Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 26, '12, 8:22 am

Religion: Struggling Catholic
Default Sins and Silliness

Since I began reading CAF a few years ago, I am amazed at some of the things I read here. Some of the things I see and questions that are asked seem (to me) to be downright ridiculous. ("I farted while I was in line for Communion. Did I commit a mortal sin?" or "I brushed against a bra when I walked by the lingerie department at Wal-mart. Am I going to Hell?")

Folks, Faith should focus on the Big Picture and not trivialities and nuances. People believe in God and try to live lives consistent will God's teaching. But People sin; regrettably but it happens.

Don't drive yourself crazy over little things. If you are in doubt go to confession and make an effort not to do it anymore. Don't dwell on it. Make atonement an move on.

Sheesh!
Old Jun 26, '12, 8:25 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Sins and Silliness

Agree 100%.

It seems threads tend to one of two extremes 1) scrupulous over-reaction to trivialities that are clearly not sinful or 2) tortured justifications for why obviously sinful things (e.g. masturbation, homosexual sex) are not sinful.

God Bless
Old Jun 26, '12, 8:33 am
Forum Elder

Please be kind to those who suffer from a very real mental condition: scrupulosity. Those with scrupulosity who also have other manifestations of OCD need our prayers, not our criticism.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jun 26, '12, 8:39 am

I often appear quite silly when I sin, though my sins are quite often not silly.
(1 Thess 5:16)
Old Jun 26, '12, 8:47 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Please be kind to those who suffer from a very real mental condition: scrupulosity. Those with scrupulosity who also have other manifestations of OCD need our prayers, not our criticism.
If these people really do experience problems then they are most likely better off trusting their priest/spiritual director rather than spending time on here because whilst they may initially get support for their first answer here. It may well lead them to look up fears of others and adopt them into their own scrupuloisty. As of OCD if they are not careful.Obsessive Compulsive Dissorder. Scrupulosity sounds like it really could be a form of OCD. In which case people who experience such, the best advice would be to trust their priest and may be seek out spiritual direction to get that regular support because most people mean very well on here but it gets rather blurred at times
Old Jun 26, '12, 8:52 am

Religion: Struggling Catholic

Quote:
Then their concerns might be better addressed by their priest; not an Internet forum where they are going to get a bunch of different and possibly wrong answers.
Old Jun 26, '12, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Sheep View Post
Then their concerns might be better addressed by their priest; not an Internet forum where they are going to get a bunch of different and possibly wrong answers.
And possibly silly ones too.
(1 Thess 5:16)
Old Jun 26, '12, 9:07 am

Religion: Baptized

I have seen some great posts but as you stated some horrible ones from what I believe are jokesters and pranksters.

Do we not rebuke a prankster?
Or will I look like a troll for bluntly telling the truth.
Old Jun 26, '12, 9:31 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishredrose View Post
If these people really do experience problems then they are most likely better off trusting their priest/spiritual director rather than spending time on here because whilst they may initially get support for their first answer here. It may well lead them to look up fears of others and adopt them into their own scrupuloisty. As of OCD if they are not careful.Obsessive Compulsive Dissorder. Scrupulosity sounds like it really could be a form of OCD. In which case people who experience such, the best advice would be to trust their priest and may be seek out spiritual direction to get that regular support because most people mean very well on here but it gets rather blurred at times
Right on, and if it the scrupulosity is really crippling, they should consider seeing a doctor Their family doctor is a good first choice, and then possibly a referral to a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists are skilled in neuropsychiatric medication. Finding the one that works can take some time but can really help bring ones life back to center. NOTE: not all scrupulous people need this intervention, just some for whom OCD is crippling and expresses itself partially in excessive focus on sinfulness. I agree, these folks need our prayers, not criticism.

Also, they might want to talk to their priest about the thought of seeing a physician. He would probably have a pretty good notion of whether that was a good idea.

Julian of norwich

Last edited by Ohana; Jun 26, '12 at 9:33 am. Reason: additional thought
Old Jun 26, '12, 9:35 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Sheep View Post
well, yes, of course.

That isn't my point. My point is that we should not make fun of them, or post with derision. They post here due to the "C" in OCD. They are compulsive. They cannot stop themselves.

I typically encourage them to talk to a trusted priest and seek structured spiritual direction. Most of them are already doing so, but they cannot help themselves, they are tormented and post here anyway.

This is not something to be made light of. THAT was my point.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jun 26, '12, 12:50 pm

We must be patient with those who are striving to grow in prudence. Many people are coming from the perspective of having thought contraception and the like were trivial or irrelevant for all of their lives. Once they find out that what seems trivial is mortal, well, for some time after that they quite reasonably will not trust their sense of what is trivial or irrelevant.

If you once lived as I did, bludgeoning my conscience into oblivion, well, it takes a long time after that to have any idea whatsoever of what is prudent and right in a situation. Perfect prudence did not drop like manna into my lap when I finally got my act together. I got a whole bunch of clarity dropped in my lap, yes, but not a perfectly refined sense of prudence.

Likely, though, some questions are posed by trolls.
Old Jun 26, '12, 1:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
We should also be courtious of them by calling out some of the posters on here who FUEL said scrupulosity by claiming that yes, you're sinning and going to hell for turning your TV on.

Whatr I mean is, I see more a problem with the people who are asserting that "catholics should NEVER do ___" or "No good Catholic would do ___" when their examples are sinless.
Old Jun 26, '12, 3:54 pm

Many people are coming from the perspective of having thought contraception and the like were trivial or irrelevant for all of their lives. Once they find out that what seems trivial is mortal, well, for some time after that they quite reasonably will not trust their sense of what is trivial or irrelevant. If you once lived as I did, bludgeoning my conscience into oblivion, well, it takes a long time after that to have any idea whatsoever of what is prudent and right in a situation.

THIS!! In addition I had an arrogant "I'm saved" attitude, and when I came to the realization that I was very likely in a state of mortal sin, I went to Confession for the first time in 7 or 8 years and started reading voraciously about the Catholic faith I had neglected for so long. I began to read the sobering teachings of the Saints "Many souls go to Hell....few are saved...only 3 went to Purgatory and the rest went to Hell...." and so on!! Couple that with OCD and you've got major worry about sin!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology