Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 29, '11, 12:17 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Where can I find an online version of the Graduale Simplex

I can't seem to find it.

Thanks
Old Mar 29, '11, 1:05 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Where can I find an online version of the Graduale Simplex

I don't think it's available online. You can order it from a number of places. One source, Cantica Nova, will also include a guide to using the Graduale Simplex with your order because it's all in Latin, but I don't know if they'll mail to South Africa. I suggest searching lots of sites on the web for a good price, You can also order directly from Paxbook.com .
Old Mar 29, '11, 1:28 pm

Thanks. I don't think it will be in any Catholic bookstore here in South Africa. Having Latin and chant in the Mass is only a fools dream for me and others in South Africa.
Old Mar 29, '11, 1:56 pm

Religion: catholic

There's also a book called "By Flowing Waters" which is an unofficial adaptation of the GS into English. You can use the chants there for the processions (entrance, offertory, communion) if Latin is a problem, or when Lent is over you can use the Alleluia melodies for the Gospel acclamation. It's also in modern (round) notes. If you can't find in South Africa you can order it online.

I don't know where you are in South Africa but if you're into the Extraordinary Form this blog might come in handy: http://unavocesa.blogspot.com/ .

Here are some examples on youtube of chants from the Graduale Simplex:
Offertory for Christmas
Communion chant for Lent
Entrance chant for the Feast of the Assumption
Old Mar 29, '11, 5:12 pm

Thanks, I also wanted this.
Old Dec 7, '12, 2:37 pm

A December 1973 publication by the Australian Episcopal Conference "Music in the Liturgy: a directory and list of approved music for the sung liturgy" has on page 7:

"5. The GRADUALE SIMPLEX (3rd September 1967) – The Simple Gradual using simpler Latin Gregorian-style chant melodies is referred to in the General Instruction in the same numbers cited above.
The ICEL translation became available in 1968. This translation has been officially approved for use in Australia."

This is part of a list of "the various sources of liturgical texts mentioned in the General Instruction on the Roman Missal". Also listed is "3. The GRADUALE ROMANUM December 1907, in Latin with Gregorian chant melodies. The Roman Gradual is cited in the General Instruction in nos. 36, 37, (50), 56i. ...".

I am fairly sure that the translation of Graduale Simplex being referred to is "The Simple Gradual for Sundays and Holy Days Full Music Edition for Cantor, Choir and Organist". Edited by John Ainslie. Published by Geoffrey Chapman. It has near the front:
"First published, 1969
Concordat cum originale; John Humphreys, Secretary of National Liturgical Commission of England and Wales, 20 December 1968."

This "Concordat cum originale" is part of translations of liturgical books, saying that is a correct translation. But this translation is different to other official liturgical books I am familiar with. There is no decree at the front. The is no translation of the praenotanda, or general instruction. (This can be found in Documents on the Liturgy 1963-1979, Liturgical Press, Minnesota, 1982, ISBN 0-8146-1281-4, page 1340.) But it has on page vi "This English edition of the Graduale Simplex covers all Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation".

Here is an outline of the contents for one Mass, Advent Season I, on pages 1-4:

11. Entrance song with music for Antiphon.
12. Alternative antiphon
From Psalm 24, with pointing for singing using Gelineau psalmody, Murray psalmody and Bevenot psalmody. (Psalm tones for these are provided in a card with the book.)
13. Responsorial Psalm, from Psalm 70, with pointing for Murray psalmody but not Gelineau.
14. Alleluia Psalm, from Psalm 84, with pointing for Murray psalmody but not Gelineau.
17. Offertory Song, from Psalm 24, with pointing for Gelineau, Murray and Bevenot psalmody.
18. Communion Song, from Psalm 84, with pointing for Gelineau, Murray and Bevenot psalmody. It has "Alternative communion song: No. 330."

At http://musicasacra.com/sep/ there is available for "Simple English Propers: For the ordinary Form of mass Sundays and Feasts". Published in 2011, this is provided for free, under Creative Commons Licence. In its introduction it has about the importance of sung propers:

"This is why the General Instruction on the Roman Missal (GIRM) speaks of adding decorum to the processions (entrance, offertory, and communion) by singing the “chants proper to them” (44). “After the people have gathered, the entrance chant begins” (47).“The procession bringing the gifts is accompanied by the offertory chant, which continues at least until the gifts have been placed on the altar” (74).“While the priest is receiving the Sacrament, the Communion chant is begun” (87)."

It does not include the Responsorial Psalm or Alleluia Psalm found in The Simple Gradual edited by John Ainsle.

The GIRM has:
"61. ... Instead of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary, there may be sung either the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum, or the Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex, as described in these books." (Roman Missal, English translation according to the third typical edition, approved for use in the dioceses of Australia, England and Wales, and Scotland, published by Catholic Truth Society, in 2010, ISBN 9781860827303, page 44.)

At least in Australia, I think this means there can be singing of these psalms in Latin from Graduale Romanum, or in English from the The Simple Gradual edited by John Ainsle.
Old Dec 8, '12, 6:41 am

Religion: Latin Catholic

What in the world is a Responsorial Gradual?

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old Dec 8, '12, 6:53 am

Religion: Roman Catholic, Benedictine Oblate

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTradCath View Post
What in the world is a Responsorial Gradual?
A psalm verse or two, in responsorial form between schola and choir, that is set to a very melismatic melody. In a Mass in Gregorian chant, it replaces the psalm. Very beautiful. It also generally only for accomplished choristers and an even more accomplished schola; there is often a change of key for the response, especially in the very popular fifth mode.
Old Dec 8, '12, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraLabora View Post
A psalm verse or two, in responsorial form between schola and choir, that is set to a very melismatic melody. In a Mass in Gregorian chant, it replaces the psalm. Very beautiful. It also generally only for accomplished choristers and an even more accomplished schola; there is often a change of key for the response, especially in the very popular fifth mode.
So it is basically what it sounds like, a gradual, but in responsorial form. :/

Devoted bibliophile.
Old Dec 8, '12, 1:50 pm

Quote:
So it is basically what it sounds like, a gradual, but in responsorial form. :/
AFAIK the graduals have always been in responsorial form. In French we always called it "répons graduel" but usually shortened to "graduel". The entire choir chants the first
part and the schola respond with the verse.

These still are licit in the OF, in fact the abbey I'm associated with uses them at the conventual Mass. They also replace the responsory at Lauds, Vespes and Compline during the Triduum.
Old Dec 8, '12, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraLabora View Post
AFAIK the graduals have always been in responsorial form. In French we always called it "répons graduel" but usually shortened to "graduel". The entire choir chants the first
part and the schola respond with the verse.

These still are licit in the OF, in fact the abbey I'm associated with uses them at the conventual Mass. They also replace the responsory at Lauds, Vespes and Compline during the Triduum.
:/ I have only heard graduals sung through.

Devoted bibliophile.
Old Dec 8, '12, 2:35 pm

Quote:
:/ I have only heard graduals sung through.
That's probably what happens when it's only a small choir singing it. But the usual way is responsorial. Our small schola, when we do sing a gradual, will have everyone sing the first part, then our three or four most experienced choristers sing the verse, which is usually harder.

Offertories were originally responsorial as well, but most are now sung through.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments