Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 22, '12, 1:26 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Looking for Credible Update

I was recently challenged by my sister (who is not Catholic) to watch the documentary "Deliver us from Evil". I have been trying to find any credible sources to a) give a current update on whether or not the Pope knew about O'Grady (as the film alludes) and b) give a credible defense from a Catholic position.

I'm finding it very difficult to find either. The best so far for b) is a film review that at least gives background and balance to be aware of:

http://tjwoodlock.com/blog/deliver-us-from-evil-review/

My sister used to be Christian, but is now against all "organized religion" because she feels they manipulate the masses and are responsible for too many atrocities. If I can rebut the film she wants me to see (which I shudder to watch, quite honestly) then maybe we can at least start some positive discussions regarding the Church.

Thanks for your help
Old Jun 22, '12, 1:51 pm

Default Re: Looking for Credible Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namg View Post
I was recently challenged by my sister (who is not Catholic) to watch the documentary "Deliver us from Evil". I have been trying to find any credible sources to a) give a current update on whether or not the Pope knew about O'Grady (as the film alludes) and b) give a credible defense from a Catholic position.

I'm finding it very difficult to find either. The best so far for b) is a film review that at least gives background and balance to be aware of:

My sister used to be Christian, but is now against all "organized religion" because she feels they manipulate the masses and are responsible for too many atrocities. If I can rebut the film she wants me to see (which I shudder to watch, quite honestly) then maybe we can at least start some positive discussions regarding the Church.

Thanks for your help
I suggest you start with her assumptions concerning "organized religion", namely manipulation [I assume she has renounced her citizenship and membership in every organization (all organizations can be accused of manipulation)] and atrocities. From what it sounds like in your post, she is simiply taking a "bad example/action" to justify her already formed conclusion.
Old Jun 22, '12, 10:30 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namg View Post

Thanks for your help
I'm confused. What did the pope have to do with the O'Grady case? I thought O'Grady was from the Diocese of Stockton, California.

Anyway enjoy the documentary. I did a psychological analysis paper on O'Grady analyzing how he is totally incapable of taking responsibility for his crimes. Just as he was incapable of taking responsibility for having been molested as a child, now however the coping skill of detaching yourself from the evils done to you becomes for O'Grady a way of distancing himself from the molestations he committed himself. His written apology is the finest, purest masterpiece of denialism I have ever seen in my life.
Old Mar 1, '13, 2:28 pm

Religion: Catholic

check themediareport.com

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media