Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 20, '12, 6:56 am

Religion: Anglican
Default Re: Does Eastern Orthodoxy have a "Protestant Problem"?

I was greatly impressed with the beauty of a Russian Orthodox service. Didn't like standing for 90 minutes though. LOL Guess I'm lazy.
Old Jun 20, '12, 7:15 am
Banned

Religion: Olde fashioned Christian
Smile Re: Does Eastern Orthodoxy have a "Protestant Problem"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly View Post
I was greatly impressed with the beauty of a Russian Orthodox service. Didn't like standing for 90 minutes though. LOL Guess I'm lazy.
The Greeks have learned a certain fondness for pews, but it changes the experience.
Old Jun 20, '12, 9:20 am
Banned

Religion: Coptic Orthodox Christian

Quote:
It would be nice if they removed the nationality from the parish signs, and simply identified the liturgical tradition with non-national terms.
Hasn't really helped the Copts, though that's probably because "Copt" is a national identifier, one question removed.

Non-Copt: What is "Coptic Orthodox"?

Copt: "Coptic" means Egyptian...

Then people like me have to explain that we're not pretending to take on the Egyptian nationality...as if I'd even want it! (sorry, Egypt...it's not you; it's your Islamism.) Of course, then when you open mission parishes like St. Maurice and St. Verena in Canada, some people complain...no matter what you do, someone will always be unhappy.
Old Jun 20, '12, 10:01 am

Religion: Orthodox (ACROD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzheremi View Post
Of course, then when you open mission parishes like St. Maurice and St. Verena in Canada, some people complain...
What have my less-than-hospitable compatriots been saying?

Let us experience a Coptic Orthodox Gospel proclamation.

Pray for the world's persecuted Christians.
Old Jun 21, '12, 8:30 am

Religion: Orthodox

There is an attempt to have one American Orthodox church in the OCA, Orthodox church in America.

They were granted autocephally (sp) by Moso, cw back in the 70s, and now they are the only independent of foreign control church in America. But this has not been easy.

For one thing the heresy of phyletism keeps raising it's head, and some other jurisdictions do not recognise the autocepephally.

Their is the fact that some of the foriegn jursidictions need the money sent back.

And the attempt of the Patriarch of Constantinople (Istanbul) to be a kind of Orthodox pope, with all Orthodox under his omophorium .

Given the present state of Istanbul, under Turkish Moslem rule does not make that a practical solution.

It is a mess, esp given all the human jealousy and pride from our fallen state.

I honestly don't know the solution, but I pray.
Old Jun 21, '12, 10:24 am

Religion: Christian considering the Catholic Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor135 View Post
Surely a good idea: it would strike a blow against the widespread view of Eastern Orthodoxy as stereotypically bound up with ethnic loyalties--Greek, Russian, Ukrainian, Arab (Antiochian).
Honestly, as a black woman, that is one of the reasons why I stayed away from Eastern Orthodox churches on my spiritual christian quest: those churches seemed more cultural to me and I don't think I would have felt welcomed as an outsider.

The Catholic faith isn't like that. That's why I love it so!
Old Jun 21, '12, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylove View Post
Honestly, as a black woman, that is one of the reasons why I stayed away from Eastern Orthodox churches on my spiritual christian quest: those churches seemed more cultural to me and I don't think I would have felt welcomed as an outsider.

The Catholic faith isn't like that. That's why I love it so!
Not all Orthodox churches are that way. For example the Antiochian parish I belong to has only one arab family, and one copt. The rest including me are converted from Protestant faiths, some main-line and some fundamentist in back ground. Our priest was originally Episcopal, our deacon was Lutheran married to a baptist. There are also ex church of Christ members including myself origianlly.

Where you might have trouble is with some of the greeks, who do seem to be more interested in hellenism than religion. But that is only some greeks, not the majority.
Old Jun 21, '12, 11:30 am

Religion: Christian considering the Catholic Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstx View Post
Not all Orthodox churches are that way. For example the Antiochian parish I belong to has only one arab family, and one copt. The rest including me are converted from Protestant faiths, some main-line and some fundamentist in back ground. Our priest was originally Episcopal, our deacon was Lutheran married to a baptist. There are also ex church of Christ members including myself origianlly.

Where you might have trouble is with some of the greeks, who do seem to be more interested in hellenism than religion. But that is only some greeks, not the majority.
The one that is near my residence (there are only two in the city) is made up of mostly arabic speaking people.
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylove View Post
The one that is near my residence (there are only two in the city) is made up of mostly arabic speaking people.
Where I go to university, there's an Antiochian (i.e., Arab) Orthodox parish as well. But even there, as I've read, half the Divine Liturgy is in English--certainly more than at the Melkite Greek Catholic parish in the same city.

Old Jun 21, '12, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Where I go to university, there's an Antiochian (i.e., Arab) Orthodox parish as well. But even there, as I've read, half the Divine Liturgy is in English--certainly more than at the Melkite Greek Catholic parish in the same city.
That sounds a lot like the parish my father goes to. The Sunday liturgy is done completely in English, even though the parish is made up of mostly Arabic-speaking Lebanese emigrants.
But God, he says, is simple, and whatever attribute of Him you have reckoned as knowable is of His essence. But the absurdities involved in this sophism are innumerable. When all these high attributes have been enumerated, are they all names of one essence? St. Basil Letter 234
Old Jun 21, '12, 7:15 pm

Religion: Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarflemike View Post
I'm curious if there is any substantial encroachment of Protestantism in Eastern Orthodoxy areas. Any info appreciated.
My city is full of Slavic Baptist and Pentecostal Churches. There was major immigration of Ukrainian Baptists and Pentecostals during the 1990s, mostly sponsored by local churches. Their churches are huge, well funded and well attended. Some would qualify as mega-churches.
Old Jun 21, '12, 7:27 pm

Religion: Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic

Quote:

Interesting--I'd never heard of those Lutheran efforts before. To the best of my knowledge, though, most Indian Christians are indeed Catholic--Latin and Syro-Malabar.
I'm pretty sure there is a strong Anglican presence in India, due to it having been part of the British Empire.
Old Jun 21, '12, 8:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by babochka View Post
My city is full of Slavic Baptist and Pentecostal Churches. There was major immigration of Ukrainian Baptists and Pentecostals during the 1990s, mostly sponsored by local churches. Their churches are huge, well funded and well attended. Some would qualify as mega-churches.
Have you talked to any of the Slavs attending those churches and found out why they became Evangelical Protestant?

And I wonder if they have icons and use incense during worship?--They're both in the Bible, in some form or another!

Old Jun 21, '12, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by babochka View Post
I'm pretty sure there is a strong Anglican presence in India, due to it having been part of the British Empire.
I had always thought Indian Christians were almost all Latin/Eastern Catholic, Oriental Orthodox, or Pentecostal. But you're right: the Church of North India has one and a half million members, and the Church of South India has four million adherents (both communities being Anglican).

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions