Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #16  
Old Jun 14, '12, 8:31 am
seekerz seekerz is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: February 6, 2007
Posts: 12,404
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfournier103 View Post
China has a LONG history of cruelty. American POWs were badly treated by the Chinese during the Korean War. Rumors abound that Americans captured in Korea AND Vietnam were taken to China and held there. Not one has ever come back. Either dead or alive. I won't go into details about what happened to these men, but it was not good. I believe these rumors, and this story only makes me think more definitively that there HAS to be some truth to them.

Every now and again a story leaks out about China and what goes on there. We Americans continue to buy JUNK from China; and our businesses continue to send jobs to China and manufacture goods with slave labor in a nation with one of the most evil governments ever to soil the earth. The U.S. government doesn't care, and apparently neither do the American public.

Why Congress refuses to cut off trade with these monsters is beyond me. Oh, wait... money. That's why.

The outrage will go away. We Americans are so caught up in our own lives, this story will get NO press, and even if it did, it would be forgotten in a few days.
Your arguments echo some old ones I've made here before. No takers then, now - maybe...
__________________
Quote:
If Christians had lived up to the Church's teaching about property and poverty there never would have been any occasion for the spurious communism of the Marixists and all the rest - whose communism starts out by denying other men the right to own property.

There is only one true doctrine about property rights, and that is taught by Catholic tradition. Those rights exist and cannot be denied, but they imply an obligation which, if it were put into practice without hypocrisy, self-deception and subterfuge, would mean that most Christians would be living with something like the communism of the first Apostles: "For neither was there any one needy among them..."
Thomas Merton in New Seeds of Contemplation
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Jun 14, '12, 8:32 am
rfournier103's Avatar
rfournier103 rfournier103 is online now
Regular Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: March 29, 2012
Posts: 1,677
Religion: Latin Catholic of the Roman Rite
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

I also won't look at the photo. Knowing the Chinese, I'm sure it's hideous. Evil, plain and simple.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Jun 14, '12, 8:38 am
rfournier103's Avatar
rfournier103 rfournier103 is online now
Regular Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: March 29, 2012
Posts: 1,677
Religion: Latin Catholic of the Roman Rite
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerz View Post
Your arguments echo some old ones I've made here before. No takers then, now - maybe...
I have always hated the Chinese government. I can't think of one positive thing they have given the world since the communist takeover in the 1940's.

In a sense, shame on the United States, the United Kingdom, Europe and the rest of the world for not exposing China for what they are, and shame on them for sending OUR jobs, and money to China. I'm 37 now, and I hope I live long enough to see China fall and the truth about everything to come out.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Jun 14, '12, 8:51 am
_Abyssinia _Abyssinia is offline
Senior Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: May 20, 2011
Posts: 15,590
Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

China: Angry Protests Follow Brutal Seven-Month Forced Abortion

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/06/14/c...orced-abortion
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Jun 14, '12, 8:51 am
Another Mary Another Mary is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 26, 2008
Posts: 441
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfournier103 View Post

Why Congress refuses to cut off trade with these monsters is beyond me. Oh, wait... money. That's why.
This reminds me of something that occurred to me years ago when I was shopping (coincidently) for a baby gift. It seemed to me that all the Chinese imports were so inexpensive. Children could have anything they could dream of and things they never knew they needed! Adults, too.

I started looking around at other imported items in our lives and I realized that in many areas we would never be going back to producing our own goods.

People are spoiled by the affordability of all those items that make us feel we are living the good life. Thus the silence on moral matters.
__________________
I'm a trooper in the
Church Militant
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Jun 14, '12, 11:22 am
rfournier103's Avatar
rfournier103 rfournier103 is online now
Regular Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: March 29, 2012
Posts: 1,677
Religion: Latin Catholic of the Roman Rite
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Mary View Post
This reminds me of something that occurred to me years ago when I was shopping (coincidently) for a baby gift. It seemed to me that all the Chinese imports were so inexpensive. Children could have anything they could dream of and things they never knew they needed! Adults, too.

I started looking around at other imported items in our lives and I realized that in many areas we would never be going back to producing our own goods.

People are spoiled by the affordability of all those items that make us feel we are living the good life. Thus the silence on moral matters.
Let's see what happens if for some reason there is an armed conflict with China in the future. It could happen. We will have to start making things for ourselves again.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Jun 14, '12, 1:53 pm
_Abyssinia _Abyssinia is offline
Senior Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: May 20, 2011
Posts: 15,590
Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

‘Obama, condemn forced abortion!’ challenges pro-life group amid China photo uproar

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/oba...china-photo-up
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Jun 14, '12, 2:42 pm
triumphguy's Avatar
triumphguy triumphguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 6, 2011
Posts: 8,196
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio337 View Post
Deterrent for what, trying to work around the "one child" policy? Not sure what you meant by that.

I'm not sure who or why the photo was taken, but it is heartbreaking.
To deter others from getting pregnant more than once.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Jun 14, '12, 4:51 pm
seekerz seekerz is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: February 6, 2007
Posts: 12,404
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
To deter others from getting pregnant more than once.
One would imagine that all Chinese would already be deterred, considering that forced abortion has been a policy for decades.

This is all really sad and disgusting but not at all new. We don't need a photo to acknowledge what has been a very longstanding policy.
__________________
Quote:
If Christians had lived up to the Church's teaching about property and poverty there never would have been any occasion for the spurious communism of the Marixists and all the rest - whose communism starts out by denying other men the right to own property.

There is only one true doctrine about property rights, and that is taught by Catholic tradition. Those rights exist and cannot be denied, but they imply an obligation which, if it were put into practice without hypocrisy, self-deception and subterfuge, would mean that most Christians would be living with something like the communism of the first Apostles: "For neither was there any one needy among them..."
Thomas Merton in New Seeds of Contemplation
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Jun 14, '12, 4:57 pm
triumphguy's Avatar
triumphguy triumphguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 6, 2011
Posts: 8,196
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerz View Post
One would imagine that all Chinese would already be deterred, considering that forced abortion has been a policy for decades.

This is all really sad and disgusting but not at all new. We don't need a photo to acknowledge what has been a very longstanding policy.
If all Chinese were deterred then logically this wouldn't have happened.

WE don't need the photo (we're Catholics) - but apparently the authorities saw fit to set the photo up and take it. In order to deter others.

Why are we arguing about the why's and wherefore's of the photo?

It's disgusting. It exists. It's real. What are we going to do about it?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Jun 14, '12, 5:17 pm
seekerz seekerz is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: February 6, 2007
Posts: 12,404
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
If all Chinese were deterred then logically this wouldn't have happened.

WE don't need the photo (we're Catholics) - but apparently the authorities saw fit to set the photo up and take it. In order to deter others.

Why are we arguing about the why's and wherefore's of the photo?

It's disgusting. It exists. It's real. What are we going to do about it?
I was simply making an observation.

What are we going to do? What we've always done with regard to this issue I presume - nothing at all.
__________________
Quote:
If Christians had lived up to the Church's teaching about property and poverty there never would have been any occasion for the spurious communism of the Marixists and all the rest - whose communism starts out by denying other men the right to own property.

There is only one true doctrine about property rights, and that is taught by Catholic tradition. Those rights exist and cannot be denied, but they imply an obligation which, if it were put into practice without hypocrisy, self-deception and subterfuge, would mean that most Christians would be living with something like the communism of the first Apostles: "For neither was there any one needy among them..."
Thomas Merton in New Seeds of Contemplation
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Jun 14, '12, 7:40 pm
vz71 vz71 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 3, 2004
Posts: 8,547
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerz View Post
I was simply making an observation.

What are we going to do? What we've always done with regard to this issue I presume - nothing at all.
Fight back with the best weapon ever devised.
Prayer.

Simple, humble, prayer.
__________________
duly deposited.

Z
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Jun 15, '12, 12:57 pm
catharina catharina is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: September 16, 2007
Posts: 12,860
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: China 'forced abortion photo' sparks outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfournier103 View Post
China has a LONG history of cruelty. American POWs were badly treated by the Chinese during the Korean War. Rumors abound that Americans captured in Korea AND Vietnam were taken to China and held there. Not one has ever come back. Either dead or alive. I won't go into details about what happened to these men, but it was not good. I believe these rumors, and this story only makes me think more definitively that there HAS to be some truth to them.

Every now and again a story leaks out about China and what goes on there. We Americans continue to buy JUNK from China; and our businesses continue to send jobs to China and manufacture goods with slave labor in a nation with one of the most evil governments ever to soil the earth. The U.S. government doesn't care, and apparently neither do the American public.

Why Congress refuses to cut off trade with these monsters is beyond me. Oh, wait... money. That's why.

The outrage will go away. We Americans are so caught up in our own lives, this story will get NO press, and even if it did, it would be forgotten in a few days.

Actually MORE press have addressed this.
Stoplighting an apoly from the "government."
Not an uncommon ploy when a horror is publicized,
esp by Chinese communists.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...s-outrage?bn=1


"BEIJING- China suspended three officials and apologized to a woman who was forced to undergo an abortion seven months into her pregnancy in a case that sparked an uproar after graphic photos of the mother and her dead baby were circulated online.

The moves appeared to be aimed at allaying public anger over a case that has triggered renewed criticism of China’s widely hated one-child limit. Designed to control the country’s exploding population, the policy has led to often violently imposed forced abortions and sterilizations as local authorities pursue birth quotas set by Beijing.

Feng Jianmei, 23, was beaten by officials and forced to abort the baby at seven months on June 2 because her family could not afford a 40,000 yuan ($6,300) fine for having a second child, Chinese media reported this week.

Photos of Feng lying on a hospital bed with the blood-covered baby, reportedly stillborn after a chemical injection killed it, were posted online and went viral, prompting a public outpouring of sympathy and outrage.

A commentary posted on the official website China.org.cn said the forced abortion “is society’s shame.” Another said the case exposed the lack of humanity in some administrative officials.

The government of Ankang city, where Feng lives in northwest China’s Shaanxi province, said a deputy mayor visited Feng and her husband in the hospital, apologized to them and said officials would be suspended amid an investigation. ..."

Source is a Canadian news site.

As for the American view - likely that many
have not noticed the abortion-news at all.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8048Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: georget
4829CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4295Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: James_OPL
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3813SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3377Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3184Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: libralion
3150Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2962For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: libralion
2701Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:02 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.