Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 3, '12, 9:42 am

Religion: Catholic
Default OMGosh! Teaching 2nd grade CCD!

I taught CCD (sorry, is it FFP now? Hey, I just stopped calling it "catechism" ) for the first time last year (4th graders) and LOVED it. Well, our director has had trouble finding people to teach 2nd grade so I told her I'd take it on next year.

Oh my stars, I don't even know what to do! I'm just so excited and honored and a little terrified that I'll totally mess something up!

My daughter made her 1st Communion last year so thankfully I kinda know how it goes (goodness knows I've long forgotten MY 1st Communion lol) and what we liked or didn't like.

I read some other threads here on the subject and just needed some encouragement and prayers and maybe any tips you might have.

Oy! Holy Spirit, do your thing!
Old Jul 3, '12, 10:49 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: OMGosh! Teaching 2nd grade CCD!

Congrats! That sounds like a great blessing. Thank you for being willing to take it on. I'm sure you'll do great!

The most important thing is to be an authentic witness who is obviously in love with Jesus. Textbooks and lesson plans -- while they can definitely make your job easier (or more difficult, as the case may be) -- are not nearly as important as you.

So make sure that you avail yourself of the sacraments (especially Eucharist and Reconciliation) as frequently as possible. I know that parish schedules and our own don't always mesh well, but I encourage catechists to go to Mass several times a week and to go to Confession twice a month, if at all possible. You cannot give what you don't have. If you want the kids to take these sacraments seriously and to encounter Christ through them, then you need to lead by example.

(Personally, I think too much is made of what it should or should not be called. Many places still call it CCD. Some use other names. I don't think I've ever heard FFP before. I just call it catechesis. Either way, I don't know that the kids care one way or the other.)

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction.

No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jul 3, '12, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
Textbooks and lesson plans -- while they can definitely make your job easier (or more difficult, as the case may be) -- are not nearly as important as you.
Thank you. I think that's just what I needed to hear!

I feel the exact same way-- that catechists need to practice what they preach! And kids pick up on whether you're really "into" what you're teaching or if you're faking it. I've learned that with my own kids (usually the hard way!)

Throughout the year last year, I noticed more and more of my 4th graders attending mass and waving excitedly at me from across the church. If they learned nothing of substance from my lessons, just seeing that they're excited to be in church is enough for me!

Though, of course, I'd prefer they learn something from the lessons too.

Edited to note: FFP stands for Formation of Faith Program or something like that.
Old Jul 3, '12, 11:34 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellatrixDei View Post
Thank you. I think that's just what I needed to hear!

I feel the exact same way-- that catechists need to practice what they preach! And kids pick up on whether you're really "into" what you're teaching or if you're faking it. I've learned that with my own kids (usually the hard way!)

Throughout the year last year, I noticed more and more of my 4th graders attending mass and waving excitedly at me from across the church. If they learned nothing of substance from my lessons, just seeing that they're excited to be in church is enough for me!

Though, of course, I'd prefer they learn something from the lessons too.

Edited to note: FFP stands for Formation of Faith Program or something like that.
That's great to see kids excited to be in Church, and excited to see you. You must be doing something right.

As Pope Paul VI so poignantly noted, "Modern man listens more willingly to witnesses than to teachers, and if he does listen to teachers, it is because they are witnesses."

Of course, I don't mean to imply that the content of the faith is an afterthought. We need to take seriously our responsibility to be formed in the faith and increase our own knowledge and understanding of the faith. It can also be a great benefit to attend workshops your diocese probably offers on content and methodology. But we don't need to be master theologians before we start catechizing. Most often, God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction.

No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jul 4, '12, 11:00 am

You can start reading the textbook now and working on lesson plans so that you'll hit the ground running when the first class begins.

This may be useful: http://www.amazon.com/Be-Amazing-Cat...1425194&sr=1-1
Old Jul 5, '12, 7:47 am

Congrats!!
Haha. I still call it CCD. I was an assistant catechist with kindergarten last year. Hopefully, I can register for the Equip for Ministry classes this fall. It looks like I will be assigned to 3rd grade this year.
Old Aug 10, '12, 9:43 am
Inactive Member

I just signed up to teach 2nd grade as well. I am nervous but excited. Any advice for a newbie? I do attend mass regularly and lector/usher on a regular basis as well as being active in our Retreat Community and with the Knights of Columbus. I didn't hesitate when I was asked..can't wait.

Wishing everyone a great weekend

Anthony
Old Aug 25, '12, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
(Personally, I think too much is made of what it should or should not be called. Many places still call it CCD. Some use other names. I don't think I've ever heard FFP before. I just call it catechesis. Either way, I don't know that the kids care one way or the other.)
My 7th grade CCD kids call it "that stuff my parents force me to do on Sunday afternoon."

My biggest challenge is getting the kids to engage. Last year (my first year teaching) I was astounded at how unfamiliar the kids were with their faith. This year I've decided to start with some basics. We're going to do a line by line meaning of the Lord's Prayer, so they'll know that this isn't just some ditty they're reciting. After we finish that I'm going to go over the Hail Mary with them. I think we'll also review the Gloria. I've noticed when I'm at mass and we're singing the Gloria, people often are completely distracted during it and act as if they don't realize that this is also prayer. So I want to emphasize that as well. So that covers the first several weeks. Then I'll start going through the textbook and picking what to cover next. We're given a lot of freedom as far as how we teach the material, as long as it is in line with Catholic teaching.
I was also thinking that this year, in each class, the kids will write a paragraph discussing the readings and their meanings so they'll know that the expectation for them to attend mass each week is serious. I think last year the kids skipped way more than they attended.
Old Aug 25, '12, 9:59 pm

Religion: Catholic, Easter 2011

I too am teaching a CCD class this year (we call it PSR)--28 kids signed up for a combined 7th/8th grade class. I am freaking out. Good thing there is a textbook and lesson plans to start with. It starts in 2 weeks, and there is so much to cover for the whole year!

Wish me luck and pray for me.
óJesus, Luke 17:21
Old Aug 26, '12, 12:06 pm

May be of use to newbies needing to make lesson plans:

http://platytera.blogspot.com/2009/1...aration-h.html

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters. 3 And God said, "Let there be a lesson plan."
Old Aug 26, '12, 12:21 pm

Default Teaching 2nd grade CCD!

I also have found a digital recorder to be an excellent self-improvement tool:

http://platytera.blogspot.com/2011/0...hist-tool.html
Old Aug 26, '12, 8:03 pm

Religion: Catholic, Easter 2011

Thanks for the links!
óJesus, Luke 17:21

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization