Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 2, '12, 3:44 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Fox News reporter Greg Burke gets a new assignment: Vatican PR

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...03V_story.html

"In his new job as the Vatican’s senior communications adviser, (FOX News Reporter) Burke, 52, will be counseling Pope Benedict XVI and his closest staff on how to better project the Catholic Church’s image to the rest of the world."

"Burke, a member of the Opus Dei movement, has been a journalist in Rome since 1988, most recently for Fox News after a stint with Time magazine. For Fox, he has covered Europe and the Middle East for the last decade."

Burke is also a former reporter for NCR. In his Opus Dei afiliation, he is a “numerary” in the movement, which the article describes as being a "celibate layman".

Interesting credentials for a PR guy: FOX News, NCR & Opus Dei.
Old Aug 2, '12, 7:21 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female
Default Re: Fox News reporter Greg Burke gets a new assignment: Vatican PR

Getting brand Vatican 'on message'

http://www.cathnews.com/article.aspx?aeid=32554
Old Aug 2, '12, 7:55 am

Good article, but I think the most important thing that Greg Burke can do is to stress the importance of getting authoritative responses to negative stories out immediately. Too often, the Bishops and Cardinals have to ponder every nuance of any response, which can delay getting the Church's message out into the media.

It is an axiom of the media that if you repeat a percpetion or allegation enough times, without a contrary response, it becomes fact!

Now, if the USCCB could just get a "Greg Burke" working with them!

P.S.: My apologies to Greg Burke for saying that he had worked for NCR (National Catholic Reporter). According to your referenced article, he instead worked for the National Catholic Register; a BIG difference.
Old Aug 4, '12, 7:36 pm

Religion: Latin Church, Roman Rite

I have no love for Fox News, but I'm sure Mr Burke's talents will be invaluable in combating the lies and deceit about the Catholic Church in this day and age. I wish him well, and hope to see the fruits of the Vatican's labour soon.
Old Aug 4, '12, 9:08 pm

FYI. There are 2 sides to "Fox News"; one the conservative commentary side represented by Sean Hannity and the other the hard news shows that are "fair and balanced". Even the Sean Hannity show provides opposing views (to the left in this case), something often missing from mainstream media talk shows here in the USA.

I presume that you get "Fox News" on your side of the globe, although the programming is probably pretty far off (schedule wise) from your viewing hours or does the government in Singapore limit what you see of "Fox"?
Old Aug 4, '12, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkiedad View Post
Good article, but I think the most important thing that Greg Burke can do is to stress the importance of getting authoritative responses to negative stories out immediately. Too often, the Bishops and Cardinals have to ponder every nuance of any response, which can delay getting the Church's message out into the media.

It is an axiom of the media that if you repeat a percpetion or allegation enough times, without a contrary response, it becomes fact!

Now, if the USCCB could just get a "Greg Burke" working with them!

P.S.: My apologies to Greg Burke for saying that he had worked for NCR (National Catholic Reporter). According to your referenced article, he instead worked for the National Catholic Register; a BIG difference.
This is absolutely true. The sexual abuse allegations from a few years ago could have used a good dose of this.
Old Aug 4, '12, 9:56 pm

Quote:
FYI. There are 2 sides to "Fox News"; one the conservative commentary side represented by Sean Hannity and the other the hard news shows that are "fair and balanced". Even the Sean Hannity show provides opposing views (to the left in this case), something often missing from mainstream media talk shows here in the USA.

I presume that you get "Fox News" on your side of the globe, although the programming is probably pretty far off (schedule wise) from your viewing hours or does the government in Singapore limit what you see of "Fox"?
I am well aware of the distinction. We do get an unrestricted broadcast of Fox News in Singapore (does the federal government limit what you see of Singapore?), and I have watched it while I have been in the United States, but - and I apologise if this offends you in any way - I am not impressed.

However, this thread is about the Vatican gaining another press talent, not about our perception of Fox News, so I apologise for being reluctant to discuss this in greater detail. I thank you for your reply, nonetheless.
Old Aug 4, '12, 10:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filii Dei View Post
I am well aware of the distinction. We do get an unrestricted broadcast of Fox News in Singapore (does the federal government limit what you see of Singapore?), and I have watched it while I have been in the United States, but - and I apologise if this offends you in any way - I am not impressed.

However, this thread is about the Vatican gaining another press talent, not about our perception of Fox News, so I apologise for being reluctant to discuss this in greater detail. I thank you for your reply, nonetheless.
Sorry, I haven't been to Singapore and don't hear too much about it, except for mention of Asian stocks and stories about the strict laws against littering and other offenses. Hopefully, those strict laws don't impinge on your religious freedoms.

Does the Church in Singapore have a need for a "Greg Burke"?
Old Aug 4, '12, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Sorry, I haven't been to Singapore and don't hear too much about it, except for mention of Asian stocks and stories about the strict laws against littering and other offenses. Hopefully, those strict laws don't impinge on your religious freedoms.
For the large part, no. There was a single instance in 1987 where several Catholics were rounded up and detained for a so-called "Marxist conspiracy". Without commenting on the merits of the accusations, I can say that church-state relations have been largely been without major incident.

Quote:
Does the Church in Singapore have a need for a "Greg Burke"?
Not here, but the Vatican certainly does. Not all dioceses face the same set of problems. We've never had much bad press. In fact, the only group who seem to be getting in the news for all the wrong reasons here appear to be the Protestants.
Old Aug 5, '12, 12:12 am

Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filii Dei View Post
I have no love for Fox News, but I'm sure Mr Burke's talents will be invaluable in combating the lies and deceit about the Catholic Church in this day and age. I wish him well, and hope to see the fruits of the Vatican's labour soon.
^This!
Old Aug 5, '12, 2:33 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...03V_story.html

"In his new job as the Vatican’s senior communications adviser, (FOX News Reporter) Burke, 52, will be counseling Pope Benedict XVI and his closest staff on how to better project the Catholic Church’s image to the rest of the world."

"Burke, a member of the Opus Dei movement, has been a journalist in Rome since 1988, most recently for Fox News after a stint with Time magazine. For Fox, he has covered Europe and the Middle East for the last decade."

Burke is also a former reporter for NCR. In his Opus Dei afiliation, he is a “numerary” in the movement, which the article describes as being a "celibate layman".

Interesting credentials for a PR guy: FOX News, NCR & Opus Dei.

I never heard Opus Dei described currently as a "movement". Opus Dei is a prelature of the Church.
Old Aug 5, '12, 5:01 pm

Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Dave View Post
I never heard Opus Dei described currently as a "movement". Opus Dei is a prelature of the Church.
What can we expect from Washington Post?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News