Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old May 15, '11, 3:54 pm
LotusCarsLtd LotusCarsLtd is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 25, 2008
Posts: 803
Religion: Catholic
Default Morality of patronizing a business re: gay "marriage"

A local record store I used to frequent had a poster in their store window a few months ago advertising a protest that was held outside our cathedral awhile back, the purpose of which was to criticize the Cardinal for his condemnation of gay "marriage" and state legislation relating to it.

Since it's a record store they post numerous ads and posters in their window for local bands, venues, businesses, and events. I would suspect that most people walk in, ask the manager if they can post the poster, and then walk out. I'm not certain who the owners are or if they are the ones who ultimately approve the requests to place the posters, so I am unsure if the posters necessarily reflect the views of the owners, managers, or employees.

I stopped shopping there because of the poster despite the fact that they are an otherwise good business who I otherwise like. Would you think it is acceptable to shop there regardless? I also tend to have issues with scrupulosity, so that's why I ask.

Pax!
__________________
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 15, '11, 4:03 pm
Fr Michael Grac's Avatar
Fr Michael Grac Fr Michael Grac is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 9, 2010
Posts: 128
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Morality of patronizing a business re: gay "marriage"

I think it would be worth making your objection known to the manager, and infroming him you wont be shopping there (at least while the poster is up). As for the morality of it, it is not sinful to shop there.
__________________
Fr Grace
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 15, '11, 4:09 pm
josephback's Avatar
josephback josephback is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 18, 2011
Posts: 1,156
Default Re: Morality of patronizing a business re: gay "marriage"

I sometimes have this question about a local business that sells pornography. Do I really want to enrich them by shopping there. I also regularly patronize a store that sells alcohol. Should I? Probably not. I guess no one's forcing you to shop at the store.

I also have this question of the world in general. What does it mean to, as the Scripture says, "keep oneself unspotted by the world"? What does that entail? Still figuring it out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 15, '11, 4:11 pm
Holly3278's Avatar
Holly3278 Holly3278 is offline
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 21, 2005
Posts: 19,956
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Re: Morality of patronizing a business re: gay "marriage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr Michael Grac View Post
I think it would be worth making your objection known to the manager, and infroming him you wont be shopping there (at least while the poster is up). As for the morality of it, it is not sinful to shop there.
I agree Fr. Grace.
__________________


"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX


Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 15, '11, 4:38 pm
Fr Michael Grac's Avatar
Fr Michael Grac Fr Michael Grac is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 9, 2010
Posts: 128
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Morality of patronizing a business re: gay "marriage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephback View Post
I sometimes have this question about a local business that sells pornography. Do I really want to enrich them by shopping there. I also regularly patronize a store that sells alcohol. Should I? Probably not. I guess no one's forcing you to shop at the store..
Again, you might make your objection known. If Christians in general did this, there would be far fewer stores which sell pornography. There is no moral problem with selling alcohol. However, I don't know about where you live, but every service station (gas station) over here sells objectionable magazines. It is unavoidable. If you know a place where, without undue inconvenience, you can buy what you need, which does not sell porn, then it would be great to support that shop. But I know of nothing that compels you to do this, in church law. If however the pornography is so in your face as to constitute "the near occasion of sin" or even its presence is a temptation, then you should shop elsewhere if at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephback View Post
I also have this question of the world in general. What does it mean to, as the Scripture says, "keep oneself unspotted by the world"? What does that entail? Still figuring it out.
It simply means that we should not to be involved in worldly / sinful activity. Our focus should be on serving God, we are "in the world, not of the world"
__________________
Fr Grace
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 15, '11, 5:16 pm
anthonyR's Avatar
anthonyR anthonyR is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: March 6, 2011
Posts: 28
Religion: catholic/born again
Default Re: Morality of patronizing a business re: gay "marriage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusCarsLtd View Post
A local record store I used to frequent had a poster in their store window a few months ago advertising a protest that was held outside our cathedral awhile back, the purpose of which was to criticize the Cardinal for his condemnation of gay "marriage" and state legislation relating to it.

Since it's a record store they post numerous ads and posters in their window for local bands, venues, businesses, and events. I would suspect that most people walk in, ask the manager if they can post the poster, and then walk out. I'm not certain who the owners are or if they are the ones who ultimately approve the requests to place the posters, so I am unsure if the posters necessarily reflect the views of the owners, managers, or employees.

I stopped shopping there because of the poster despite the fact that they are an otherwise good business who I otherwise like. Would you think it is acceptable to shop there regardless? I also tend to have issues with scrupulosity, so that's why I ask.

Pax!
O.K. Brother here's how I handle it.
I am walking down a footpath and I spy a big lump of cow dung sitting right there in the middle of the sidewalk. What do I do? just step aside and carry on. Like Apostle Paul said, we cannot takeourselves out of this world we got to adapt ourselves to it. Turn a blind eye to porn mags in stores, do your shopping and get out.
Hope this helps you.

SRT
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 15, '11, 6:18 pm
SummitJim's Avatar
SummitJim SummitJim is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 31, 2010
Posts: 122
Religion: Catholic
Unhappy Re: Morality of patronizing a business re: gay "marriage"

Unfortunately, I think SRT is right. Depends on where you live though. In the Bible Belt, speaking to the manager might have some effect but I live in a county (Marin County, California) with the lowest church attendence in the state, and I'm talking all churches, not just RC. Here speaking up gets you branded as strange, with no results. So just best to "step over it" and go on. C.S Lewis was right when he said we live in enemy territory.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 15, '11, 6:36 pm
TimothyH TimothyH is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: March 26, 2010
Posts: 9,068
Default Re: Morality of patronizing a business re: gay "marriage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitJim View Post
Unfortunately, I think SRT is right. Depends on where you live though. In the Bible Belt, speaking to the manager might have some effect but I live in a county (Marin County, California) with the lowest church attendence in the state, and I'm talking all churches, not just RC. Here speaking up gets you branded as strange, with no results. So just best to "step over it" and go on. C.S Lewis was right when he said we live in enemy territory.
So just give up? That's it? Ignore it and let Satan win because someone might think you are weird? Is this really what Christ taught us to do? Then what? Homosexuality becomes normalized and the next thing you know your son walks in and announces his impending civll union with his boyfriend. Wonderful!

There is a reason why Catholicism is flourishing here in cities like Atlanta, Birmingham, Greenville and Charlotte. The reason is that those in the Bible belt have traditionally stood up to things like this, saying "No, we do not want you promoting homosexuality in our neighborhoods and if you do, we will not shop at your store." The city of John's Creek in Fulton County, Georgia drove a porn store out of town on a rail and good for them.

Maybe no one attends Church in Marin County, Californian is because a few good Christians refuse to take a stand.


-Tim-
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 15, '11, 6:42 pm
valentino valentino is offline
Regular Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: January 31, 2011
Posts: 2,276
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Morality of patronizing a business re: gay "marriage"

If you can find another store that as comprable as this one shop there.If not why don't you ask the person in charge about the poster?Sometimes people just come in to a store a post without anyone's permission.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 16, '11, 11:53 pm
benidict benidict is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 2, 2009
Posts: 3,999
Religion: Skeptical Catholic/Politically Libertarian
Default Re: Morality of patronizing a business re: gay "marriage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusCarsLtd View Post
A local record store I used to frequent had a poster in their store window a few months ago advertising a protest that was held outside our cathedral awhile back, the purpose of which was to criticize the Cardinal for his condemnation of gay "marriage" and state legislation relating to it.

Since it's a record store they post numerous ads and posters in their window for local bands, venues, businesses, and events. I would suspect that most people walk in, ask the manager if they can post the poster, and then walk out. I'm not certain who the owners are or if they are the ones who ultimately approve the requests to place the posters, so I am unsure if the posters necessarily reflect the views of the owners, managers, or employees.

I stopped shopping there because of the poster despite the fact that they are an otherwise good business who I otherwise like. Would you think it is acceptable to shop there regardless? I also tend to have issues with scrupulosity, so that's why I ask.

Pax!
I agree with several others here. Let the manager know, you like his store, but this rubbed you the wrong way. He may in the future, not allow controversial movements like this to be advertised. Then again, maybe he does not care if he loses customers. If It were me. Id rather keep you as a repeat customer. Make sure you talk to a decision maker though. You may be surprised at the response you get. It may be positive.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 17, '11, 4:11 am
nodito nodito is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 15, 2007
Posts: 1,236
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Morality of patronizing a business re: gay "marriage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephback View Post
I also regularly patronize a store that sells alcohol. Should I? Probably not.
There's nothing wrong with buying or selling alcohol. Where would we be as Catholics without businesses or organizations to sell us wine for consecration?
__________________
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 17, '11, 8:40 am
Siochan Leat Siochan Leat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 1, 2011
Posts: 166
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Morality of patronizing a business re: gay "marriage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodito View Post
There's nothing wrong with buying or selling alcohol. Where would we be as Catholics without businesses or organizations to sell us wine for consecration?
Not to mention that there's nothing wrong with consuming alcohol provided it doesn't cause one to sin. If you know that one drink will lead to twenty, then you shouldn't consume alcohol. It doesn't mean that everyone else should avoid it as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8259Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: janiejnb
5022CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4346Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3835SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3572Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3233Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3207Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Chast Forever
3139Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3049For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Thomas Choe



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.