Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 21, '12, 11:31 am

Religion: Irish Catholic
Default Re: Family unsupportive of Traditional Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
That's the problem I have with these sort of threads.

We only have the OP's version of the story. We do have the other side of the story.

Yes we can show sympathy but in doing so do we not malign those that the OP is talking about. Must we not assume that they are in the wrong.

Could it not be just as easy to assume that the OP, while being sincere, in his feelings and beliefs, that he may be coming off as a know it all and showing a superior attitude to everyone who he disagrees with?
Some people don't have anyone IRL to talk to about their faith, that's why they visit CAF. The least we can do is be welcoming. Many posters have exhibited sympathy while encouraging the OP to be humble and charitable towards his family. Doesn't that answer the objection of being partisan in our sympathy? We can give the OP the benefit of the doubt while warning him against doing wrong. I would object to a round condemnation of his family as much as I objected to a strongly worded condemnation of the OP from a certain poster. You make a good point.
Old Jun 21, '12, 11:56 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
Tim,
Even though the situation you describe above happens, you're being part of the problem here by not allowing that in this instance it's the other way around. Why not show some sympathy?
You are absolutely right. I see that now. I apologize for getting involved and for my reaction. I hope you, the OP and everyone else can forgive me.

-Tim-
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:01 pm

Religion: Irish Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
You are absolutely right. I see that now. I apologize for getting involved and for my reaction. I hope you, the OP and everyone else can forgive me.

-Tim-
Tim,

You are a Catholic gentleman, and I know I can count on you to correct me fraternally when needed.

v/r
Rich
Old Jun 21, '12, 1:26 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
Saying that Aunt so and so, who happens to be a nun, and has some teaching that is not completely orthodox, is being disrespectful or arrogant?
Did you read the whole post linked?[indent]If you have an issue with them, take it up in private, not on this forum or any of our forums.[/indnet]

Quote:
Frankly if we all followed this policy, there would be like 5 posts on CAF.

Unless it is a news story, it will always be someone's account of something.

Anytime someone is sharing his or her experience, it will be from his viewpoint. Yes, we can point out different ways that the person can look at the situation, but we can also give them the benefit of the doubt.
So then no one should get upset when others feel like giving the benefit of the doubt to the voiceless.
Old Jun 21, '12, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Catherine View Post
It is true we don't know both sides of the story, so we must go with the OP story. We won't hear the other side so we must trust he is telling us the truth and not assume the worse of him because that is wrong also and two wrongs don't make a right.

We can answer him without saying anything against him or religious because they both deserve respect.
Knowing the fact that we do not have the whole story demands that in charity we think the best of those who are being talked about behind their backs.

This is gossip.
Old Jun 21, '12, 1:48 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic, Benedictine Oblate

Quote:
Knowing the fact that we do not have the whole story demands that in charity we think the best of those who are being talked about behind their backs.

This is gossip.
In this case, almost calumny.
Old Jun 21, '12, 2:41 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

This is gossip.
True. We do need to think the best of them but we also need to think the best of the OP. We need to look at the situation from both sides. Both sides deserve our charity.

Yes, I agree it could be gossip but the best way to handle such a thing is to charitably answer the OP question and not make accusations about him, otherwise we end up gossiping about the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraLabora View Post
In this case, almost calumny.
Calumny: 2.A false and slanderous statement.
We do not know his statements are false.

We should always be ready to defend our faith and the clergy and other religous who have dedicated their lives to serving and at the same time answer the OP question charitably and help him to see and understand where they might be coming from without getting into gossip but also be charitable to him.

I find it very sad to see someone come to CAF looking for fellowship and answers and their posts get picked at and they become insulted and attacked.

Thus saith the Lord: Stand ye on the ways, and see and ask for the old paths which is the good way, and walk ye in it: and you shall find refreshment for your souls. Jeremiah 6:16[/i]

Last edited by Diana Catherine; Jun 21, '12 at 2:54 pm.
Old Jun 21, '12, 3:58 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of Trent View Post
I'm find myself in a peculiar situation. I was raised in a Novus Ordo Catholic environment in what I consider to be a fairly devout Catholic family...
"Novus Ordo Catholic environment." No such thing. Maybe you need to look internally for why they are "unsupportive."
Old Jun 21, '12, 5:52 pm

Religion: Amateur Catholic

You are not a member of a traditional faith, but of the Catholic faith. It is wonderful that you went to confession just last week after a 15 year absence.

Who wants to see God? Cry to the Lord with an intensely yearning heart and you will certainly see Him. People shed jugs of tears for money, wife, and children. But if they would weep for God for only one day they would surely see Him.
Old Jun 21, '12, 6:01 pm

TC forum is to discuss Catholic traditions. Family issues belong in Family Forum.

CLOSED

Mary, Mother of Wisdom, be with us as we navigate through faith
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism