Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 1, '12, 5:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Explain please - ?? New response - I'm confused

Hello - I'm sorry if this has been addressed before, but I'm confused about one portion of the new changes to the Roman Missal in the USA.

When the Priest says "Peace Be With You" and the congregation responds "And With Your Spirit" - what does that actually mean really?? The response part I mean, not the Priest's words.

Before, the words were "And Also With You" - which I always assumed was just a nice polite response to the greeting by the Priest. But I'm not sure if that's correct now??
I know the new changes are a way to get back to the orginal Latin translation, so what does this mean??

I'm a new Catholic, so if someone would give me a layperson's translation, or some basic background - I'd appreciate it

Thank You much
~~Prairie Rose
He does not abandon us. Every Mass is a Second Coming, every Eucharist a revelation, every Communion an apocalypse. So it shall be until the skies roll back, the earth parts, and the living and the dead are summoned to judgment when the time of mercy has passed
Old Jul 1, '12, 5:16 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Explain please - ?? New response - I'm confused

You're right, it's a closer translation of the traditional Roman Missal response 'Et cum spiritu tuo'

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/fir...rit-explained/
Old Jul 1, '12, 6:02 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

In effect, the expression et cum spiritu tuo (and with your spirit”) is an acknowledgement by the congregation of the grace and presence of Christ who is present and operative in the spirit or soul of the celebrant. Christ’s Spirit is present in the priest in a unique way in virtue of his ordination.

http://blog.adw.org/2010/05/and-with...hat-you-think/

He has Risen!!! Amen
Ed
Old Jul 1, '12, 6:04 pm

Religion: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic.

I believe Jesus himself says to the apostles "peace be with you" in the gospel which is a greeting.
And the priest, acting inpersona-christi(in the person of Christ) says this to us, and we reply and with your spirit(the spirit of Jesus within the priest)
Old Jul 1, '12, 6:20 pm

I am so mindful of the specialness of the priesthood when I make that response at Mass. And, I pray that the priest continues to grow in the love and service of Our Lord.
Old Jul 1, '12, 6:50 pm

Thank You ALL for taking time to reply - your responses have been most helpful.

A non-Catholic guest at Mass this AM, asked me to explain, and I had to admit I didn't know. Now I can explain in better detail

My heartfelt gratitude!

~~Prairie Rose
He does not abandon us. Every Mass is a Second Coming, every Eucharist a revelation, every Communion an apocalypse. So it shall be until the skies roll back, the earth parts, and the living and the dead are summoned to judgment when the time of mercy has passed
Old Jul 1, '12, 6:54 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

The response has been adequately explained above but I would just like to be extremely pedantic and point out that a priest should never be saying "Peace be with you." This option of greeting is reserved to a bishop celebrant. So it is OK if your celebrant is ordained a bishop, but if a mere priest insists on saying this, it is a blatant abuse, and you should be cognizant of that.
Old Jul 1, '12, 7:35 pm

Our priest explained the changes to us as an attempt to be more aligned with original translation.

I still mess up, though. Probably everyone around me thinks I'm one of those "Christmas/Easter only" churchgoers.
Old Jul 1, '12, 8:29 pm

Religion: Catholic. God's a Texas fan: He made sunsets burnt orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizium23 View Post
The response has been adequately explained above but I would just like to be extremely pedantic and point out that a priest should never be saying "Peace be with you." This option of greeting is reserved to a bishop celebrant. So it is OK if your celebrant is ordained a bishop, but if a mere priest insists on saying this, it is a blatant abuse, and you should be cognizant of that.
I think she meant when the priest says "The peace of the Lord be with you always" after the Our Father and before the Agnus Dei.
Old Jul 1, '12, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizium23 View Post
Hmmm, I never knew that! Thanks for clarifying. Now that I think fully on it, I'm not sure if my Priest actuatly says those exact words "Peace be with you", but his phrasing is quite similar - what he says has more than just those 4 words. I'll have to listen more attentively next time. Hmmm.

Ok, here's a question for you - during Mass at the sign of peace (people shaking each others' hands), what is the proper greeting for parishioners to make to each other? I'm quite sure in my Parish that we for the most part say "Peace be with you" when we shake hands. Or more simply, just the word "Peace". Is this wrong also, and if so - what should we be saying instead??

Thanks for the info.....
~~PR
Old Jul 1, '12, 8:41 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Rose View Post
Hmmm, I never knew that! Thanks for clarifying. Now that I think fully on it, I'm not sure if my Priest actuatly says those exact words "Peace be with you", but his phrasing is quite similar - what he says has more than just those 4 words. I'll have to listen more attentively next time. Hmmm.

Ok, here's a question for you - during Mass at the sign of peace (people shaking each others' hands), what is the proper greeting for parishioners to make to each other? I'm quite sure in my Parish that we for the most part say "Peace be with you" when we shake hands. Or more simply, just the word "Peace". Is this wrong also, and if so - what should we be saying instead??

Thanks for the info.....
~~PR
He likely said "The peace of the Lord be with you always," which is indeed something that a priest can say. A bishop's greeting is "Peace be with you," a priest's is "The Lord be with you," but they both say "The peace of the Lord be with you always" at one point in the Mass.

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old Jul 1, '12, 8:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoG View Post
I think she meant when the priest says "The peace of the Lord be with you always" after the Our Father and before the Agnus Dei.
YESSS - that's the phrasing!! Thanks for helping me out I'm a newbie Catholic and I'm still learning!
Old Jul 1, '12, 8:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerapt78 View Post
Our priest explained the changes to us as an attempt to be more aligned with original translation.

I still mess up, though. Probably everyone around me thinks I'm one of those "Christmas/Easter only" churchgoers.
LOL - I attend regularly and I have to stop myself from responding, "Lord, I'm not worthy to receive you, etc.... I have to really concentrate on the new phrase ".....that you should enter under my roof.......etc." Otherwise, I've almost mastered all the other changes in response
Old Jul 2, '12, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Rose View Post

Thanks for the info.....
~~PR
I've noticed people saying "Peace be with you" but growing up, and my dad still says, "Peace of Christ".

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments