Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 10, '12, 2:01 pm

Religion: Catholic (revert)
Default Re: Star Wars and Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booter View Post
Not sure where Chewy 3PO and R2D2 would fit in though
Angels maybe??
Old Nov 10, '12, 3:40 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post

The Jedi are...

Umm. No, the Holy Father is not the emperor
"For what page or what utterance of the divinely inspired books of the Old and the New Testament is not a most exact rule of human life? Or, what book of the holy Catholic Fathers doth not loudly proclaim how we may go straight to our Creator?" -Holy Rule of Saint Benedict
Old Nov 10, '12, 6:04 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777rak View Post
Ha good one did not think of that one, but would it be not be:

"The Lord be with you" = "May the Force be with you"
The Force was an impersonal balance of good and evil that George Lucas borrowed from Taoism. That is the opposite of what we believe in, a personal God that loves. Jesus is not an impersonal force. This sounds cute but they are not equal at all. It is interesting to see some parallels in Star Wars with the Catholic faith but calling God an impersonal force of equal good and evil is not.
John 8:32
Old Nov 10, '12, 6:47 pm

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwar View Post
The Force was an impersonal balance of good and evil that George Lucas borrowed from Taoism. That is the opposite of what we believe in, a personal God that loves. Jesus is not an impersonal force. This sounds cute but they are not equal at all. It is interesting to see some parallels in Star Wars with the Catholic faith but calling God an impersonal force of equal good and evil is not.
True,. Dont get me wrong I know the Force is NOT the same thing as our faith what we believe in God

The only reason I brought this up is reading the Star Wars novels in my spare time, the story of what the Jedi in particular go through (their Jedi temple getting completely destroyed via a surprise attack by the Sith) seems to illustrate what the Catholic Church and their people/followers went/are/will going through
Old Nov 10, '12, 8:36 pm

Quote:
True,. Dont get me wrong I know the Force is NOT the same thing as our faith what we believe in God

The only reason I brought this up is reading the Star Wars novels in my spare time, the story of what the Jedi in particular go through (their Jedi temple getting completely destroyed via a surprise attack by the Sith) seems to illustrate what the Catholic Church and their people/followers went/are/will going through
Yes, there are a number of very interesting parallels. I think I read the George Lucas wrote the series because he felt that our culture needed legends that would inspire people and that he was quite facinated by the effects of stories and legends on a culture. There is alot of interesting themes in Star Wars; battle between good and evil, balance and abuse of power, the strength in having friendship and loyalty, the ability to beat the odds as an underdog. etc.
John 8:32
Old Nov 11, '12, 4:08 am

Quote:
Hello all.

I wanted to get everyone opinion. It appears that Star Wars has a Catholicism theme.

Jedi= Priests and Nuns (not in a fighting way but in terms of their wisdom, knowledge making themselves comited to the Jedi)

Yoda= Pope

Jedi Council= Vatican City

Jedi archives= Alban Butler's lives of the Saints

What do you guys think
I wouldn't equate Yoda with the Pope. Yoda's been around for, what, 700 years? I think that the Jedi Council serves as a sort of "set of Popes" in that they're replaced when one passes on. You could also say that they serve as a College of Cardinals in a sense, although it would be hard to say who the Pope would be (or if there was a Pope in that case).

Quote:
Likewise the Jedi knights were not suppose to marry either. interesting thought but I think George Lucas was looking at eastern religions for his themes and ideas. One theme which would not be Catholic was that the force was an impersonal balance of good and evil. this is more like Toaism which and ying and yang.
I remember Ki-Adi Mundi being the only Council member who was married. He reminds me of our Orthodox brothers.

Anyway, you could make an argument for the Prequel Trilogy as an analogy for the fall of Lucifer (with Anakin as Lucifer) although it falls apart when you get to Revenge when the Republic turns on the Jedi.
Old Nov 11, '12, 2:18 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I don't think Star Wars was inspired by Catholicism. Sure it has some vague similarities but nothing noteworthy.
Weight Lifter
Reenactor
Airsofter
Old Nov 12, '12, 10:56 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountrySteve View Post
Umm. No, the Holy Father is not the emperor
Of course he is. When he declared infallibility and stripped all other bishops (the Galactic Senate) of their powers. Very fitting.
Old Nov 14, '12, 7:42 pm

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
Of course he is. When he declared infallibility and stripped all other bishops (the Galactic Senate) of their powers. Very fitting.
Is this a joke whose subtlety just escapes me, or have you actually graduated without a trace of irony to this level of shameless polemics?

If the former: lol, carry on.

If the latter: Come on, get a grip. Even the council to which you refer declared, "This power of the Supreme Pontiff by no means detracts from that ordinary and immediate power of episcopal jurisdiction, by which bishops, who have succeeded to the place of the apostles by appointment of the Holy Spirit, tend and govern individually the particular flocks which have been assigned to them. On the contrary, this power of theirs is asserted, supported and defended by the Supreme and Universal Pastor; for St. Gregory the Great says: 'My honor is the honor of the whole Church. My honor is the steadfast strength of my brethren. Then do I receive true honor, when it is denied to none of those to whom honor is due'." (emphases mine)

Emperor Palpatine, by contrast, not only strips the Galactic Senate of their powers, but actually dissolves the Senate completely during Episode IV (the original). Can you picture the pope attempting to dissolve the College of Bishops and replacing it with a body of curial bureaucrats?

If you can, I actually won't be worrying about your salvation at all if you leave the Catholic Church, because whatever you'll be rejecting sure as heck won't be true Catholicism but rather the most bizarre parody of it I've ever heard of, one that deserves to be laughed at more than anything else.
Old Nov 15, '12, 7:52 am
Forum Elder

I think that one can find Catholic themes in Star Wars, just as one can find Catholic themes in many works of fiction. If a story reflects truth in any way, it usually has some type of Catholic theme.

But Star Wars definitely isn't Christian allegory. We cannot assign each character to a particular position. You can't even really do that with the Chronicles of Narnia which is Christian allegory.
Old Nov 15, '12, 9:24 am

Religion: PROUD Roman Catholic

Quote:
Likewise the Jedi knights were not suppose to marry either. interesting thought but I think George Lucas was looking at eastern religions for his themes and ideas. One theme which would not be Catholic was that the force was an impersonal balance of good and evil. this is more like Toaism which and ying and yang.
I can tell you that the iconic design of Darth Vader was based off of the armor of revered samurai daimyo Date Masamune. Google "Date Masamune Darth Vader" and you'll find a ton of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediliz View Post
Now if you're talking about the ARCHBISHOP of OMAHA that shares the same name: http://www.archomaha.org/admin-services/archbishop.html you probably would be right.
Before Archbishop George Lucas became Archbishop of Omaha he was the Bishop of my Diocese (Springfield, IL) and I can assure you that he has heard any and all Star Wars jokes.
Old Nov 15, '12, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Kamel View Post
I can tell you that the iconic design of Darth Vader was based off of the armor of revered samurai daimyo Date Masamune. Google "Date Masamune Darth Vader" and you'll find a ton of information.]
I know Lucas used the design of nazi German helmets for inspiration as well.
Old Nov 15, '12, 10:50 am

1) Jedi + Sith dress like Catholic monks, everyone should dress like hooded monks

2) Prophesied Virgin birth of Christ, Prophesied Virgin Birth of Anakin, messiah figure

3) Priest vow of celibacy, Jedi are celibate.....for some reason

4) Seminaries, Jedi Academy

5) Holy Spirit = The Force, Dark Side = Selfish Human will of freedom/Satanism

6) Imperial official considered Darth Vader's sad devotion to that ancient religion, an outdated religion (ie. atheism)....until Vader choked him, Catholicism considered an outdated religion by the modern world, miracles not really believed in, despite never being satisfactorily refuted

7) Some female Jedi look like nuns, left is Daughter of Charity nun, right is a Virgin Mary cosplay

8) Medieval Knights, Jedi Knights, ancient weapons (Sword), replaced by modern age weapons (guns)

9) Jesus had twelve disciples, Twelve members in the Jedi Council, Judas was the betrayer, Anakin/Darth Vader was the betrayer

10) Supression of religion began a tyrannical regime (Communism), Suppresion of religious Jedi Order began a tyrannical regime (The Empire)

Not saying Star Wars is a Catholic movie though. It borrows stuff, but isn't really aware of the significance of the Catholic ideas it's borrowing.
Old Nov 15, '12, 12:49 pm

Religion: PROUD Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic catholic View Post
I know Lucas used the design of nazi German helmets for inspiration as well.
IIRC he was tossing around that idea for the Stormtrooper design.

Third Reich... Galatic Empire... same difference

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media