Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 4, '12, 7:51 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gay people around my children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et Cetera View Post
This.

People need to understand that the really sheltered kids crack in the real world or never get out of their bubble.
Good morning,
Thank you for sharing, however with all Christian charity this is a stereotype that is highly disputed. I have heard from more then one source that this notion is false. I cannot quote all sources however to be brief I will share something written by Dr. Ray Guarendi. (as I understand it I cannot quote him directly from his book as it may be copywright infringement, so I must paraphrase him here)

There is a stereotype of "the preacher's kid" who grows up to be the nastiest kid there is. Truth be told statistically preacher's children are more morally grounded and more mature then others.

The REAL problem Dr. Ray cautions is that raising your child strictly without love is where there can be a problem. If a parent is strict like a dictator and unloving, it can make for children that see living the way they were raised as cold and uncaring so that may fuel rebellion. What I surmise from Dr. Ray and others is that in homes where children are sheltered and loved, and raised where morals and obedience are valued and where faith is central....these children do not grow up to rebel (generally). Children that grow up in permissive homes and that are exposed to all kinds of social ills when they are too young to handle it are more prone to have problems and act out (generally). Hope this helps, God bless.
Old Aug 4, '12, 10:18 pm

My mum's best friend's sister has same sex attraction. It wasn't until I was 22 that I realised they were not just "flat mates".

I saw their affections at various functions, but they were quite respectful being around such large numbers of Catholics, so I just thought they were good friends. Perhaps you should just do that, if your kids ask, tell them they're just "flat mates" or whatever the term for people who live together platonically or as friends is where you're from.

Of course, being as saturated as our culture currently is with homosexuality, your children might ask more direct questions, and if that's the case, do what some of the other posters have said. Tell them about marriage and the Church's teaching for it, age appropriate of course.

Perhaps, saying something along the lines of some people know God very well, and they know what he wants them to do, and they know that God wants a man to be married to a woman - becasue that's the only way babies can be made, and God wants more babies. However, some people don't know God very well, and so they live in a way that God wouldn't want them to live, and its our responsibility as Christians to be kind to them, and if they ask us how to know God we tell them, and if they don't, we just live very well and be very good so they can see God is in our lives.
Old Aug 4, '12, 11:18 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradlecatholic5 View Post
Most gays I know are very rude, talking about *favors* they did for other men, and they are really uncharitable when you have a differing opinion, that doesn't align with theirs. They spit

I'm sorry to hear that and it's been my experience to find out people are people.
Yes. I'd say that it is wise to keep children away from people who have no discretion when talking about sex or who glorify immorality or who are simply vulgar in speech or action, for that matter, but that isn't something that goes with one sexual orientation or the other. That has to do with whether I feel the people in question exhibit some basic level of propriety. A person might not have any culpability for the way they are--for instance, they might have a brain disorder and yell all the time or act a bit unhinged--and yet have issues that make them too difficult for young children to be around.

I think it more likely that there will be a situation where young kids ought not be there. For instance, in some families, it is predictable that some of the guests will drink too much at a wedding, and it isn't good for kids to be around that. They can be allowed around people who have been known to abuse alcohol, just not while the people could reasonably be expected to choose to abuse it or if the people insist on glorifying alcohol abuse even when they're not actually drinking. Some people who are fine on Christmas morning are not people you'd want near your kids on New Year's Eve.

That is the issue that I would sort out: that is, whether the behavior will be acceptable around the kids, not whether behavior elsewhere is acceptable, particularly if it is a family member.
Old Aug 5, '12, 11:12 am

Don't have kids yet but I have thought about similar situations like this. As someone pointed out, sheltering them won't do them any good. I feel that everyone deserves respect because, after all, we're all human beings. Talking to your kids seems like the best way to go.

"It is nice to be important. But it is more important to be nice"

Old Aug 5, '12, 11:50 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uknowhoo View Post
Don't have kids yet but I have thought about similar situations like this. As someone pointed out, sheltering them won't do them any good. I feel that everyone deserves respect because, after all, we're all human beings. Talking to your kids seems like the best way to go.
Well, it depends. No, you can't bring your child up thinking that no one ever acts or thinks differently than their parents do. Having said that, there are situations where failing to "shelter" your child--for instance, keeping them from witnessing physical, verbal or emotional abuse--is itself child abuse. Obviously, it is also not beneficial to a child to have their innocence violated at an age when they had a right to remain innocent.

It is beneficial to children to know that you regard all other human beings as human beings, without regard to their prior behavior. That isn't the same as pretending that it benefits your children to totally lack any discrimination when it comes to who you socialize with, not even discriminating in favor of those who show self-control over those who choose to be provocative and demand to have their choices not only tolerated, but openly validated. There gets to be a point where that crosses a line into complicity, and that is not appropriate.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life