Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 30, '12, 11:29 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: DD is college freshman shopping for dorm life - what does she need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift from God View Post
By the way, when I started university a couple of years ago, we were all given a bag of essentials that were needed for the year. This included highlighters, a deck of cards, a couple of pens, pencils, and erasers, an agenda, and, oddly enough, three tampons, just in case you didn't bring your own. And yes, all the males received this
Old Jun 30, '12, 1:12 pm

Religion: On the spiritual path...again!
Send a message via MSN to Kouyate42

Something else I forgot: over here we have 'Freshers Week' celebrations with a week-long series of events and social activities. What I found is that usually, it was an excuse for a lot of different groups to hand out free stuff, which included things like pens, pencils and post-it notes. I ended up with loads of free stuff, including enough pens to last a lifetime. Much of it will be junk but you'll get useful little things too: I still have two small reusable shopping bags I was given.

Nothing is more dangerous than a dogmatic worldview - nothing more constraining, more blinding to innovation, more destructive of openness to novelty.
-Stephen Jay Gould

Old Jul 1, '12, 9:40 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

GRANOLA BARS!
Quick and easy snacking or if she's in a rush one morning for school. Make sure they're actually healthy though, and not loaded with sugar.

Old Jul 1, '12, 9:59 am

Don't bring anything valuable such as Sony play stations and such. We were advised not to during orientation but since our son was about 500 miles from home and homesick, (and miserable) I allowed him to bring it back to the dorm when he returned from his next vacation. Well, bad decision on my part. An attempt was made to steal it but his dorm mate woke up and caught the thief with the unit in his hands. He dropped it but did make off with some CD's. The kid was on the basketball team, my son on the wrestling team and fights ensued. Of course I didn't hear about most of it for a couple of years. Ahh, the Glory Days!
Old Jul 1, '12, 10:02 am

Get renter's insurance (reading the above post made me think of it). One day some goof hung a wire hanger on the sprinkler head, setting off the entire sprinkler system and flooding most of the rooms on my son's floor. His room did not get flooded but a lot of computer equipment was ruined. Renter's insurance.
Old Jul 1, '12, 10:47 am
Forum Master

Just one additional hint. Read the dorm rules very carefully. I have been on quite a few campus tours with my son lately. Some dorms allow microwaves, others don't. Personal coffee makers that were all the rage when I went to college aren't allowed in some dorms now. One school even had rules about the kids of bulbs in desk lamps (no halogen). Some dorms encourage students to have a memo board on their room door; others don't allow anything on the outside. etc., etc., etc.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Jul 3, '12, 11:51 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
Get renter's insurance (reading the above post made me think of it). One day some goof hung a wire hanger on the sprinkler head, setting off the entire sprinkler system and flooding most of the rooms on my son's floor. His room did not get flooded but a lot of computer equipment was ruined. Renter's insurance.
Really? They write that for dorm rooms? Do I just call my insurance agent?
Old Jul 3, '12, 11:55 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post
Just one additional hint. Read the dorm rules very carefully. I have been on quite a few campus tours with my son lately. Some dorms allow microwaves, others don't. Personal coffee makers that were all the rage when I went to college aren't allowed in some dorms now. One school even had rules about the kids of bulbs in desk lamps (no halogen). Some dorms encourage students to have a memo board on their room door; others don't allow anything on the outside. etc., etc., etc.
Thanks Corki.

DD and I spent Sunday afternoon in Bed Bath & Beyond. They had a list for each university of do's/dont's, things allowed, not allowed, suggestions, etc.

We didn't do this, but apparently you can pick up a check list and walk around the store with a store associate, who will scan in everything you want. You leave empty handed. Your order is packed up and shipped to the BB&B nearest your school, ready for you to pay and pick it up on move in day.

We are within driving distance, but that might be handy for people who are coming from long distances.

Anyway, all of the suggestions on this thread were helpful while we were shopping. She has a first aid kit, a flashlight and some tools. And small food storage containers for the fridge.... I never would have thought of those!!!

Old Jul 3, '12, 5:50 pm

Everyone here gave great suggestions; I have one more that wasn't given as much. Give your daughter a FAN! As a year out of residence I can say that my roommate's fan was the most precious thing we owned.
Old Jul 3, '12, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mary View Post
Thanks Corki.

DD and I spent Sunday afternoon in Bed Bath & Beyond. They had a list for each university of do's/dont's, things allowed, not allowed, suggestions, etc.

We didn't do this, but apparently you can pick up a check list and walk around the store with a store associate, who will scan in everything you want. You leave empty handed. Your order is packed up and shipped to the BB&B nearest your school, ready for you to pay and pick it up on move in day.

We are within driving distance, but that might be handy for people who are coming from long distances.

Anyway, all of the suggestions on this thread were helpful while we were shopping. She has a first aid kit, a flashlight and some tools. And small food storage containers for the fridge.... I never would have thought of those!!!

Yeah, I had a friend who did this for her son, who is going to a college about 7 hours away. It's a very good idea, especially if you have a girl.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence