Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 18, '11, 2:57 am

Religion: Catholic
Default A testimony of St. Philomena's intercession for our family

Bushfires encircle Sydney
About ten years ago, my husband was working as a scientist at the Lucas Heights Research Laboratories, in Sydney Australia. By late November, bushfires had encircled Sydney and its suburbs. They were coming towards us from just about every direction. It was a very worrying time for Sydneysiders. Sydney’s sky turned a very eerie colour, due to the fact that the smoke haze from the bushfires was blocking out the sunlight.

Towards midnight on December the first, I went to my laundry and turned on the light. To my amazement, there was a reflection in the laundry window of a statue of Saint Philomena, which our family had donated to a church, which is located many miles from our home. It was a very distinct reflection and in full colour! The statue was definitely in the church at the time and not in my house.

I could not help wondering what this was about. The next day at about 2 p.m. my husband telephoned me from his work place. There was some very bad news. The Lucas heights Research Laboratories which is located in a bushland setting was completely ringed by fire. None of the many people who worked there were able to leave and go home. They were trapped. I was very worried and wondered how my husband and the other workers there would fare in this terrible predicament.

Fire fighters were hard at work in many locations around the state. I had no choice but to tell my older children what was going on. This panicked my oldest child, and she kept asking me if her daddy was going to die. Another thing which was on my mind, was whether or not my husband and I were going to have another wedding anniversary, which was the following day (December 3.) During this stressful time, I thought of the reflection of the Saint Philomena statue, that I had seen in the laundry window shortly before midnight. My husband did get home that night, but it was very late. I believe that Saint Philomena used this unusual sign to comfort me through the ordeal. (Mary Ann Matulis)

Other Matters

Help the Holy Souls in Purgatory and read testimonies of their powerful intercession for their benefactors

Read my book on answers to prayer, free online
Old Jul 18, '11, 4:02 am

Default Re: A testimony of St. Philomena's intercession for our family

Cool.
Old Jul 18, '11, 5:50 am
Book Club Member

What a blessing it is to have this knowledge. I didn't realize that souls in purgatory are believed to be able to intercede for us. Thanks so much for that post, Karenanna!
Old Jul 18, '11, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearontherun View Post
What a blessing it is to have this knowledge. I didn't realize that souls in purgatory are believed to be able to intercede for us. Thanks so much for that post, Karenanna!
There are many proofs that the Souls in Purgatory can obtain favours for their benefactors, while they are still in the flames of Purgatory. Someone argued with me about that. I showed him all the proof, but to little avail. He ended up by saying something like this. Well then if they can intercede for us, their intercession must be very weak (i.e. not worth seeking!)

The facts available from the many cases throughout the centuries say otherwise.

You will see from the following that there their intercession could hardly be called weak.

First of all I will start with a quote:

St Theresa of Avila (Spain) said that "She always obtained the favours which she asked from God, through the intercession of the Poor Souls in Purgatory.

The following testimony was sent to me to publish on my website. It is from a lady in New York.

Car that was completely "dead" is now running well
Right now I am feeling total awe, immense gratitude and the overwhelming feeling of just WOW. I say the St Gertrude prayer for The Holy Souls in Purgatory many times a day, since I found it on your web site. Yesterday (Saturday) when I was ready to go to Mass, I tried to start my car and there was nothing. It just would not turn over. I tried it several times during the day and my son tried it before he went to bed, but it still would not start. Before going to Mass this morning, I went to your web page, (as I do every morning before Mass) to say the prayer. I decided to read some of the things on the web page, which I did the first time that I found your web site, but have not done since then. I read about you not being able to open the lock on your door and about your husband helping. I thought that "I should pray to The Holy Souls in Purgatory about my car", so before I went out, (I was intending to walk to Mass), I asked them to please pray that my car would start. I put the key in the ignition and said “please Holy Souls, pray that it starts”, I turned the key and my car started! I was what you could call struck dumb. I could not believe it, they actually heard me and answered my prayer, so I offered up my Mass and my Eucharist for them. I pray that more and more people pray to and for The Holy Souls, they need our prayers, and they DO listen to us and pray for us. Just ask my car.

For those who want a higher authority let's hear from a pope.

How Pope Pius IX cured a bad memory
The venerable Pontiff Pius IX appointed a holy and prudent religious bishop of a diocese. The priest alarmed at the responsibility put on him begged earnestly to be excused. His protests were in vain. The Holy Father knew his merits. Overcome with apprehension the humble religious solicited an audience with the Pope, who received him most graciously. Once more he pleaded earnestly to be excused but the pope was immovable. As a last recourse Padre Tomaso told the Holy Father that he had a very bad memory which would naturally prove to be a grave impediment in the high office put on him. Pius IX answered with a smile: “Your diocese is very small in comparison with the Universal Church, which I carry on my shoulders. Your cares will be very light in comparison with mine. I, too, suffered from a grave defect of memory but I promised to say a fervent prayer daily for the Holy Souls, who, in return, have obtained for me an excellent memory. Do you likewise, dear Father, and you will have cause to rejoice.”

Go to:

http://missionbell.homestead.com/Afa...holysouls.html

There are plenty more testimonies there and also information on how to help the Holy Souls in Purgatory including the ultimate way which is called the: The Heroic Act.
Old Jul 18, '11, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight View Post
Like poor St. Faustina (who brought us Divine Mercy) was condemned by the Church until we had the grace of a Polish Pope; the Holy See ordered that the name of Saint Philomena be removed from all liturgical calendars that mentioned her on February 14, 1961.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/aas/do...%20-%20ocr.pdf

Your testimony is just another proof that Saint Philomena is truly a Saint in Heaven.

God Bless
No doubt about it. She is a real saint who is in heaven and who works many many miracles. I hope that the Church lets her have a feast day again. St. Philomena was known world wide, but never had a feast day on the universal calendar of the church. Some local calendars had a feast day listed for her.

I have a lot of things about her on my website. Here is a small sample.

How I came to know St. Philomena and the answer to my first novena to her.

St. Philomena topics i.e. the links to pages of my website that have information on her.
Old Jul 18, '11, 6:17 pm

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

St. Philomena is a great saint! Apparently the Holy Mother, during an apparition, said "Nothing is denied to St. Philomena."

Kelly

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality