Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 23, '12, 11:35 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)
Default OFS or SFO?

I saw this posted here, but can't seem to find it in a thread
I will re-ask here, if I may. First, the letter written by the SFO General Minister
(emphasis is mine):

Quote:
THE USE AND THE TRANSLATION OF THE NAME OF THE ORDER

1. The official name of the Order is Ordo Franciscanus Sæcularis.

2. Translations of the name of the Order

2.1. The translation of the name of the Order is already made in the four official languages, and these are the ones to be used in these languages, namely in Italian, in English, in Spanish and in French.

2.2. The name can be translated into local languages only when the literal translation from Latin is easily understandable even by the civil society and does not change its meaning or substance.

2.3. When the translation into the national language distorts the meaning of the name, or is linguistically impossible to transfer the genuine meaning, Ordo Franciscanus Sæcularis must always be used, which can be followed by expressions to clarify and make more understandable the nature of the Secular Franciscan Order to everyone in the local language.

3. The acronym
The acronym which refers to the name Ordo Franciscanus Sæcularis is OFS and is always to be used regardless of the language. For example, when Secular Franciscans use the acronym after their name, they must use “OFS”.

Encarnación del Pozo, OFS
General Minister
1. I like OFS much, much better than SFO (I tired of being asked why I signed stuff with San Francisco International Airport after my name )

2. Is this official (I mean, I know that it was written by the General Minister--I am asking if this instruction has been superceded)?

3. Is it in widespread use?

Thanks

(Again, all emphasis is mine)

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Jan 23, '12, 11:46 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, OFS
Default Re: OFS or SFO?

We were talking about this in this thread:
http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...=622567&page=2

Quote:
2. Is this official (I mean, I know that it was written by the General Minister--I am asking if this instruction has been superceded)?
From what I can tell it is official BUT things are still in a preliminary stage as far as implementation goes. You are (and always have been) free to use either SFO or OFS after your name if you are a member. It has only been primarily in the US that people have been using SFO.

Quote:
3. Is it in widespread use?
Not yet within the US. We asked regional whether we should be putting information about this in our local fraternity newsletter. Regional said that everything is correct about it just to give them a little time to come out with the official announcement/wording etc.

My theory is they want to come up with a way to do this that ruffles the least amount of feathers and answers all the questions that people may have. Like which should you use when writing an article about SFO and things like that. It is pretty clear that "Secular Franciscan Order" is the official English translation of the proper name, so in a document instead of saying the full name every single time should you say SFO or OFS. My bet is the guidance will be that you can use whatever you want in those situations. But in official documents like your signatures, bank accounts, etc. it should be OFS.

If you look at the English site for CIOFS you will find a hodgepodge of using both SFO and OFS.
where there is error, truth;
where there is doubt, faith ...
Old Jan 23, '12, 12:22 pm

The guideline we were given in my region is that we change our initials right away where we can, like on email and documents we sign, but that for the rest, it's okay to wait for the current letterhead to run out, etc. It will be a slow process, I'm sure.
Old Jan 23, '12, 12:51 pm

Thank you for your replies.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Jan 24, '12, 3:21 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
We were talking about this in this thread:
http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...=622567&page=2

From what I can tell it is official BUT things are still in a preliminary stage as far as implementation goes. You are (and always have been) free to use either SFO or OFS after your name if you are a member. It has only been primarily in the US that people have been using SFO.

Not yet within the US. We asked regional whether we should be putting information about this in our local fraternity newsletter. Regional said that everything is correct about it just to give them a little time to come out with the official announcement/wording etc.

My theory is they want to come up with a way to do this that ruffles the least amount of feathers and answers all the questions that people may have. Like which should you use when writing an article about SFO and things like that. It is pretty clear that "Secular Franciscan Order" is the official English translation of the proper name, so in a document instead of saying the full name every single time should you say SFO or OFS. My bet is the guidance will be that you can use whatever you want in those situations. But in official documents like your signatures, bank accounts, etc. it should be OFS.

If you look at the English site for CIOFS you will find a hodgepodge of using both SFO and OFS.
Marauder,
Probably we will continue to see a hodgepodge of SFO and OFS for a while yet. I'm not sure how big a thing this is. I kinda think it's not, as long as we simply change our initials to make communication easier, which I think is the point of the letter. This seems like just a way to ease communication and encourage unity to me, and that's good. Nothing to get all up in a knot about. JMHO.
Old Jan 25, '12, 6:07 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveangels View Post
Marauder,
Probably we will continue to see a hodgepodge of SFO and OFS for a while yet. I'm not sure how big a thing this is. I kinda think it's not, as long as we simply change our initials to make communication easier, which I think is the point of the letter. This seems like just a way to ease communication and encourage unity to me, and that's good. Nothing to get all up in a knot about. JMHO.
I agree that it isn't anything to get "up in knot about". I do have a feeling that a few within the Order will have issues with this. Inertia is a hard thing to overcome
Old Jan 25, '12, 9:30 am

Quote:
I agree that it isn't anything to get "up in knot about". I do have a feeling that a few within the Order will have issues with this. Inertia is a hard thing to overcome
Yup. They need to remember that we are called to obedience.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Jan 25, '12, 10:19 am

Quote:
Inertia and this is a just one more call to see ourselves as part of a world-wide order instead of a series of local groups, each with our own interests. Still, I don't think this should be anything to get in a knot about. It is what it is. And it's no big deal.
Old Jan 25, '12, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveangels View Post
Inertia and this is a just one more call to see ourselves as part of a world-wide order instead of a series of local groups, each with our own interests. Still, I don't think this should be anything to get in a knot about. It is what it is. And it's no big deal.
Excellent point!

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Feb 5, '13, 12:51 pm
Observing Member

I was simply professed as a member of the Third Order Secular in 1976. Am I now a member of the Secular Franciscan Order?

I am returned Catholic of five years who spent 20 years practicing Buddhism. Before that I was a Capuchin seminarian. I am interested in also returning to my Franciscan vocation, but I have been recently released from candidacy with the Capuchin s because of my age. I am interest in becoming active as a Tertiary.
Old Feb 5, '13, 1:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrockwood View Post
I was simply professed as a member of the Third Order Secular in 1976. Am I now a member of the Secular Franciscan Order?

I am returned Catholic of five years who spent 20 years practicing Buddhism. Before that I was a Capuchin seminarian. I am interested in also returning to my Franciscan vocation, but I have been recently released from candidacy with the Capuchin s because of my age. I am interest in becoming active as a Tertiary.
You need to get in contact with your closest fraternity. They and the region will take care of re-landing you in the OFS (not called Third Order anymore). I would imagine that you will need a letter of reference from your parish priest stating that you are a Catholic in good standing.

A caveat: the local fraternity is well within its rights to ask you to "re-do" formation and/or to accept you "on a trial basis".

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Feb 5, '13, 1:36 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrockwood View Post

Yes, the Third Order Secular is now called the Secular Franciscan Order.

If you formally left the Catholic faith, then the following article from the Constitution applies:

Quote:
The brother or sister who publicly rejects the faith, or defects from ecclesiastical communion, or upon whom an excommunication is imposed or declared, by the fact itself ceases to be a member of the Order. This does not mean, however, that the council of the fraternity should not discuss the matter with the person concerned or offer fraternal help. The council of a higher level, upon request of the council of the local fraternity, collects the proofs and officially declares that the person has ceased to be a member of the Order.
If you didn't publicly reject the faith, other articles of the Constitution may apply and whether your original group took any action on your departure would also apply. To see the Constitution go to the http://www.nafra-sfo.org site.

I personally know someone that was Third Order Secular before the name change, she stopped attending. About 5 years ago she decided to return. Based on not being able to find any records and the fact things had changed so much and she barely remembered things, she decided to go through the entire formation program again.

If I were you I would contact the local fraternity and speak to the minster and/or formation team. They will best be able to decide what your standing currently is, if you hadn't left the faith it could be as simple as sending a letter to the local fraternity minister. Since you left the faith, my guess is they may require more or they may discuss things with you and after discernment both you and them may decide you want to do certain phases of the formation program, etc.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations