Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 26, '13, 10:15 am

Religion: Lutheran - LCMS
Default Re: Difference Between Baptist and Evangelical Churches?

I'm waiting for Jon to add evangelical catholics to the discussion.
Old Mar 26, '13, 10:36 am

Religion: Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanbradypop View Post
The term Evangelicalism is a wide-reaching definitional "canopy" that covers a diverse number of Protestant groups. The term originates in the Greek word evangelion, meaning "the good news," or, more commonly, the gospel.

Evangelism is the preaching of the Christian Gospel or the practice of relaying information about a particular set of beliefs to others with the object of conversion.

So Evangelicals seek to evangelize.
I know what "evangelism" means. "Evangelicalism" however is a movement that is not primarily about evangelism. Evangelicals, i.e. adherents of Evangelicalism, are Protestant Christians that form a distinct identity. They are not just any Christians that evangelize.

If you want to use "evangelical" in terms of "A Christian that evangelizes", then you are free to use that definition. However, Evangelicalism is a different thing, and it is ignorant to reduce Evangelicalism to "Christians who make it a point to evangelize."

Evangelical Protestants are not distinguished from other Protestants and Christians by their fervor to evangelize. They are distinguished by the belief in the necessity of conscious conversion, belief in the primacy of scripture, and a warm hearted, experiential piety, and revivalism.
. . . just as the lifting up of the hands is a symbol of confidence and longing, so in order to show our humility, we fall down on our knees. (John Calvin, Commentary on Acts 20:36)
Old Mar 26, '13, 2:47 pm

Religion: Conservative Anglican

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwin View Post
. . . .Also, I would say that given the fact that the SBC has undergone the conservative resurgence/fundamentalist takeover of 1960-1979, a fundamental change has occurred in the SBC so that today, I'm not sure if the old categories that Southern Baptists used to advocate still apply today.
Indeed, there has been a "conservative resurgence/fundamentalist takeover of 1960-1979" as you noted. I commented on this in several past threads.

Nov. 2012 CAF Thread: ? For past or present baptist osas Post #4
. . .How the SBC Has Changed by Dr. Rick McClatchy & Dr. Bruce Prescott:
The Patterson-Pressler coalition changed the role of the pastor in Baptist church life.
". . . .The Patterson-Pressler coalition insists that the pastor is the unquestioned ruler of the church. W. A. Criswell said, "Lay leadership of the church is unbiblical when it weakens the pastor's authority as ruler of the church . . . a laity-led church will be a weak church anywhere on God's earth. The pastor is ruler of the church." In 1988 the Southern Baptist Convention passed a resolution affirming that the pastor was the ruler of the church. . . ."

". . . . .The Patterson-Pressler coalition expects seminary professors to indoctrinate their students to a very narrow theological viewpoint. Adrian Rogers (the first SBC president elected by the Patterson- Pressler coalition) said, "If we say pickles have souls, they (seminary professors) better teach that pickles have souls." Seminary teachers who refused to comply were fired, sought employment elsewhere, or took early retirement. Their replacements are indoctrinators who have usurped the place of the Holy Spirit and now presume to make Southern Baptists accountable for living according to the interpretations and convictions of the Patterson-Pressler coalition. . ."
Copyright © 2001 MAINSTREAM BAPTIST NETWORK P.O. Box 6371 Norman, OK 73070-6371 (405) 329-2266. Last modified: February 19, 2001
. Link. . . .

April 2012 CAF Thread: What do Baptists believe? Post #171
The Southern Baptist Convention has taken a sharp conservative swing in the last few decades.

The Baptist Faith and Message was revised in 2000 (BFM2000), and the revision is not without concerns, as expressed by The Center for Baptist Studies, Mercer University, 1400 Coleman Avenue, Macon, GA:

"Some have built-in suspicions of BFM200 because it was crafted by the “party” who succeeded in a two-decade effort to take control of the SBC. One Baptist editor describes the implied scenario behind this distrust:

Twenty-one years ago a master plan for the repositioning of the SBC would have looked something like this. Elect SBC presidents sympathetic to fiercely conservative principles. Appoint like-minded trustees to govern SBC institutions. Hire to the staffs of convention agencies employees who buy into the SBC’s rightward shift. Create a new SBC infrastructure that reflects a more conservative direction. Rewrite the history of this era with the victor’s spin. Revise the SBC theological statement, the 1963 BFM, to codify the new, more fundamental, direction of the SBC. With the release of the report of the Committee on the BFM last week the final stage of this reimaging is set in motion (Religious Herald, May 25, 2000, p.8)." Link

See also: Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwin View Post
Also, I really get frustrated with religious groups that refuse to acknowledge that they are what they are. This whole "we're evangelical not evangelicals" to me smells of what Sigmund Freud called "the narcissism of minor differences."
Yet, we have the religious freedom to describe our beliefs and accept or reject labels. I call myself Anglo Catholic/Anglican Catholic. Yet, Catholics may argue that I am not Catholic.

Southern Baptists have the same rights when it comes to the Evangelical label, and their responses will vary. Some will say unequivocally they are "Evangelicals." Others will say, we are "evangelical, but not Evangelicals."

The variation in the way Baptists see themselves was clearly demonstrated on the christianforums.com Baptist thread "Are Southern Baptists Evangelicals:

In Post #7, BrookGF mentioned Foy Valentine, and quoted from The Future of Southern Baptists as Evangelicals: "In the pre-1979 Southern Baptist world, many Southern Baptists understood themselves as evangelical or evangelistic, but not as evangelicals."

In Post # 10, WinBySurrender expressed serious offense by my reference to Baptists being "evangelical to a degree," even though I was asking for clarification of the issue.

So, two Baptists on the same thread expressed sharp differences in how they see themselves when it comes to the Evangelical label.

Interesting discussion.

Anna
Old Mar 26, '13, 7:32 pm

Religion: Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Scott View Post
Yet, we have the religious freedom to describe our beliefs and accept or reject labels.
Correct. Southern Baptists can call themselves whatever they want.
. . . just as the lifting up of the hands is a symbol of confidence and longing, so in order to show our humility, we fall down on our knees. (John Calvin, Commentary on Acts 20:36)
Old Mar 27, '13, 7:02 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I was Evangelical Protestant for 47 years before converting to Catholicism. The churches I was associated with (or held membership in) were: Conference Baptist, Christian church, Assemblies of God, Southern Baptist, Christian and Missionary Alliance, and Evangelical Free Church in America. For brief periods, I was also involved with the United Brethren Church and with the Reformed Church in America. My daughter graduated from Calvin College, which I believe is Christian Reformed.

My mother's family was from the South, and they were all Baptists, but they were part of a Pentecostal Baptist church, which incorporated a lot of African American music. My dad grew up in the Reformed Church and the United Methodist Church (back before either of these was "modernized"). Up until his dying day, he did not believe in drinking alcohol, and actually boycotted his favorite restaurant (less than a year ago) because the restaurant acquired a liquor license. Boy, the Methodists sure have changed, haven't they?!

Anyway, I think a lot of Baptist churches, along with a lot of the non-denominational Protestant churches, do not "join" organizations like the NAE because they don't want to be part of anything bigger than themselves. They don't want to have to pay any dues or make financial donations, they don't want to attend conferences and meetings, they don't want to feel obligated to use the association's literature--they just don't want to have the extra distraction and work of yet another involvement in something outside of their own neighborhood and city.

One thing that many Evangelical Protestant churches are good at is focusing on a few ministries that they are particularly well-equipped for. E.g., if a church has a good music ministry, they go with it all the way, and do amazing things with their music.

There's a lot of good sense in this approach to "church." Sometimes, churches try to do and be everything to everyone, and it just doesn't work because the church doesn't have the resources (time, people, money, talent, experience, etc.) to do everything for everyone.

Also, a lot of churches stay away from involvements in big organizations outside of themselves becaues of fear of being associated with the scandals that often rock the big organizations. Just a few years ago, a high-ranking NAE leader was caught up in a homosexual scandal (he was soliciting male prostitutes), and there was a huge public scandal in the media. Even though a thinking person would not associate a little church in Podunk, USA with that man's scandal--well, a lot people aren't thinking people, and yes, they WILL associate the little Podunk church with the big, bad man who did naughty things.

I think this follows a general trend that has been growing in the U.S. for the last decade--a hesitation to make any kind of commitment. We see this across the boards in American culture. Many people don't get married, they just co-habit. People wait and wait to have children because they don't want to commit the time and money to raising a family. People don't join clubs or lodges anymore (many lodge are closed and shuttered up); we are even experiencing a reluctance by skating families to join the local figure skating clubs, even though this is the way the sport is administered in the U.S.A. (it's been this way for over a century). People don't even commit to a job anymore--there's a general feeling that we want to be free to quit our job and move around if we aren't "happy."
Old Mar 27, '13, 12:04 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic

Hmm...thats quite interesting...
One doesnt hear very often from people converting to the catholic church..
but well its nice, so in this case, feel welcome!

Why exactly have you converted?
Old Mar 28, '13, 11:20 am

I was a baptised Baptist, and was attending a
Pentecostal church when I converted to Cath-
olicism, I would say by crook, because I didn't
feel welcomed at that church at the time and
my wife was Catholic(She actually got baptised
in the Baptist church too!) and somehow I was
inclined to attend RCIA. Praise be the Lord!
Old Mar 28, '13, 12:45 pm
Observing Member

Allright, thats nice
I really hope that you feel the right way with your decision and wish you and your family a wonderful easter!

May god bless you !
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions