Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 24, '12, 1:52 pm

Religion: Catholic!
Default Sacrament Abusage?

Hello to all!

My (very Protestant) family wanted to take a trip down to a sort of "living Bible" exhibit that reconstructs the world of Jesus. I thought this sounded interesting, so I agreed to go. However, looking at the website, I see that it's really more like a theme park than anything, with live shows and whatnot.

One of the shows is a live-action portrayal of the Last Supper. Apparently they give out wafers and wine (or grape juice - no idea) and you take communion with the actor who plays Jesus.

Is it illogical of me to be really upset by this? I mean, of course I have no intention of participating in this, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of my family doing it. Is this not sacrament abusage? Should I have a talk with them? Am I overthinking this?

Edit: I should mention that the park is not affiliated with the Catholic Church (to my knowledge) and is owned by a company with Pentecostal/Charismatic affiliations.
Old Jun 24, '12, 2:57 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Sacrament Abusage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseekanswers View Post
Hello to all!

My (very Protestant) family wanted to take a trip down to a sort of "living Bible" exhibit that reconstructs the world of Jesus. I thought this sounded interesting, so I agreed to go. However, looking at the website, I see that it's really more like a theme park than anything, with live shows and whatnot.

One of the shows is a live-action portrayal of the Last Supper. Apparently they give out wafers and wine (or grape juice - no idea) and you take communion with the actor who plays Jesus.

Is it illogical of me to be really upset by this? I mean, of course I have no intention of participating in this, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of my family doing it. Is this not sacrament abusage? Should I have a talk with them? Am I overthinking this?

Edit: I should mention that the park is not affiliated with the Catholic Church (to my knowledge) and is owned by a company with Pentecostal/Charismatic affiliations.

Well, it depends on the Spirit you take into the show.
It is what it is, even if you do not go.
Old Jun 24, '12, 3:16 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert

Personally I would skip that part.

If you don't mind, you would please post a link to their website or send it to me in a private message?
Old Jun 24, '12, 3:24 pm

Religion: 19 Years of Catholic Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseekanswers View Post
Hello to all!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this is the Holy Land Experience in Orlando, "most" do not recommend it from either a religious, artistic, or theme park/experience level. You can research it within the CAF or online. Reviews find it "boring" and not very friendly to Catholics.

Probably not "sacramental abuse" as it is just cookies and grape juice. There is no true sacramental value as there is no "real presence" in any true sense.
Old Jun 24, '12, 4:33 pm

Religion: Follower of Christ,American Citizen

It's a money making enterprise. The creators found a niche market of evangelical Christians and they are soaking them for $40 s visit plus all the plastic souvenir garbage they can sell. On top of that, they pay ZERO taxes because they are a "church". In order to keep that status, they open up for free one day a year-which is a traffic nightmare. On top of all that, the "theology" is questionable at best.

Stay FAR away.
Old Jun 24, '12, 5:45 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I would not say it's Sacramental abuse as the bread and wine have not been consecrated and no transubstantiation has taken place. It is just bread and wine. Go check it out, have fun, and make sure you don't miss Sunday Mass.
Old Jun 24, '12, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker1961 View Post
It's a money making enterprise. The creators found a niche market of evangelical Christians and they are soaking them for $40 s visit plus all the plastic souvenir garbage they can sell. On top of that, they pay ZERO taxes because they are a "church". In order to keep that status, they open up for free one day a year-which is a traffic nightmare. On top of all that, the "theology" is questionable at best.

Stay FAR away.
Ha!

Drop the $40 admission price into the second collection basket for St. Vincent de Paul, recieve the real Eucharist and go spend the rest of the day with the kids at the beach.

Everybody wins.

-Tim-
Old Jun 24, '12, 6:00 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

There would be no problem with you accepting a role acting as one of the Apostles in a movie or play retelling Christ's life, and in that context accepting bread and grape juice from an actor playing the role of Jesus. Assuming it is a straight retelling.

I see no significant difference here.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Jun 24, '12, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
There would be no problem with you accepting a role acting as one of the Apostles in a movie or play retelling Christ's life, and in that context accepting bread and grape juice from an actor playing the role of Jesus. Assuming it is a straight retelling.

I see no significant difference here.
To do so at a non-Catholic Holy Land theme park can lead people into error, thinking that the Eucharist is something that was just made up, that it is just a memorial, that Christ wasn't speaking literally, that it really isn't his body and blood, etc.

There is a significant difference between non-Catholic communion and Catholic communion. There is all the difference in the world.

We have to be careful about leading people into error. I wouldn't go near it with the proverbial ten foot pole.

I'd politely explain why I can't go, and would spend the day at the beach or pool, or find some other form of enjoyment and relaxation.

-Tim-
Old Jun 24, '12, 9:01 pm

Religion: Catholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastenatingguy View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this is the Holy Land Experience in Orlando, "most" do not recommend it from either a religious, artistic, or theme park/experience level. You can research it within the CAF or online. Reviews find it "boring" and not very friendly to Catholics.

Probably not "sacramental abuse" as it is just cookies and grape juice. There is no true sacramental value as there is no "real presence" in any true sense.
It is indeed the Holy Land Experience. The more I find out about it, the less happy I am with the idea of going. I'm looking at the TripAdvisor comments, and it just seems less-than-appealing overall (which is unfortunate, since the basic idea for this whole thing is sort of neat). Thank you so much for your input!
Old Jun 24, '12, 9:08 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
To do so at a non-Catholic Holy Land theme park can lead people into error, thinking that the Eucharist is something that was just made up, that it is just a memorial, that Christ wasn't speaking literally, that it really isn't his body and blood, etc.

There is a significant difference between non-Catholic communion and Catholic communion. There is all the difference in the world.

We have to be careful about leading people into error. I wouldn't go near it with the proverbial ten foot pole.

I'd politely explain why I can't go, and would spend the day at the beach or pool, or find some other form of enjoyment and relaxation.

-Tim-
But people could infer the very same thing from the fact that you as an actor happily participate in a re-enactment of the Last Supper on stage or screen. As long as it is a simple reenactment in a non-Church setting, the risk is minimal because it says little if anything about the views of the participants.

Unlike, say, receiving in a non-Catholic church, which says a great deal about one's views on the Eucharist.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments