Catholic FAQ


We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #16  
Old Jun 10, '12, 12:57 am
TimothyH TimothyH is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: March 26, 2010
Posts: 9,106
Default Re: What was the point of the Transfiguration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
You hit one right out of the ballpark here Tim.
Well, thanks for saying so, but no. I just paid attention in Bible study, that's all.

My skill is actually the ability to take large volumes of highly complex material and condense it down to a short, easily understood concepts. I'm actually a pretty good teacher in the computer industry because of it. Nobody can make the simple more complex than Microsoft and I used to make a good living teaching their products to IT people.

I'm glad I could pay attention and pass on a nugget. All the glory goes to God. He wrote the stuff.

Again, the studies by Jeff Cavins will make anyone look like genius.


-Tim-
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Jun 10, '12, 1:02 am
ConstantineTG ConstantineTG is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 5, 2010
Posts: 17,409
Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦
Default Re: What was the point of the Transfiguration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Well, thanks for saying so, but no. I just paid attention in Bible study, that's all.

My skill is actually the ability to take large volumes of highly complex material and condense it down to a short, easily understood concepts. I'm actually a pretty good teacher in the computer industry because of it. Nobody can make the simple more complex than Microsoft and I used to make a good living teaching their products to IT people.

I'm glad I could pay attention and pass on a nugget. All the glory goes to God. He wrote the stuff.

Again, the studies by Jeff Cavins will make anyone look like genius.


-Tim-
We are all students. All wisdom comes from God, we just pass it along
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Jun 11, '12, 3:20 pm
Needtostop Needtostop is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 3, 2012
Posts: 193
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Needtostop
Default Re: What was the point of the Transfiguration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
This is the kind of information I picked up in the Bible studies from Jeff Cavins.

The Bible Timeline is excellent as an overview of the entire Bible and their study of the Gospel of Matthew titled "The King and His Kingdom" is where I picket that up.

Many parishes are using the studies from Jeff Cavins. Our parish bought a few sets of DVDs and the company works with our parish to help us stock the study guides which we pay for ourselves. We then meet in homes, at the church or even the local library to go through the studies in small groups.

You won't regret bringing these studies to your parish.


-Tim-

I actually did that whole series in 8th grade CCD. So maybe I had learned it and I forgot about it. It was a couple years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Jun 11, '12, 3:24 pm
Needtostop Needtostop is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 3, 2012
Posts: 193
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Needtostop
Default Re: What was the point of the Transfiguration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
This is the kind of information I picked up in the Bible studies from Jeff Cavins.

The Bible Timeline is excellent as an overview of the entire Bible and their study of the Gospel of Matthew titled "The King and His Kingdom" is where I picket that up.

Many parishes are using the studies from Jeff Cavins. Our parish bought a few sets of DVDs and the company works with our parish to help us stock the study guides which we pay for ourselves. We then meet in homes, at the church or even the local library to go through the studies in small groups.

You won't regret bringing these studies to your parish.


-Tim-
I was actually just listening to Jeff Cavins on the Radio last night and he was talking about how Jesus ended the exodus. Now that you reminded me of it with your post, I have something meditate on about. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Jun 12, '12, 2:55 pm
feed me feed me is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 9, 2012
Posts: 395
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What was the point of the Transfiguration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy View Post
This event is a parallel to the theophany with Moses on Horeb/Sinai, when the glory of the Lord past by Moses as he hid in the cleft of the rock.
And you forgot to mention Revelations 1:9-16 where the Lord is sitted on a thrown in glory with eyes of fire, hair as white as snow exe. Just thought I add that in.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Jun 12, '12, 3:19 pm
Needtostop Needtostop is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 3, 2012
Posts: 193
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Needtostop
Default Re: What was the point of the Transfiguration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feed me View Post
And you forgot to mention Revelations 1:9-16 where the Lord is sitted on a thrown in glory with eyes of fire, hair as white as snow exe. Just thought I add that in.
Eyes of fire? What does that mean?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Jun 12, '12, 4:29 pm
feed me feed me is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 9, 2012
Posts: 395
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What was the point of the Transfiguration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needtostop View Post
Eyes of fire? What does that mean?
Read the passage and see for yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Jun 12, '12, 5:54 pm
Needtostop Needtostop is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 3, 2012
Posts: 193
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Needtostop
Default Re: What was the point of the Transfiguration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feed me View Post
Read the passage and see for yourself.
I did, but it doesn't make sense to me.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Jun 12, '12, 7:05 pm
feed me feed me is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 9, 2012
Posts: 395
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What was the point of the Transfiguration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needtostop View Post
I did, but it doesn't make sense to me.
The part of the passage from Rev 1: 9-16 decribes the glory of the Lord, of what God looks like, the same way when he transfigured in Matthew, and on Mount Sinai when Moses hid.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Jun 13, '12, 12:50 pm
Needtostop Needtostop is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 3, 2012
Posts: 193
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Needtostop
Default Re: What was the point of the Transfiguration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feed me View Post
The part of the passage from Rev 1: 9-16 decribes the glory of the Lord, of what God looks like, the same way when he transfigured in Matthew, and on Mount Sinai when Moses hid.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8296Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Paula Hurworth
5059CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4348Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: Marla Frances
4033OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3848SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3598Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3256Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3210Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3179Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3062For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Kellyreneeomara



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:08 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.