Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 29, '12, 4:16 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Does Religion Hide The Truth?

I've always wondered this because I remember overhearing a conversation my parents had with a priest when I was very young. It was more like an argument. As I remember it, the Priest, not my parents, was insisting that the main reason religion exists, was to hide truths from us that we cannot handle. I remember the Priest over and over demanding that my father believe about something he called the "ripcord."

Has anyone else ever heard of anything like this?

This has always kind of hung around in the back of my mind, like for years, and now I'm thinking about it again and I don't know why.

Thanks...
Old Jun 29, '12, 5:05 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Does Religion Hide The Truth?

Are you sure you heard him correctly? Like you said, you were very young, and you may have remembered it wrong.
If the priest did say that, then he was wrong. At least, assuming that he meant what it sounds like (as in, it wasn't taken out of context). Jesus himself said that the Truth shall set you free. Catholicism is the embodiment of Truth - so to have Truth hide Truth is impossible.

Old Jun 29, '12, 5:49 pm

Religion: Catholic. Never doubted. Jesus, I Trust in You!

The True Faith (Jewish & One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church)-reveal the True God-and God is the Truth.

Therefore, the only place to truly find the Truth-and to learn about the fullness of the Truth of God-and that would be through the means He devised to reveal Himself (The Truth) to man.

The Jewish Faith was a Covenant with God.
God the Father revealed Himself-and they knew of the Redeemer to come.

The One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, started by Jesus through His Disciples over 2,000 years ago is the New Covenant with God.
Christ revealed Himself to be one with His Father.
And, promised to never leave us alone-God the Holy Spirit.

One God in 3 Persons=the Holy Trinity.

There is and can be only 1 Truth.
In all things.

Therefore, the Truth is not hidden, but revealed by-not Religion, but God's Covenant with man-as God sets Covenants up to be.

I hope this makes sense.

God is the only Truth. Then, consider the source.

God Bless you.
+Jesus, I Trust in You!
Love, Dawn
"Say the Rosary every day...Pray, pray a lot and offer sacrifices for sinners...I'm Our Lady of the Rosary. Only I will be able to help you. ...In the end My Immaculate Heart will triumph." -Our Lady at Fatima

The Blue Army
Rosary Confraternity
Old Jun 30, '12, 10:06 am
Trial Membership

Thanks to you both for your answers, and while I agree that God is "THE" Truth, there are however a lot of truths in life other than that.

I'm going for a lot less"Holy" here! lol!

You know, like the truths that are sometimes better left unsaid, simply to protect someone's feelings, or someone may be too young to understand why certain things are the way they are.

There's also the "need to know" types of truths such as in the military, when soldiers are only told what they need to know at the moment, and not the whole plan (or truth).

As far as misunderstanding the conversation and my age, this was not a one-time happenstance. It went on for months - the Priest coming over and talking about the "ripcord" - and I was always swooshed out of the house and told to go play outside or to go to my room and play my music.

I can remember one time when I walked back into the house a little too soon - I thought the Priest had left - and my father and the Priest scurried to pick up the papers they had been arguing about on the kitchen table. As I walked by to get my glass of milk, I saw one on the floor, picked it up and said, "Here, I think you dropped this." You should have seen the look in the Priest's eyes! I can remember him really freaking out, and as he was leaving, telling my father to find out if I had seen anything.

My father really went hard on the interrogation with me up in my room. He asked me over and over if I had seen anything, I was crying, and he was threatening me with the belt and everything. Finally my mother came to my rescue, and told him he could believe me if I said I didn't see anything.

But I lied. I did see a what was on the page. It was a copy of an old looking document with a symbol at the top with two crossed keys. Later on I figured out that was the Papal Seal.

But I'm rambling... sorry!

Anyway, so I'm just wondering, do you think just like adults keep certain truths from children, that maybe the Church/religion is used to keep truths from us?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 30, '12, 10:30 am

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnySumo View Post
Anyway, so I'm just wondering, do you think just like adults keep certain truths from children, that maybe the Church/religion is used to keep truths from us?

Thanks again!
You use the passive voice in your question: "...the Church/religion is used to..."

Passive voice hides the subject of the action and begs the question, "Who/what is using the Church?" God? Angels? Demons? Aliens from another planet? Human beings?

The point I want to make (while skipping the steps to get to it) is that the question of "if" is not nearly so interesting as the questions about "who/what?" and "why?" I would suggest that the three questions cannot be satisfactorily answered separately.

I can think of another question: If some entity is using the Church and/or religion to hide something from the people, then is it for the good of the people?
Old Jun 30, '12, 10:46 am
Trial Membership

Wow... I believe wholeheartedly that there are things that the church and the priests keep from children at first, but through the years, and through teachings and education and research our knowledge and understanding grows. I believe Religion was supposed to die when Christianity was born... I have faith in this, and believe that our Lord came to this earth in the human flesh to take care of this... To make this happen! And I believe that some of the knowledge we gain through the years as a Catholic is what gears us to understand and accept this concept. There is no way as a child one can understand the whole complex ins and outs of our Catholic faith... We as adults have many questions, and debates over different areas of the beliefs of our faith (I.e. Your parents and this priest) so with that understanding why would any of us (especially parents) believe that our children would be able to grasp things that we adults can't always comprehend? Make sense?
Old Jun 30, '12, 10:50 am
Account Under Review

"Ripcord" has a military overtone, and if you could give the time frame of these encounters, it might help place the topic of interest and nature of the secrecy involved. I'm looking through the Venona de-crypts of Soviet documents but this has to be hand-checked from the government website as you can't search these scruffy PDF files reliably. Maybe this was a Ratline thing; or something on the order of that revealed by Bella Dodd (Communist who converted to Catholicism under Sheen), i.e., that Communists infiltrated seminaries with unsuitiable types. There are no secret doctrines in Catholicism, as God has commanded us to shout from the rooftops and give freely to the poor all that the Good News entails. Secret doctrines, like secret marriage, are forensically impossible, not legal, not kosher, not possible.

http://www.nsa.gov/public_info/decla...apr_1942.shtml

Last edited by nordskoven; Jun 30, '12 at 10:51 am. Reason: clarity
Old Jun 30, '12, 11:56 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHW View Post
You use the passive voice in your question: "...the Church/religion is used to..."

Passive voice hides the subject of the action and begs the question, "Who/what is using the Church?" God? Angels? Demons? Aliens from another planet? Human beings?

The point I want to make (while skipping the steps to get to it) is that the question of "if" is not nearly so interesting as the questions about "who/what?" and "why?" I would suggest that the three questions cannot be satisfactorily answered separately.

I can think of another question: If some entity is using the Church and/or religion to hide something from the people, then is it for the good of the people?
From what I did hear during my parent's conversations - with and without the Priest being present - it had to do with a human being. LOL about the aliens!

AND YES! "For the good of the people" seemed to be mentioned many times in the conversations. I didn't remember that until now! Actually, more along the lines of, "All mankind should be allowed to have this knowledge, who is the Church to keep it from them?"

Huh.
Old Jul 2, '12, 11:02 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordskoven View Post
"Ripcord" has a military overtone, and if you could give the time frame of these encounters, it might help place the topic of interest and nature of the secrecy involved.
Gee, I don't know about the Military overtones... but that's kind of interesting.

Didn't know about the Russian conspiracies - are those for real?

The discussions between the Priest and my parents took place back in the 1960's, I believe 1968 or so.

But the copy of whatever it was I saw on the floor definitely looked a lot older than that.

If this helps, the Papal Seal I saw on the page had two crossed keys, a crown, and a shield with 6-7-8(?) horizontal lines on it (nothing else on the shield). I drew a picture of it after I got yelled at by my father.
Old Jul 2, '12, 11:05 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHasRisen View Post
We as adults have many questions, and debates over different areas of the beliefs of our faith (I.e. Your parents and this priest) so with that understanding why would any of us (especially parents) believe that our children would be able to grasp things that we adults can't always comprehend? Make sense?
Yes, thanks for your input, it does make sense. But, do you think there is more to this? Do you think that the Roman Catholic Church is acting... perhaps as our guardian, keeping information from us just to keep us safe?

That's really how I feel as I reflect back on my parent's conversations.

Again, just curious.
Old Jul 2, '12, 11:47 am

Quote:
Yes, thanks for your input, it does make sense. But, do you think there is more to this? Do you think that the Roman Catholic Church is acting... perhaps as our guardian, keeping information from us just to keep us safe?

That's really how I feel as I reflect back on my parent's conversations.

Again, just curious.
God reveals exactly what we need to know-and when.

We will never, and can never figure Him out-He is not a bigger version of us.

God the Holy Spirit leads the Church, The Body of Christ.

Truth (God) is revealed on a "need to know basis" (for the lack of a better way to put it).
For instance, Adam & Eve knew God the Father.
Later, Christ revealed Himself being the Messiah, as the Son of God.
When you see Him, you see the Father.
And, the Holy Spirit is God with us, as He promised to never leave us alone.

If we knew it all, we couldn't handle it.

What in the world do you believe may be being held back?

+Jesus, I Trust in You!
Love, Dawn
"Say the Rosary every day...Pray, pray a lot and offer sacrifices for sinners...I'm Our Lady of the Rosary. Only I will be able to help you. ...In the end My Immaculate Heart will triumph." -Our Lady at Fatima

The Blue Army
Rosary Confraternity
Old Jul 2, '12, 12:08 pm
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnInTexas View Post
If we knew it all, we couldn't handle it.

What in the world do you believe may be being held back?
Hi Dawn,

I have no idea what may be held back - if anything at all.

But, do you believe religion/the Church could be a partner in hiding worldly truths from us in order to protect us from harm?

Btw, I'm with you on all of your Holy views, that's just not the focus of my question. My question is man-based, not God-based.

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, '12, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Hi Dawn,

I have no idea what may be held back - if anything at all.

But, do you believe religion/the Church could be a partner in hiding worldly truths from us in order to protect us from harm?

Btw, I'm with you on all of your Holy views, that's just not the focus of my question. My question is man-based, not God-based.

Thanks!
I will say this: You'll never know it all. Fascinating, our Faith!

What do you want to know about, that you believe is being held back?

Let's discuss.

How about-what's coming?

+Jesus, I Trust in You!
Love, Dawn

The Blue Army
Rosary Confraternity
Old Jul 3, '12, 6:40 am
Trial Membership

I am not sure the church itself tries to hide issues to safeguard, not these days at least... I know the church I go to has committees that address many different issues both in the church and secular. The seal that you saw sounds like Pope Paul IV (1555-1559), I do know there was some controversy as far as his political views in the Papal office... If I were you, I would research him a bit and see if something about his life as pope rings a bell in conversations you heard or things you saw. And remember, priests are human, and will sin just as you and I. they have different world views and can get caught up in conspiracy theories and things of that nature just like anyone else. Just remember this while you do your research! I pray that you don't let this consume you because there are many issues today that can use our energy and time. I hope you do find what you are looking for though so that you can put your mind to ease!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence