Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 25, '12, 3:22 pm

Religion: Catholic ^i^
Default Re: Suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonjaFutura View Post
Do people who commit suicide go to Heaven or Hell or what? I've heard a bunch of different things on this subject but I'm not sure which is official. (Even if you would say that they all go to Heaven, that wouldn't make me more inclined to do it. Just so ya know.)
Hello, my dear. I am sorry to hear that you feel this way. As someone who has tried to commit suicide multiple times and failed, I do understand what you are going through. And i am here for you as well, if you should ever wish to talk. PM me anytime.

“My greatest pleasure is to serve the Lord in his poor children rejected by other people.” --Saint Damien De Veuster

Saint Damien of Molokai group: http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1640
Old Jun 25, '12, 3:36 pm

Religion: Catholic

I see a counselor but i don't exactly trust her cuz she suggests i explore other religions and stuff. She says i should talk to an unbiased protestant pastor to "broaden my horizons" cuz priests and religious are biased but i think it's kinda a dumb idea. Just saying this for the benefit of those who suggest counseling. It kind of helps but she's on vacation this week and i was improving so it didn't seem urgent to make another appointment for a while.
Old Jun 25, '12, 4:05 pm

Religion: Catholic ^i^

Quote:
I see a counselor but i don't exactly trust her cuz she suggests i explore other religions and stuff. She says i should talk to an unbiased protestant pastor to "broaden my horizons" cuz priests and religious are biased but i think it's kinda a dumb idea. Just saying this for the benefit of those who suggest counseling. It kind of helps but she's on vacation this week and i was improving so it didn't seem urgent to make another appointment for a while.
Well, you can always try another counselor if this one makes you uncomfortable. There are many out there and sometimes it takes a while to find the right one for you. i went through many myself. But if its important to you...just tell her that discussing religion with her makes you uncomfortable. I am sure she is just trying to help. Hang in there. You will find the right person for you. Keep looking.

“My greatest pleasure is to serve the Lord in his poor children rejected by other people.” --Saint Damien De Veuster

Saint Damien of Molokai group: http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1640
Old Jun 25, '12, 4:47 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Try to find a Catholic counselor. Catholic Charities has them, if you are in or near a city. Try your Diocese. They work on a sliding income scale, so the less you make, the less you pay. She is WRONG about recommending that you look outside your faith for help. It will only confuse you.
Old Jun 25, '12, 6:15 pm

Religion: Agnostic
Send a message via Yahoo to Irishgal49

Quote:
Ask a priest for a referral to a Catholic therapist and you don't wait until you're bad to go. That's like waiting for your teeth to decay before you see a dentist. St Igantius talks about how when we are not feeling desolation that is the time to prepare for the next time when we do...we shore up our weak areas, we fortify ourselves and get medical help too....medication is best adjusted when you're not suicidal.
Old Jun 26, '12, 9:18 pm

People often say it is a selfish act, it can be, but I read an article about a leper in India who hung himself- "I want to live but no one will help me". Was that a selfish act? Some people kill themselves when they are simply in emotional states, and emotional states are liable to change, but what if you're suffering a permanent condition that designates for you a life of extreme isolation, incapacitation, hatred, beggary, and no hope of finding love or companionship. i can't call that selfish or a grave sin, I shrink away from any judgment because I know there is a limit to what I can endure.
Old Jun 27, '12, 2:44 am

Religion: Catholic

I've met and nursed people who've attempted suicides. You talk to them for five minutes and you see right away they are not right in the head. There's no way there's full knowledge in the ones I've met. Its actually quite hideous watching them try and work through the pros and cons and refusing to beleive they hold value or worth, or that suicide is a viable escape from their problems - from the voices. One woman told me she felt blessed that the voices only told her to kill herself and no one else, she said the day they'd start telling her to kill others, that's when she'd take her own life in an attemp to save others.

I've known people in my personal life whov'e done it, and some without any warning or sign. THose are the worse, because its hard to imagine them being so successful at hiding such inner turmoil.

Yet, I've also known people who've taken their lives/attempted to do so, because of some trouble they were in with the law, so serious that they'd be facing a long time in prision, shame from public et cetera.

Basically there's plenty of reasons why a person takes their life, and I'd imagine the majroity are committed because of hideous mental illness.

God is not an ogre. He knows the whole story. The state of that person's mind and soul when they take their life. We can know some of the story, from their behaviour, from a suicide note, but we can never know what God knows.

Some would be in Hell, some will be Heaven, some will be in Purgatory. Just trust them to the mercy of God. He knows the whole story. We don't. In fact, the majority of the people I've met who've attempted suicide or have killed themselves, they probably didn't even know the whole story!
Old Jun 27, '12, 8:31 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

It's kind of like saying to God, "I don't want Your gift of life."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology