Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 22, '12, 6:40 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Trying to figure out the creation of a child... what happens in the womb and when?

By pictures it seems there isn't a connection between an early baby (2 or 3 weeks along) and the mother, but there is a nice egg living space for the baby... When does the embilical cord form? Also, Trying to figure out a way that doctors are not executing in ectopic pregnancies... how to prevent them and how to move the baby along (treating both patients)

Thanks

God Bless

Jess
Old Jun 22, '12, 6:58 am

Religion: Catholic, Confirmed Easter 2013
Default Re: Trying to figure out the creation of a child... what happens in the womb and when?

There is a connection right away. The embryo implants into the uterine wall. This is when a woman becomes pregnant. An egg can be fertilized and still not implant.

Going by weeks is complicated because the system is weird. You start counting from the last day of the last period, so for the first two weeks conception hasn't even occurred! Implantation happens 7 to 10 days after conception and a woman will miss her period a few days later.

Here's a site with 3D rotatable pictures by week so you can see what's going on.

http://3dpregnancy.parentsconnect.com/
Old Jun 23, '12, 8:59 am

Default Re: Trying to figure out the creation of a child... what happens in the womb and when?

Thanks Abrigham!! What a wonderful site this is!!

So let me reevaluate: The sperm and egg don't concept for 2 weeks after the procreative act? Is that true?

And what my main goal to figure out is does the embryo connect to anything in the fallopian tubes if the baby doesn't get to the uterus (known as ectopic pregnancy)? I've noticed that most ectopic pregnancies I research on the internet end in ONLY treating the mother and not treating baby and mother as two patients... hence they end the life of the baby. Hopefully, there's a preventative measure that parents just haven't understood yet... I believe there's a way to save way more babies!!

That is a very helpful website you've provided! Thank you!! Do you understand whether the umbilical cord with the sac around the baby connects to the mother or just to the outside of the sac so it can take in nutrients from the surrounding space... I just hope there's some way to massage the baby into the uterus instead of any cutting method... I am in the pro life movement and am so sad when I hear about these pregnancies. Another PREVENTION is to avoid endocrine disruptors (source www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2908297.html) such as lead and household cleaners (use vinegar in water or a plain wash)... and the air purifying plants help to clean out industrial byproducts ( http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2009/...ifying-plants/ )

God Bless

Sincerely,

Jess
Old Jun 23, '12, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut7949 View Post
Thanks Abrigham!! What a wonderful site this is!!

So let me reevaluate: The sperm and egg don't concept for 2 weeks after the procreative act? Is that true?

And what my main goal to figure out is does the embryo connect to anything in the fallopian tubes if the baby doesn't get to the uterus (known as ectopic pregnancy)? I've noticed that most ectopic pregnancies I research on the internet end in ONLY treating the mother and not treating baby and mother as two patients... hence they end the life of the baby. Hopefully, there's a preventative measure that parents just haven't understood yet... I believe there's a way to save way more babies!!

That is a very helpful website you've provided! Thank you!! Do you understand whether the umbilical cord with the sac around the baby connects to the mother or just to the outside of the sac so it can take in nutrients from the surrounding space... I just hope there's some way to massage the baby into the uterus instead of any cutting method... I am in the pro life movement and am so sad when I hear about these pregnancies. Another PREVENTION is to avoid endocrine disruptors (source www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2908297.html) such as lead and household cleaners (use vinegar in water or a plain wash)... and the air purifying plants help to clean out industrial byproducts ( http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2009/...ifying-plants/ )

God Bless

Sincerely,

Jess
Hi Jess,

I'm not a doctor but this is my understanding of how it works.

While the sperm and the egg may join at varying times after intercourse, it cannot be said there is a pregnancy until the zygote has implanted. So an egg can be fertilised but not implant - this is quite common, not every fertilised egg results in a pregnancy. It does not take two weeks for a sperm to fertilise an egg but a pregancy is 'measured' from the date of the last menstrual period. This means that when you're 2 weeks pregnant, you really have only just become pregnant. When you're 6 weeks pregnant, that means it has been 6 weeks since the last period, not that there has been a baby for six weeks. It's just the way this is measured by the medical profession.

In an ectopic pregnancy, the zygote implants somewhere other than the uterus, usually in the fallopian tube. There is no way to 'move' an implanted foetus from the tube to the uterus and the tube cannot support a growing foetus, it will always rupture. A ruptured tube is a medical emergency and is always fatal to the baby and may be fatal to the mother. There is no option other than removal of the tube (which includes the baby) or removal of the baby only. Catholic teaching is that the only acceptable treatment is removal of the tube (which results in the death of the baby) but medically there are other options which may or may not preserve the tube, if it has not yet ruptured. There is no option that saves the baby though.

The umbilical cord connects the baby to the placenta which is attached to the uterus. There are blood vessels in the cord that carry nutrients and oxygen from the placenta to the baby.

I'm sure that if I've got any of this wrong, other posters will correct me or explain it better.

Last edited by Do Good Then Go; Jun 23, '12 at 10:34 am.
Old Jun 23, '12, 10:45 am
Veteran Member

http://www.webmd.com/baby/ss/slideshow-conception

Here's a good slide show.

Conception can happen anywhere from a few hours following intercourse to a few days. Sperm lives a few days in good conditions, the egg only lives about 24 hours.

Conception happens normally in the fallopian tube, then the newly fertilized egg travels to the uterus to implant. This travel time can take about a week.

The embryo before implantation gets it nutrients from the yolk sac.

As the cells divide, very early on, they differentiate into the cells that belong to the baby and the cells that will turn into the placenta, umbilical cord and membranes.

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Old Jun 24, '12, 8:45 pm

Remarkable replies, friends!! Thank you

I will revisit this page but it's getting late today,

my main question is, the slideshow shows that implantation more or less is one side of the embryo attaching to the uterus lining... is that where the umbilical cord forms? And, is it possible, if a baby (I just read ectopic pregnancies only account for 2 out of 100 pregnancies, and even sometimes abortion clinics misdiagnose according to lifenews.com article) implants in tube on accident, that an umbilical cord can form? Or must the baby be in the uterus for that? Can the baby still get nutrition if implanted in the tube?

Basically, ectopic pregnancies are rare... the good news is there is PREVENTION such as avoiding chemicals and unsafe house cleaners... using indoor plants... eating food that helps your body to work naturally... does anyone know someone who has had one? I'm wondering what type of lifestyle and eating habits might be present in the case...

http://www.lifenews.com/2008/06/02/int-770/ AND YAY IT IS POSSIBLE AN ECTOPIC PREGNANCY BEARS Both LIVING MOTHER AND BABY, though this one is in the ovary not tube
Old Jun 24, '12, 11:43 pm

Quote:

my main question is, the slideshow shows that implantation more or less is one side of the embryo attaching to the uterus lining... is that where the umbilical cord forms? And, is it possible, if a baby (I just read ectopic pregnancies only account for 2 out of 100 pregnancies, and even sometimes abortion clinics misdiagnose according to lifenews.com article) implants in tube on accident, that an umbilical cord can form? Or must the baby be in the uterus for that? Can the baby still get nutrition if implanted in the tube?

Basically, ectopic pregnancies are rare... the good news is there is PREVENTION such as avoiding chemicals and unsafe house cleaners... using indoor plants... eating food that helps your body to work naturally... does anyone know someone who has had one? I'm wondering what type of lifestyle and eating habits might be present in the case...

http://www.lifenews.com/2008/06/02/int-770/ AND YAY IT IS POSSIBLE AN ECTOPIC PREGNANCY BEARS Both LIVING MOTHER AND BABY, though this one is in the ovary not tube
Hi Peanut,

I haven't heard that cleaning products can increase the risk of ectopic pregnancy. I do know that smoking in the early stages of pregnancy increases the risk as it can slow the progress of the fertilised egg through the tube but otherwise there is nothing that can be done to prevent an ectopic pregnancy. I'm pretty sure that diet is not a factor and having indoor plants will not help to prevent an ectopic pregnancy.

I think we have to be careful mentioning abortion clinics when talking about ectopic pregnancies - an abortion or a D&C cannot be done if there is an ectopic pregnancy as the pregnancy is not in the uterus. An ectopic pregnancy must be treated as it threatens the mother's life but this is not abortion.

Women still die today because of ectopic pregnancies although fortunately this is becoming rarer with earlier detection, safer surgical techniques and better health care in general but ectopic pregnancies themselves aren't really all that rare. One of my close friends had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy and almost died. She began having severe pain and went to the hospital straight away but by that time the tube had ruptured and she apparently had massive internal bleeding. It isn't always that dramatic but sometimes it is, even today.

I mostly wanted to point out that ectopic pregnancy has nothing to do with abortion. It's possible that an ectopic pregnancy could be diagnosed at an abortion clinic but there is no other connection. An abdominal ectopic pregnancy is also possible although that is very rare (I think about 1% of all ectopic pregnancies) and very occasionally these babies may survive - as it says in your link it's really 'one in a million' and there are other problems including an increased risk of birth defects in the baby and likely maternal haemorrhage when the placenta is removed.
Old Jun 25, '12, 9:18 pm

Religion: Monotheist

Quote:
By pictures it seems there isn't a connection between an early baby (2 or 3 weeks along) and the mother, but there is a nice egg living space for the baby... When does the embilical cord form? Also, Trying to figure out a way that doctors are not executing in ectopic pregnancies... how to prevent them and how to move the baby along (treating both patients)

Thanks

God Bless

Jess
Ok, this is a very complex question. My expertise is in cellular biology, not developmental biology, but I don't think at this time we have the ability to move an implanted embryo.
Perhaps your calling would be to study developmental biology and probably nano technology to further study this question. I truly doubt you can solve this complex problem without more understanding of the mechanisms of fertilization and conception than you would be able to get from an internet board.
Old Jun 27, '12, 11:15 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

I was told at one of my early ultrasounds that I have an anterior placenta, meaning it's in the front of the uterus instead of the back. It's not a health risk and I asked what determines the placenta's position and was told by my doctor it's where implantation occurs. Hope that clarifies a little for you

Edited to add that the umbilical chord is what attaches the placenta to the fetus. So in essence, you're correct that the umbilical chord is attached via placenta where implantation occurred. I hope I'm wording that correctly.

Old Jun 27, '12, 12:16 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

The OP seems to confuse implantation with conception.

Conception is when the half strand of DNA from the sperm combines with the half strand from the egg and a totally unique organism is formed. At this moment, the new being has substantially the same DNA as she will for the rest of her life, detectably different from that of her mother or father. Because this is the moment when a measurable difference in basic substane occurs, this is the scientifically logical moment to label as the beginning of life.

Implantation does take more time. The new cell divides many times before implantation occurs, but the implantation and connection to the uterine wall does not constitute any fundamental change in what the organism IS. It's just a stage of development in which the new baby establishes a long term viable means of nutrition and waste disposal.
Old Jun 27, '12, 3:01 pm

Religion: Catholic (convert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
The OP seems to confuse implantation with conception.

Conception is when the half strand of DNA from the sperm combines with the half strand from the egg and a totally unique organism is formed. At this moment, the new being has substantially the same DNA as she will for the rest of her life, detectably different from that of her mother or father. Because this is the moment when a measurable difference in basic substane occurs, this is the scientifically logical moment to label as the beginning of life.

Implantation does take more time. The new cell divides many times before implantation occurs, but the implantation and connection to the uterine wall does not constitute any fundamental change in what the organism IS. It's just a stage of development in which the new baby establishes a long term viable means of nutrition and waste disposal.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life