Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 12, '12, 5:38 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (newbie)
Default Baptism question

I think I know the answer, but I am curious. I was baptized as a Protestant in the names of the Trinity, but my former congregation believed that baptism does not "do anything"; it is only water, a sign of obedience, not a regeneration. Does it matter in my case that they did not believe what the Catholic Church believes about baptism? Am I correct in thinking that I was still validly baptized since they used the Trinitarian formula?
“...one cannot arrive at Bethlehem by skipping over Jerusalem, or rather, without taking into account what the Scriptures say. The star–in the heavens and in one’s heart–confirms that the Messiah is born, but where and why are revealed by the prophets.”
Sr. Elena Bosetti, SJBP
Old Jun 12, '12, 5:43 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Baptism question

Yes, your baptism was valid.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jun 12, '12, 5:55 pm

Thank you, 1ke!
“...one cannot arrive at Bethlehem by skipping over Jerusalem, or rather, without taking into account what the Scriptures say. The star–in the heavens and in one’s heart–confirms that the Messiah is born, but where and why are revealed by the prophets.”
Sr. Elena Bosetti, SJBP
Old Jun 12, '12, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Yes, your baptism was valid.
I wouldn't say that. When baptizing someone there are three things required: matter, form, and intent. From what this person is saying, they didn't have the intent to baptize for what the Catholic Church requires necessary for intent.
Old Jun 12, '12, 6:29 pm

The problem with Mormon baptism isn't the lack of belief in original sin but in their conception of the Trinity.

Secretary, the Church would consider your baptism valid.
Old Jun 12, '12, 7:15 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
From what this person is saying, they didn't have the intent to baptize for what the Catholic Church requires necessary for intent.
Pope Leo XIII, Apostolicae Curae, #33:

The Church does not judge about the mind and intention, in so far as it is something by its nature internal; but in so far as it is manifested externally she is bound to judge concerning it. A person who has correctly and seriously used the requisite matter and form to effect and confer a sacrament is presumed for that very reason to have intended to do (intendisse) what the Church does. On this principle rests the doctrine that a Sacrament is truly conferred by the ministry of one who is a heretic or unbaptized, provided the Catholic rite be employed.
What the Church means by the intention of the minister to do what the Church does is that the person intends "to baptize".

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jun 12, '12, 7:42 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryMonday View Post
I think I know the answer, but I am curious. I was baptized as a Protestant in the names of the Trinity, but my former congregation believed that baptism does not "do anything"; it is only water, a sign of obedience, not a regeneration. Does it matter in my case that they did not believe what the Catholic Church believes about baptism? Am I correct in thinking that I was still validly baptized since they used the Trinitarian formula?
What is your former congregation?
Old Jun 12, '12, 9:49 pm

Religion: Holy Catholic Apostolic Church

Quote:
But do a Catholic Priest validate you? If not you should undergo validation process of your baptism. Well, since you have said that you have baptized in the trinitarian formula then that valid. Only needs validation from a Catholic Priest.
Old Jun 13, '12, 3:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
What is your former congregation?
Reformed/Baptist
Sr. Elena Bosetti, SJBP
Old Jun 13, '12, 10:08 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.

Quote:
Reformed/Baptist
Thank you. Just trying to narrow the possibilities down. It makes a difference, not only in the validity of your baptism, but also in what you must "unlearn" about Catholicism. Although, all flavors of Baptist have some degree of anti-Catholicism in them, the one-two punch of reformed and Baptist certainly sets that denomination firmly against "the big Church" It would certainly appear that your baptism is valid. My concern was that you might have been LDS, which uses a faux-Trinitarian formula that is definitely not valid. Sadly, many groups have twisted "Baptism now saves you" to mean almost everything except what it says. Many have made it into a mere symbol. As with Baptism, neither could our Lord could save us if He was only a symbol of God's love.
Old Jun 13, '12, 5:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
Although, all flavors of Baptist have some degree of anti-Catholicism in them, the one-two punch of reformed and Baptist certainly sets that denomination firmly against "the big Church"
Haha, yes! Though it was probably more Reformed than Baptist.

Quote:
It would certainly appear that your baptism is valid. My concern was that you might have been LDS, which uses a faux-Trinitarian formula that is definitely not valid. Sadly, many groups have twisted "Baptism now saves you" to mean almost everything except what it says. Many have made it into a mere symbol. As with Baptism, neither could our Lord could save us if He was only a symbol of God's love.
Thanks for your help!
Sr. Elena Bosetti, SJBP
Old Jun 16, '12, 8:09 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Your baptism is indeed valid.
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments