapes and CDs and I happen to know someone who helped him arrange some of the vocal and keyboard accompaniments. (This was before OCP even existed.) II also know that a lot of musicians prefer to play the chords from the guitar accompaniments of Bob Hurd's work because they find the keyboard arrangements boring. (And that includes the keyboard arrangers.)

This friend of mine also knows David Haas. And he tends to treat his music the same way. I know our parish has GIA's standard octavo of You Are Mine.

I would say that in general that David Haas does not write music that is best played on the organ. It is better suited for piano, guitar, and wind instruments. Bob Hurd's earlier compositions are the same way. His later ones are all over the place.

You might consider downloading mp3s of some of these songs from the publishers to get an idea of how they CAN sound.
Further reason why I should learn to chord. I never did learn that on piano... but as a gift this year my choir provided me with a book that teaches hopeless pianists to chord. Guess it's time to open it up.

I'm not convinced I could do anything anymore interesting then what they have in the parish books though. Blah.

Thanks though!

Cherri Keaggy MUST be Catholic. Youtube her song: In Remembrance of Me! It's the perfect communion song. So gorgeous.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence