Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 20, '11, 10:26 am
Observing Member

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Were you a Christian or BORN AGAIN AND NOW A CATHOLIC??? If so please could you help me???

Last week i went to 3times to his church meeting and i ended up going to the front to be saved by giving my heart to the lord again and the man who i went up to prayed for me. and for a few moments i felt better and it wasnt that i had converted as i still see myself as catholic it was just that i got up there out of my own accord and confessed my sins almost. everyone was happy and so was my fiance who got a bit emotional. and then i just got this burden of dread come over me like i had done something wrong. i told this to him and he said its because before i was in the devils hands as i was a practising catholic but not perfect and now i have repented im fresh again. and this made sense but i just dont know. im still going to go to catholic church but these people keep filling my mind with doubt and im questioning between faiths and all i want to do is choose the right path! but i dont know what it is. I want it to be the catholic way because this is all ive ever known and what all my family have been before me. But they point things out in the bible for e.g "unless one is born-again he will not enter the kingdom of heaven" and im stuck questioning everything i have ever beleived in again and i am sick of it.

The thing is what are they possibly doing wrong? they arent doing anything wrong they literally do what it says in the bible no more or no less.
Catholics have converted to born-agains and bring up 'call no man father' and 'do not worship false idols' as they have been told to kiss statues feet and that is worshipping false idols and strange objects but i have never done this as this is wrong. Do you do this?

i need advice please
Old Aug 20, '11, 10:41 am

Religion: Catholic
Cool Re: Were you a Christian or BORN AGAIN AND NOW A CATHOLIC??? If so please could you help me???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrusso View Post
they have been told to kiss statues feet and that is worshipping false idols and strange objects but i have never done this as this is wrong.
No it's not, their showing their love to saints and God not the statue, some people kiss the photo of their dead relative. The kiss isn't meant for the picture, but for the relative.

God bless

David

Are you a proud Hispanic Catholic too? Come join the group!

http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1318
Old Aug 20, '11, 10:45 am

Default Re: Were you a Christian or BORN AGAIN AND NOW A CATHOLIC??? If so please could you help me???

rrusso,

You asked for some testimonies earlier so I will tell u my story. It might help or it might make things worse but here it is...

I was raised catholic but and went to catholic school but I went to a protestant college and had a conversion experience similar to what you just said happened to you. I gave my life over to Jesus. Then I proceeded to live the typical protestant life, studying the Bible and going to protestant churches with all that entailed. Since my catechism training was so poor as a catholic (even though I went to cath schools) it all seemed new to me and I learned a lot and grew closer to God. When my dad learned I'd bc protestant, he made me go talk to a priest and the priest sort of poo-poohed my experience.

Fast forward, as a young adult I joined a Baptist church and heard all the things you are hearing about how the catholic church was wrong. I bought it all as I was closer to Chirst than I'd ever been as a catholic. I even worked in a professional job at a non-denominational evangelical organization. I learned that non-denominational on paper wasn't the same as in life, it really was protestant not catholic.

While working there I realized something was missing or wrong, just didn't feel right to me. I ended up going to a catholic church and got involved in the catholic charismatic movement. I still did not know my catholic faith at all, but it helped me a lot to reconnect with the cath church and in a new way in the charismatic movement.

I met my hb there and we got married. But he was divorced and, given both of our very poor understanding of the cath church, we got married in a protestant church, not knowing what all it meant. After marriage, we continued going to the cath church, which was not a problem where we lived, as the church teachings were very watered down at that point in history. We baptized our kids catholic. We continued in cath church for a number of years but as the kids entered junior high, we started to fall away from the cath church.

Several years ago I realized suddenly my life was being lived for me and my family, not for God. So we made a commitment to an evangelical nondenominational church at that point. During those two years I grew increasingly uncomfortable with things I heard at the the church. They were much more open to catholicism than any other protestant church I'd ever been to (which was quite a few by this point). Every time previously it came to a point of joining a protestant church, I got to the final point and couldn't do it. I couldn't state that believing in Jesus was all it took...
Old Aug 20, '11, 10:53 am

... cont.

I would always back down at the point. So we had gone to different churches but never become registered members. At the evangelical church a few years ago, I remember at service one day that when we had the grape juice and oyster cracker, it just seemed so empty to me. I knew something was missing.

At the same time we were in a bible study from that church and I started to find myself defending the catholic belief that everything was not in the Bible. I found I wanted and needed a deeper meditative type prayer and at a deeper level, I found I believed that following Christ was more than reading the Bible. It almost seemed people were devoted to the Bible, not to God and I was disturbed by it.

So I went to a priest and sobbed out my whole life story. I wanted to come back to the catholic church but I knew now that my marriage would be a problem bc I had left the cath church to be married.

I have now been back to the cath church for 10 months. I had to re-teach myself everything I'd learned in the protestant faith. I had to look up all the issues they taught me (that you now are hearing about) that I found were really based on misconceptions, they did not understand the catholic faith.

Although my hb is also technically cath, his beliefs are at least half protestant. He never knew anything different as he never had any cath teaching at all. Even as two baptized caths, it causes probs for us as we do not have the same shared understanding (although he is open to the rosary, etc., he does not believe in the authority of the cath church).

There's no moral to the story, just it's my testimony which you asked for. Just the story of how confusing it can get if you go back and forth between religions. At least it was for me. Faith has always been important to me. When I got married outside cath church, my mom said to me, Be sure you know what you are doing. It (cath church) is important to you. I didn't listen and now I am paying for it. I doubt this helped at all, but here it is...

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk in private. God bless you.
Old Aug 25, '11, 2:32 am
Observing Member

thankyou so much AnneTeresa that was a very interesting testimony.

i still see myself as a catholic and i am still going to get married in a catholic church.

but what just gets me is why are there so many denominations? we should all come together.

Here is something which someone told me:

They told me that a born-again christian man went out preaching and he came across a catholic woman. She said to him, "no offence but i am not interested; i was born a catholic and i will die a catholic". And the man said i was once a catholic, please hear me out. He wrote down on some paper several references to the bible and said "look up this scripture, take it to a priest and ask him why do catholics go against or do not beleive in these". He said 'if he can answer you or prove me wrong i promise i will go BACK to being a catholic and admit my wrong doings'. He gave the woman his phone number and she went to the priest. He never got a call as a week later she was at a born-again meeting wanting to be saved

what could these bits of scripture be? the man is apparently going to send me a copy of these and a cd about them and i will post them on here for opinions.
Old Aug 26, '11, 7:23 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic

rrusso,

We'll look forward to seeing those verses. I guarantee you that there are no verses in the Bible, if read in context, that contradict the Catholic Church's teaching.

Now that you've been to one of your fiance's meetings, don't you think he should come to Mass with you?

peace and grace,

dfinn
Old Aug 26, '11, 8:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrusso View Post
thankyou so much AnneTeresa that was a very interesting testimony.

i still see myself as a catholic and i am still going to get married in a catholic church.

but what just gets me is why are there so many denominations? we should all come together.

Here is something which someone told me:

They told me that a born-again christian man went out preaching and he came across a catholic woman. She said to him, "no offence but i am not interested; i was born a catholic and i will die a catholic". And the man said i was once a catholic, please hear me out. He wrote down on some paper several references to the bible and said "look up this scripture, take it to a priest and ask him why do catholics go against or do not beleive in these". He said 'if he can answer you or prove me wrong i promise i will go BACK to being a catholic and admit my wrong doings'. He gave the woman his phone number and she went to the priest. He never got a call as a week later she was at a born-again meeting wanting to be saved

what could these bits of scripture be? the man is apparently going to send me a copy of these and a cd about them and i will post them on here for opinions.
rrusso,

This is just the sort of thing that will lead to confusion for you. Believe me, I know from my experience. If your fiance was fine with your beliefs as a catholic and wasn't trying to convert you, it would be ok. Are you sure he respects your beliefs and won't try to get you to change them to his? As a protestant, born-again christian, he may believe that you are not saved until you make that personal prayer to Jesus to save you. Are you ok with that?

I dated a serious born-again protestant when I was single and and I ended up believing all the things he and his church believed, even though there was a little nagging feeling inside about my catholicism.

Why are there so many denominations? I think mainly because different denominations disagreed with something that was in the catholic church and then broke off to start a new church. Then that new church had something they didn't agree with and another one broke off. Over and over. Now, instead of focusing on shared beliefs (Christ) they argue their own points and it keeps them separated from other denominations.

If you can both respect each others' beliefs and not try to change each other, it could work in a marriage. But there will still be issues.

For instance, I have a catholic friend who married a committed protestant. They respect each others' beliefs but he is now a leader at his church. It was fine to go to both churches before they had children. But when the children came it became harder as life became busier. How do you raise the children catholic when the father is a leader in a protestant church? Well, the mother eventually ended up going to mass alone and then going to the other church to support her husband as well. The children end up being mostly protestant and grew up to go to a protestant college, find spouses, and marry in a protestant church. It is hard for the mother who truly believes in the true presence and the sacraments of the catholic church.
Old Aug 27, '11, 3:19 pm

This website was made just for you.

http://www.davidmacd.com/catholic/bo..._catholics.htm
Old Aug 27, '11, 3:28 pm

[quote=AnneTeresa;8268369I There's no moral to the story, just it's my testimony which you asked for. Just the story of how confusing it can get if you go back and forth between religions. At least it was for me. Faith has always been important to me. When I got married outside cath church, my mom said to me, Be sure you know what you are doing. It (cath church) is important to you. I didn't listen and now I am paying for it. I doubt this helped at all, but here it is...

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk in private. God bless you.[/QUOTE]

Hi Anne, thank you! That was beautiful and too nice of a prayer not to be answered.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy