Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 25, '13, 3:58 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Cath♥lic
Default angels and bad habits

Can your guardian angel help you overcome bad habits, and fight temptations?

Old Apr 25, '13, 4:02 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: angels and bad habits

Yes, he is at your side to assist you and to protect you. Pray to him for help, and avoid occasions of sin like the plague.
Old Apr 25, '13, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantconvert View Post
That is their job description.

I think most people have a problem staying pefectly attentive at Mass. I managed to zone out right at the consecration. Every. Time. I would zone back in just as it was over. So I asked my gaurdian angel to help me be recollected during that time. It worked. Even if I was daydreaming I would come to as the first words of institution were spoken. I would even startle a bit sometimes.
Old Apr 25, '13, 5:12 pm

One day I asked him to just make me think of him hitting me with a broom whenever I reduced a woman to a sex object. A few days later, I did that in a dream, and I swear it looked like a cartoon, but there was a cartoon angel hitting me with a broom.

It's probably just the unconscious picking up on the prayer and processing it somehow, but I always think of him now when I do struggle with chastity.
Old Apr 25, '13, 6:12 pm

I wish I knew my guardian angel's name... it'd just nice to be able to address him more personally.
Old Apr 25, '13, 6:22 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rete View Post
One day I asked him to just make me think of him hitting me with a broom whenever I reduced a woman to a sex object. A few days later, I did that in a dream, and I swear it looked like a cartoon, but there was a cartoon angel hitting me with a broom.

It's probably just the unconscious picking up on the prayer and processing it somehow, but I always think of him now when I do struggle with chastity.
I laughed when I read this!!

Our angels are spiritual beings with will and personality! I love how yours came through for you!
Old Apr 25, '13, 6:27 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFox0456 View Post
I wish I knew my guardian angel's name... it'd just nice to be able to address him more personally.
Some will say it is dangerous to name your angel, because they believe you could accidentally build a relationship with an angel of darkness posing as an angel of light. However, I would argue that an angel of darkness (a demon) is unable to do anything for the glorification of Christ. I address my angel by name. I've always felt it deserved more than a "hey, you!" Whenever I communicate with my angel, I begin and end the conversation with praising Christ.
Old Apr 25, '13, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantconvert View Post
Yes. And perhaps your Angel has prompted our Angels to prompt our souls to write to you.

Anyway, a habit is something you use as a result of a decision you make and you will to use that habit for accomplishing activities.
You have been given some good habits, virtues, by God when you were baptized. Intellectual Virtues, Moral Virtues, Theological Virtues.
Temperance is one of them. How do you use it? Simply by deciding to. For instance, if you seem to have a habit of overeating (like me), using the habit of temperance does not mean I have to try and fight the habit of overeating, try to say no all the time. Instead it means I look at myself, my life, and I realize that my goal, my end, for life is to be united with God eternally. So all the actions of my body are not for keeping my taste buds and stomach happy, but to aid my soul in joining to my God. I decided, then, with this thinking, that I was going to make use of the habit of temperance. I (my reason, my will) was going to decide before each meal how much to give my body to keep it healthy. I was not going to listen to my appetite any more to give me the portion sizes it required.

This is all I did, came to that conclusion. Now, with that decision to use the habit of temperance, it (that habit) has free reign in me to operate as a habit. So when I pack my lunch in the morning, it is like second nature, from the first day, to look over the refrigerator and say, "My body will do well in carrying my soul with one sandwich, a container of fruit, 3 bananas, a bag of baby carrots, one brownie". Whereas I used to pack it up under the overeating habit of my appetite with what appeared would keep me full all day.
  • Habits are like second nature and take no thinking, to help you reach a goal you have chosen to reach (either temporal satisfaction / good, or eternal good)
  • If you have a habit, sometime in the past you decided you would use it
  • You can decide by your reason and will to use a habit
  • You have been given "superhuman habits" (the virtues) by God
  • What is your goal, where are you going in life? Which habits are you choosing to use?
Well, I hope this makes sense, and I ask my Angel to prompt yours to continue encouraging and helping you.

John Martin
Old Apr 25, '13, 10:13 pm

You are not supposed to know your angel's name until after die. I just call mine Angel. I got into the habit of talking to him occasionally since I feel bad he has to follow my life around.

That said.. I might be wrong about this, but I really don't think angels have a language in the sense that we have languages. They don't have bodies; no lungs, vocal boxes, etc. Furthermore, I think they simply communicate directly via intellect. We need words to put our thoughts into symbols and grammatical structures. Then the other person processes those statements to reconstruct the thoughts in their brain. But an angel would just direct his will towards another angel and simply project the thoughts directly.

Again, I might be wrong about that. It's just a suspicion. In any case, a person ought not to seek information that is not meant for them at this time. I think it is okay for me to call him Angel and be respectful and affectionate. I really like angels a lot and would hope I can have at least one angelic friend for eternity.
Old Apr 25, '13, 11:48 pm

If you want help getting rid of your bad habits. I would suggest taking the advice in this link.

http://rcspiritualdirection.com/blog...ment-874878398

My guardian angel has always been there for me when I get discouraged over my sins, confused or scared. She helps me realize what I have been doing wrong and reminds of God's love. Develop a relationship with your guardian angel. God gave them to us to be our companions and friends.
Old Apr 26, '13, 12:22 am

I just said I wished I knew - not that I should know. He has just done so much for me is all. Someday I'll get to have a good talk with him. It'll be quite nice.
Old Apr 26, '13, 7:39 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia23 View Post
Some will say it is dangerous to name your angel, because they believe you could accidentally build a relationship with an angel of darkness posing as an angel of light. However, I would argue that an angel of darkness (a demon) is unable to do anything for the glorification of Christ. I address my angel by name. I've always felt it deserved more than a "hey, you!" Whenever I communicate with my angel, I begin and end the conversation with praising Christ.
Mother Angelica named her Angel. She called him Fidelis, because he had been faithful to her for her whole life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
Yes. And perhaps your Angel has prompted our Angels to prompt our souls to write to you.
Overeating is that habit I was thinking of. Thank you!

Old Apr 26, '13, 7:41 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarytheDefender View Post
If you want help getting rid of your bad habits. I would suggest taking the advice in this link.

http://rcspiritualdirection.com/blog...ment-874878398

My guardian angel has always been there for me when I get discouraged over my sins, confused or scared. She helps me realize what I have been doing wrong and reminds of God's love. Develop a relationship with your guardian angel. God gave them to us to be our companions and friends.
Thanks for the link!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality