Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 21, '12, 9:46 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Catechism

I am interested in purchasing a Catechism but am confused as I see there are various options out there. Which catechism do you use for yourself and for educating your children? Please include why. Also, what are the essential differences between the options available?

(I now attend an EF mass if that means anything in which catechism would be best for me)

Thank you,
Tom
Old Jun 21, '12, 10:03 am

Default Re: Catechism

For children I think that a reasonable one is the Baltimore Catechism, they have a different version for each group age (e.g. vol 0 to vol 4). For adolescents I would add the latest YouCat that came out last year. For adolescent and adults I would also consider as a must the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. For people that have a reasonable grasp of the teachings of the Church I would also suggest to buy the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The form of the Mass that you attend has nothing to do with the Catechism that you buy, the teachings of the Church are the same. The only time that you would find substantial differences in the explanations of the same teachings is when you look at the catechism books of the Eastern Catholic Churches.
Old Jun 21, '12, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
For children I think that a reasonable one is the Baltimore Catechism, they have a different version for each group age (e.g. vol 0 to vol 4). For adolescents I would add the latest YouCat that came out last year. For adolescent and adults I would also consider as a must the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. For people that have a reasonable grasp of the teachings of the Church I would also suggest to buy the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The form of the Mass that you attend has nothing to do with the Catechism that you buy, the teachings of the Church are the same. The only time that you would find substantial differences in the explanations of the same teachings is when you look at the catechism books of the Eastern Catholic Churches.
This.

Also, let me add the Roman Catechism to the list for adults who already have a decent grasp of the Catholic Faith and the history of Catholicism.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:06 pm

Religion: Irish Catholic

I second the Baltimore Catechism. There are four version for various age levels, so you can get the one that's right for your children, or get the whole set.

I also hear that the Youcat is good, but I think it's for High School age.
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:08 pm
Trial Membership

Talking Re: Catechism

I prefer the large green Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) for adults. It is a large thick book and can seem a daunting task to read it but you will find that the index is very helpful when you need information on a certain topic. The index in the large green CCC is more detailed than the topic index in the small white CCC.

Also, I suggest that a person take some time and study the Contents pages of the CCC. This will help you understand how the CCC is set up and make it easier to find specific information.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is a fantastic book! Take the time to study the Contents at the front of the book and check out the index at the back and you won't be overwelmed.
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:08 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
For children I think that a reasonable one is the Baltimore Catechism.
Man, not sure what that says about me since I am 34 and still sometimes reference a Baltimore Catechism
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:10 pm

Thank you, you've been very helpful.
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:47 pm

Religion: Irish Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder257 View Post
Man, not sure what that says about me since I am 34 and still sometimes reference a Baltimore Catechism
The ones for high school students and teachers are perennially valuable. I have beautiful illustrated one from Sarto House that always teaches me something new.
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:57 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakimaki View Post
I am interested in purchasing a Catechism but am confused as I see there are various options out there. Which catechism do you use for yourself and for educating your children? Please include why. Also, what are the essential differences between the options available?

(I now attend an EF mass if that means anything in which catechism would be best for me)

Thank you,
Tom
Might also want to look into Douay Catechism of 1649, http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/DouayCat.htm and the Catechism of Council of Trent, http://www.catholicapologetics.info/...ism/trentc.htm
Old Jun 21, '12, 2:13 pm

After a few days of being down finally Catechetics Online is up and running again. That site and the Nazareth Resource Library are very useful sources of information.
Old Jun 21, '12, 6:13 pm

Good thread for family forum.

CLOSED

Mary, Mother of Wisdom, be with us as we navigate through faith
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism